ForumsArt, Music, and WritingCONTEST: Creepypasta for Dinner

28 18019
DoraDoraBoBora
DoraDoraBoBora
116 posts
Nomad

Hello boils and ghouls and spectres of all sorts! Something you might not know about me is that I love horror. Scary games, movies, books... I'm all about it, even if it means I spend most of my time in bed eyeballing that shadow in the corner of the room that is probably the vacuum cleaner but might also be the voiceless woman who crawls up from the drains to steal your breath while you sleep.

In that same vein, I also love creepypastas, which, for the unaware, are simply internet scary stories people write up and pass around, typically of the urban legend or "this happened to a friend of a friend of mine" variety. So, I thought we could have a contest to see who can craft the spine-tingliest creepypasta!

http://i.imgur.com/LO3UGZZ.gif

THE GIST: Write an original scary story (five hundred words minimum) about anything you wish and post it in this thread. The three winners will be chosen by me! Don't let fear about not being a "good enough" writer hold you back from entering. This is for fun, general spoopiness, and to encourage creativity!

THE DEADLINE: August 6th, 2016

THE RULES: Original content only! Don't plagiarize someone else's writing or story, and don't borrow from other works. In other words, even if it's an entirely new story written by you, don't write something about, say, Slenderman or the girl from The Ring. Be creative! Also, Try to keep things PG-13. You don't need excessive adult content to be scary.

THE PRIZES: Three (3) writers will win one copy each of Super Chibi Knight and GemCraft: Chasing Shadows on Steam. Everyone who participates will get a merit!

• 28 Replies
bakkart
bakkart
636 posts
Prince

The Threshold of Obsession

Listen. We don’t have much time. They’re coming. But you should know who they are and why we’re in such terrible danger.

You see my name badge shows my department as “Delta Scanning Research,” and you’ve probably never heard of Delta Scanning, right? Things have come full circle for me in this scanning research, since the whole reason I wanted to develop new scanning methods came about because of my fascination with death. Ironic, huh?

It all started with my wondering what an MRI or CAT scan would show if a person died while in the middle of the scan. Yes, you’re right – a TV pretended to show this a few years ago, but that was highly fictionalized, of course. The number of people who have died in any scan is really small, and the images are really nothing out of the ordinary. There’s one CAT scan from 1978 that shows a strange circle of light in a dying woman’s brain, and then there’s a couple of MRI scans that show image distortions upon the patients’ dying.

Despite the limited number of examples, this idea of showing a person’s moment of death consumed me; there had to be something more out there that would give us a better glimpse of that moment on the threshold of death. I thought the newer PET scans would provide us with some innovations, but that’s proven just as inconclusive as the other scans.

Between the X-Rays of CAT scans, the magnetic waves of MRIs, and the radioisotopes of PET scans, no special moment of death was being recorded. The solution seemed so simple, but it was very radical at the time – why not do all three at the same time? That combination isn’t so difficult in itself, necessarily, but the next hurdle – finding someone about to die and getting them into our new Delta Scanner – was very frustrating. Here I was on the brink of amazing research, and I was being denied by short-sighted administrators who were all worried about appearance and lawsuits.

All this development and testing took years, of course, but even though Delta Scanning was providing some great new avenues for discovering cancer and other diseases, I was not satisfied. What would Delta show when a person died? I’ve spent the last two years waiting for an opportunity, deciding early on to bend the rules if necessary.

My chance came just last week. I’ve been hovering around ER in the past couple of months hoping that some accident victim, some bar room brawler, some traumatized athlete would fall into my lap, so to speak. Five days ago, on Friday, there was that major gas explosion downtown that killed 15 people, remember that? Our ER was swamped with dozens of injured and dying, and the doctors had to do some quick triage to determine who was likely to be saved … and who was going to die. One young man was “black tagged,” and put on a gurney in the hallway. As the chaos swirled around, I stepped forward and discovered that he was still alive. His wallet was on his chest, and I took a few seconds to find out his name was Kevin Vanden Berg.

I glanced around and saw that no one was paying us any attention so I immediately wheeled the gurney down the hallway and toward the elevators. I got to up to the third floor and Delta without any problem, and since it was fortunately late at night, I was able to try my experiment all on my own. I loaded Kevin gently into the scanner, even though it was a messy process with his open wounds. At one horrible moment his eyes flew open and he tried to say something but only blood gurgled out.

What? Scary? No, no – it was horrible because I thought he had died on me already. He hadn’t quite yet, but I had no time to lose. Once he was in place and injected with the colored isotope solution, I started Delta up and waited.

As usual, Delta began showing its crystal clear pictures of Kevin’s body, making his injuries especially apparent. With broken bones, collapsed lungs, organ damage, internal bleeding, and brain trauma, it was no wonder the doctors had determined him beyond help. After a few minutes, the EKG (which had been already faltering) began to jump and dance even more. This was it! Kevin was about to die! Breathlessly I watched the images. What would Delta show me about death?

At the moment Kevin flatlined, Delta suddenly showed a gaping black hole roughly where Kevin’s head should have been, an immensely dark hole ringed with light that seemed to be somehow flowing into the hole. Upon closer examination, though, it was the converse – the hole was flowing outwards. After a few seconds of this, a face appeared in this hole. A face of such malevolency and hatred that I took a step back, especially when it seemed to notice me. In a glance I saw fangs, an incredibly wide flat nose, and thin, red glowing eyes, all framed by a narrow gray face with tiny stubby ears. This face looked at me, and then looked back into the hole. With a jerk of his head that even at the time seemed to indicate “Come with me,” he looked back at me and started to climb out of the screen’s hole and into the control room.

With an impossible number of spidery arms and legs crawling out at me, and with dozens more of the evil faces appearing behind the first, I confess I panicked. I ran blindly out of the control room and into the main hallway, hearing skittering sounds of hard limbs on the floor tiles. I punched the elevator controls as you’re not supposed to do, and when the doors opened, I jumped inside just as two of the creatures tumbled out of Delta Research. They caught glimpse of me and chittered in a high-pitched painful tone that turned my knees to jelly. I sank to the elevator floor, and as the doors closed just in time, I saw them rush up angrily. As the elevator went up, I could hear their furious scratching on the third floor doors.

The rest I think you all know. How these creatures not only slaughtered personnel and patients throughout all the hospital, but have spread into the city beyond. Ferocious and voracious, and immune to most weapons, they hunt out all living creatures to shred and eat them in a flash. They can’t get through basic barriers of glass or metal easily, and they don’t like cold. And, yes, that’s we’re down here in the morgue among all the dead. But once they find their prey, they don’t give up until the prey is decimated.

Listen. We don’t have much time. They’re coming. You can hear their claws skittering in the hallway outside. But you should know before you die just how sorry I am. I thought you should know.

DoraDoraBoBora
DoraDoraBoBora
116 posts
Nomad

DAWN OF FINAL DAY. 24 HOURS REMAIN.

xTheLonePixelx
xTheLonePixelx
46 posts
Peasant

^ Zelda Majora's Mask?

etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

The One with No Name

Void /void/
Adjective - Completely empty.
Noun - A completely empty space.
UNKNOWN - My own little corner of hell.

Nothingness. that was all i could(n't) see. all around me. there was no light. i am just floating there, as there is no floor. or am i falling? is there a floor, and i simply have not reached it yet? i shudder at that thought. or at least, i think so. it is hard to tell if anything is happening here. i look down, just to see what i am clothed in.

That was the wrong thing to do.

i look down, and i see no body of my own. just what seems to be corporeal darkness. i try to lift my hands to my face. nothing happens. i think i see movement, but when i look again, just the same darkness. 'is there no light, and so, i cannot see anything?' i think to myself. 'or... so i not exist?' this thought makes me shudder again. or at least try to. 'okay...' i think to myself. 'dont panic, could just be that there is no light, as i said befo--' before i could finish that thought, i saw something below me. getting larger. or... getting closer? as i look even more, i find that it is a light. 'Yes!' i think. 'now i can i can finally see something!' the light grows closer and closer, until... it stops growing. i am no longer moving towards it. wait. was a falling, or walking, or... now i can't even tell which way is up. 'Neis' (A/N, My own language. don't ask.) i think to myself. 'lets go check what i look like.' as i bring my hands up, i see something. Darkness in the shape of a hand.

i wake up. stumbling out of my bed. i instantly look down, realizing it was simply a dream. i think to myself, 'what a strange dream. heh, that just sounds cliched.' i chuckle to myself, as i go to get dressed. but, as i am getting dressed, i notice something. The area of skin over my heart was far darker than it was the night before, a very dark grey. strange.
*the next night...*

as i got to sleep, i am worried about that mark. part of me wants to think it is just some paint, but some small part, thinks it is not. regardless, i need to sleep sometime, so i go to sleep.

I am in the void again. 'this thing again? really?' this time, i know whats coming, so i simply wait for the light to appear. it all happens over again, but this time, after seeing my hands, i don't wake up. i decide to see what the rest of me looks like. i then postion my self over the light by simply thinking about it, and when i look down, i see a void of black in the shape of a human.

i wake up, instantly looking down once again, and i notice a black tinge creeping up my neck and shoulder. wondering what it is, i tear of my nightshirt.

the black section of skin over my heart had grown. it now encompassed most of my torso, as well as my neck and shoulder. and it seemed to be GROWING. now i was worried. or was i? it is becoming harder to think straight. what was i talking about? regardless, i got dressed.
*the next night*

i went to see my doctor today. but when i got to see him, he was strangled. suffice to say i was terrified. after informing the nurse, i instantly came home. changing into my nightclothes, i went to sleep.

Void. 'I am starting to think this dream is cursed...' i think to myself. all happens again, but this time, it goes even further. as soon as i see my body as a void again, i see something else in the void. a skull. flaming with a purple fire, it comes closer. i want to run, but i cannot. soon, the skull is right in front of me. it seems to look me in the eye.

I wake up. or did i? for that matter, WHO am i? i look down. finding a void in the place of my body. my memory... gone. my purpose. decimated. as of now, i have but one goal. find those who live their lives in a routine manner. and give them the curse of this dream. for now, i am one of the many. those who know are next. i am. THE ONE WITH NO NAME. and those who have a name...

...won't have it for much longer.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@DoraDoraBoBora It appears to be bumping week for all the contests this one So, what's the status of this here contest? xD

DoraDoraBoBora
DoraDoraBoBora
116 posts
Nomad

I knew I was forgetting something! Sorry, I'm doing a lot of juggling recently! And the winners are...

EmperporPalpatine, for Sleesh.
Nichodemus, for Hungry Ghost Festival.
bakkart, for The Threshold of Obsession.

Thanks to everyone for submitting! Winners, please keep an eye on your e-mail for a message from me with your codes to redeem. I loved reading all these delicious creepypastas, and we'll come up with another writing challenge soon!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Very nice reading all the creepypasta. Look forward to seeing more contests!

huwbert2013
huwbert2013
239 posts
Bard

Some really good competition there. Well done guys.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Congratulations to the winners!

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Congratulations to the winners!!

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Of the valid entries, those are the ones I would've picked. If they were ranked, bakkart would've won because I like a lot of technical detail in a creepypasta. ivanxxxxxxx's Don't Turn Back would've done very well if the choppy, hurried formatting was intentional to mirror the rushed situation, and became normal when the dream ended.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Of the valid entries, those are the ones I would've picked. If they were ranked, bakkart would've won because I like a lot of technical detail in a creepypasta. ivanxxxxxxx's Don't Turn Back would've done very well if the choppy, hurried formatting was intentional to mirror the rushed situation, and became normal when the dream ended.

bakkart's outshines everything in narrating style in my opinion. It is narrated very beautifully, but I didn't like the actual plot too much, that's the drawback for me.

If you ask me, the best was Eldu's, Hell's Messengers. The ending, the style, everything makes for a good story

Eldunari17
Eldunari17
1,229 posts
Scribe

Well done guys!! And congrats to the winners, of course

Really, Doom? *blushes*
Compared to the masters, mine is hardly worth noting.

Showing 16-28 of 28