ForumsNews and FeedbackReactivate adblocker

5 4733
boplayer
boplayer
16 posts
Nomad

Hi
I post this message to inform you that I have decided to reactivate my adblock tool on Armorgames’s website.

During previous discussions, several members convinced me to desactivate it. But now I see irrelevant and visually agressive ads. There's no popup but I really dislike the advertising creations that appear.

I love ArmorGames but I wait for a user experience which is equally enjoyable, either gaming or advertising and it's not the case. I now can deactivate a new time my adblocker. I've done it for Newsgrounds. But I will do it only if I feel a better ad experience.

I understand ArmorGames has no control about advertising that are served but it's of course the problem. First of all, there can be a banner explaining why ad are necessary for the website ; explaining how the website improve its ad experience.

Best

• 5 Replies
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

During previous discussions, several members convinced me to deactivate it.

Then you understand the logic behind it. Which means that the arguments that convinced you are still there.

But now I see irrelevant and visually agressive ads. There's no popup but I really dislike the advertising creations that appear.

You know you can inform the staff members of the games and, if you have any, post screenshots with those annoying ads. The admins are known to frequently take down annoying, unskippable or otherwise aggressive ads like the ones you are talking about.

But I will do it only if I feel a better ad experience.

Ad experience has nothing to do with Armor Games. Like you yourself pointed out, AG has no control over the ads you are shown, as ads are powered by Google. Therefore this argument really does not make sense. Why does Newgrounds offer a better ad experience as you put it?

The only thing I can think of here is that you got lucky with your gaming sessions there and didn't get that many annoying ads. Over which, like already stated and like you acknowledged, the site has no control.

First of all, there can be a banner explaining why ad are necessary for the website ; explaining how the website improve its ad experience.

Since you admitted to understanding the reasoning behind the existence of ads and the discouragement of the use of adblockers, please explain to me how that banner would help you personally. It would probably not tell you anything that you don't know already.

In conclusion:

- There are many valid reasons to refrain from using adblockers like you yourself admitted
- Annoying or aggressive ads can be reported and are known to be blocked by the admins
- AG has no control over the ads you are getting. In fact, Google uses your browsing preferences, stored cookies and collected data in general to show you the ads so those ads are probably based or related to what you usually search around the net.
- If that wasn't enough, then let me give you another reason. AG is not compatible with adblock plus or any other type of adblocker that I know of. So many site features will start malfunctioning, including games. Many users who reactivated their adblockers reported all sorts of problems after that.
- Finally, there is also the option of purchasing Armor Games' Ad Free Gaming +. At a very small price you will enjoy some ergonomic features (like playing games with the possibility of a 'lights off' and a 'fullscreen' mode), along with new armatars and absolutely no ads anywhere on the site. If you can't stand them at all, then you can always pay to remove them. The price is not even high after all.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Double post because there is something to add (and also to @ summon you, @boplayer )

I suggest you also take a look at this thread. The problem of long ads is explained in detail there. There is always the possibility of malware as you can see

boplayer
boplayer
16 posts
Nomad

Hello,

"Then you understand the logic behind it. Which means that the arguments that convinced you are still there."
Of course I understand and that's why I decided to deactivate the adblock for Armorgames.

"The admins are known to frequently take down annoying, unskippable or otherwise aggressive ads like the ones you are talking about."
I'm sure they do a good work and I don't talk about these kind of formats. I talk about video ads loaded before a game launches or ad background format.

"Ad experience has nothing to do with Armor Games. Like you yourself pointed out, AG has no control over the ads you are shown, as ads are powered by Google."
Of course it has !!! I totally disagree with you ! Armor Games has made the choice to work with Google and it makes a big difference.

"Why does Newgrounds offer a better ad experience as you put it?"
I have a better feeling with the ad experience on this site than on Armor Games. It's just an example.

"Since you admitted to understanding the reasoning behind the existence of ads and the discouragement of the use of adblockers, please explain to me how that banner would help you personally. It would probably not tell you anything that you don't know already."
I agree with you. If the banner just inform me about the fact this website is free because of ads so that I need to deactivate the adwork, it won't work. But a banner can also give some information and start some kind of discussion : tell me how many guys has deactivate adblock, tell me what admins do regularly to stop intrusive formats... I don't know.

"- There are many valid reasons to refrain from using adblockers like you yourself admitted"
The problem is not advertising business model of this website. What is a problem for me is the ad experience that is proposed on this website. I don't say Armor Games has the worst ad experience on the web (of course it doesn't ), I just say it could be improve. And it's not sufficient to say AG has no control.

"- If that wasn't enough, then let me give you another reason. AG is not compatible with adblock plus or any other type of adblocker that I know of. So many site features will start malfunctioning, including games. Many users who reactivated their adblockers reported all sorts of problems after that."
I am not sure to understand your points ? Do you mean that this website decides not to change anything and destroy user experience of those one who has activated an adblock ? In France, some medias has tried this strategy and it was catastrophic. It's absolutely irrespectuous from user, I can't imagine AG act like that.
If your point is to say adblock isn't the best solution to keep watching ads, of course I agree with you.

"- Finally, there is also the option of purchasing Armor Games' Ad Free Gaming +. At a very small price you will enjoy some ergonomic features (like playing games with the possibility of a 'lights off' and a 'fullscreen' mode), along with new armatars and absolutely no ads anywhere on the site. If you can't stand them at all, then you can always pay to remove them. The price is not even high after all."
I am not fan of this kind of model where you clearly assume ad experience is catastrophic on your website. I could understand if the premium version brings me something more.
Don't imagine I play on Armor Games without bringing everything. When I like a game, I Talk about it on my twitter account. It's a few thing but I do this.

Thank you, Doombreed ! I havn't this problem but this thread is interesting.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@boplayer

I'm sure they do a good work and I don't talk about these kind of formats. I talk about video ads loaded before a game launches or ad background format.

Now it's me who is not exactly sure what format you are talking about. I am pretty sure the admins can take down any ad, be it a video ad before a game or an ad in the background or anything. They often do.

Of course it has !!! I totally disagree with you ! Armor Games has made the choice to work with Google and it makes a big difference.

Allowing a specific kind of ads is...weird to say the least. From what I see you are saying that AG has partnered with Google and that's what makes the ads so annoying and aggressive while other sites like Newgrounds have not? I assume it depends very much on the offers, if Google pays more for ads, it is pretty logical to choose them over any other ad host. I have no idea if it depends on allowing Google or not, I am not sure what kind of deal AG has with its business partners, so I can't talk about it. Feel free to ask an admin, RavePenguin does a pretty good work with questions and support, as you can see in the thread I linked about annoying ads. But I imagine I know what kind of answer you will be getting...

But a banner can also give some information and start some kind of discussion : tell me how many guys has deactivate adblock, tell me what admins do regularly to stop intrusive formats... I don't know.

Some guys actually do deactivate their adblockers, especially after other users point out that that's the reason site features malfunction. And the admins do stop intrusive format. The thread I linked in my second post shows the work they are doing in their end and the encouragement they provide for us to look over our end (malware is a frequent problem. Like RavePenguin stated in that thread, any ad that is 30 seconds or longer and is unable to be skipped is not part of AG but probably the result of malware hijacking your browser to show you more annoying ads. The way I understand it, AG simply doesn't permit this kind of annoying ads if they are 30 seconds or longer, probably setting the bar down at 15 seconds maximum. So what I want to highlight is that ad problems may often be on your end. Check your computer for malware, an antivirus scan or the freeware Malwarebytes can help a lot in that.)

I am not sure to understand your points ? Do you mean that this website decides not to change anything and destroy user experience of those one who has activated an adblock ? In France, some medias has tried this strategy and it was catastrophic. It's absolutely irrespectuous from user, I can't imagine AG act like that.

No I am saying that it is simply not compatible with AdBlockers and especially Google's adblock plus. Games crash, or not even load, so trying to play them stops at an indefinite black screen, some armatars are not visible (users' profile pics like your shield), other games lag or have no sound. As to the reasons why this is happening, I haven't got the faintest idea. You will have to ask the admins about it. But I would tread lightly if I were you. AdBlockers are, as you know a sensitive issue and asking the admins why their site is not compatible with this kind of software can be easily misunderstood.

So, I am not saying that AG did or did not decide not to change anything and destroy user experience. I cannot say anything on that matter, because I don't know what they decided. All I am saying is that it simply is incompatible. It is what it is. Simple fact, with the problems I mentioned above

I am not fan of this kind of model where you clearly assume ad experience is catastrophic on your website. I could understand if the premium version brings me something more.
Don't imagine I play on Armor Games without bringing everything. When I like a game, I Talk about it on my twitter account. It's a few thing but I do this.

Well, the premium version does bring something more because it has all the benefits I listed aside from no ads (new game modes, new armatars, etc.). And also a new forum but since hardly anyone goes to the forums anymore and since that forum has been dead for months now, I left that benefit out of my post.
Now I am not sure why you don't like this model as you said. The premium version does have new features, so for the price, it provides a suitable gaming experience. If you are asking for my personal opinion, I think it is neither over or under priced. It takes a small sum and delivers new features, it is a pretty straightforward deal.

Well, a productive discussion about ads should be interesting for anyone having doubts, we seem to be getting a lot of hate about them after all.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

1 Choice ≠ Control
2 He was restating something you wrote in your opening post. Therefore, to disagree, you must also disagree with yourself.
3 Would you care to suggest an ad provider that would be more suited to AG's needs?

I have a better feeling with the ad experience on this site than on Armor Games. It's just an example.
But it's a poor example that doesn't help with anything. You're telling us that AG needs to do something about its ads, but you aren't saying what it is.

But a banner can also give some information and start some kind of discussion : tell me how many guys has deactivate adblock, tell me what admins do regularly to stop intrusive formats... I don't know.
Again, you aren't being clear about what you want done. In what way would this information be at all useful if you're going to use ad blocks anyway? Where should this banner be and how much space would it need?

I don't say Armor Games has the worst ad experience on the web (of course it doesn't ), I just say it could be improve.
Okay ... How?

... What?
If you mean something more than what Doombreed listed, it does. There's a full list, but I don't know where it is; @Ferret should know.
If you mean that AFG+ should have more features, feel free to suggest some.

AdBlockers are, as you know a sensitive issue and asking the admins why their site is not compatible with this kind of software can be easily misunderstood.
If memory serves, this started happening because one or more ad blocks were updated to target a wider variety of flash applications, which included several of the flash games.
Showing 1-5 of 5