ForumsForum GamesInterest Check / Feedback - New Arena Style Forum Game

36 25862
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Introduction

As you may know, there has been interest in doing an arena-style forum game in the past, and nivlac724 was the first to realize one (see here), but sadly he went inactive again at the end of the first round. So I worked on a new project, which will have its similarities and differences, but I need some feedback. So please, have a look at it, state your opinions, and hopefully we can get this up and running soon!

Tagging @Doombreed @Loop_Stratos @etg2002 as they also played in nivlac's game.

The prospective title of the forum game will be "The Armor Games: Battle Arena". It will be centered on the RPG Triad of Fighter, Mage and Thief, but allowing individual flexibility. Two players will fight against each other in an arena. Players can move around and attack the opponent if within reach. I don't want to limit the absolute size of the arena as this could be used to force mage and thief oriented characters into melee range, but I might limit maximum distance between opponents (e.g. range 5). Multiple duels can occur simultaneously. At first I will only do 1v1 duels; 2v2 and championships are possible ideas for the future.

Character Creation

There will be Attributes, Skills and Abilities. Attributes and skills are the same for everyone (their respective values will vary, though); abilities can be selected.

Attributes:

• Health Points
  • Magicka Points (for spell-casting)
  • Fatigue Points (for melee and ranged attacks)

Attributes are the overall stats. MPs and FPs regenerate by a certain amount each turn. Health, magicka and fatigue are governed by their respective skill:

Skills:

• Strength: Determines the base amount of HP, the melee damage dealt, and what armor type can be worn (light/medium/heavy).
  • Intelligence: Determines your MP regeneration, the intensity/damage of your spells, and how many spells you can select (1-3).
  • Agility: Determines your FP regeneration, your critical hit rate, and how many sidearms you can carry (1-3).

Each character has a base value of 5 for each skill and 20 skill points can be freely distributed. There are three tiers for each skill: Tier 1 at 10 points, Tier 2 at 15 points and Tier 3 at 20 points. Each tier will unlock new features as well as improve the governed attribute. I made an example of an empty and a filled-out character sheet at the end of this post to make this more clear.

Each turn, up to 2 actions can be made. Actions include: (1) Move one field; (2) use item(potion); (3) use ability. Using an ability immediately ends the turn. Moving a second field is possible, but requires AGI T2 and costs 15 FP

Abilities:
Abilities are the various actions that can be taken during a fight. Base abilities are the standard actions that can potentially be used by everyone. Passive abilities are small bonuses, while active abilities are, in a way, special moves (which typically cost more MP/FP or need certain specific requirements). Below, I propose a list of available abilities; I also propose that each player can only pick a certain amount, for example, 2 active and 1 passive abilities, for character creation.

Base abilities
- Attack. A regular attack, melee or ranged, which consumes FP. Ranged attacks require a ranged sidearm equipped and thus at least Tier 1 Agility unlocked.
- Cast Spell. This casts a spell and consumes MP. Requires a spell equipped and thus at least Tier 1 Intelligence unlocked.
- Strong Attack. Melee only, does more damage and consumes more FP. Doesn't affect sidearms.
- Concentrate. Use this turn to regenerate twice as many MP and FP and take only half damage next turn.

Active Abilities
- Holy Strike (deal melee damage at any range, always hits)
- Leap (walk one more field, take x1.2 dmg next attack)
- Rage (melee attack, twice as strong as regular attack)
- Wrath (5 spell bolts that do a little damage each)
- Blast Wave (regular magic attack with 50% chance of stunning the opponent for 1 turn)
- Targeted Attack (doubles chance of doing critical damage)
- Assassin (poisons opponent for 3 turns)
- Combo (6 consecutive attacks with dagger, each has 50% chance to hit)

- Turtle (block chance=50%, requires STR 10)
- Ward (take 50% dmg (melee/magic), requires INT 10)
- Ninja (evade=50%, requires AGI 10)

Passive Abilities
- Wall (increase chance to block with your shield)
- Witch Hunter (increases resistance to spells)
- Nimble (doubles chance to evade an attack)
- Tough Hide (increased armor rating)
- Protector (shield spell lasts 1 more turn)
- Healer (each casted spell heals 2HP)

Finally, we get to the equipment section, such as weapons, armor and spells.

Armor
There are five possible options: Unarmored, Mage Robes, Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor. As mentioned before, light/medium/heavy armor is unlocked depending on the strength tier. Light armor has the lowest armor rating (% of physical damage absorbed) but offers a small bonus to FP regeneration. Heavy armor is the best protection, but comes with a small penalty in FP regeneration. Medium armor is, well, in the middle.

If you don't invest any point in strength, you are left with two options. Unarmored means you take full damage, but offers a larger bonus to FP regeneration. Mage Robes offer no physical protection, but a bonus to MP regeneration; you need tier 2 intelligence to use mage robes.

Shields are worn together with a one-handed weapon and replace the base evade chance with a substantially larger chance to fully block an attack. There are two shield types: Shield and Tower Shield. The Tower Shield is twice as likely to block an attack and is more effective against 2h weapons, but comes with a small penalty in FP regeneration. Blocking a strong attack reduces some of the defender's FP.

Weapons
Here again I propose five options: Sword, Axe, Mace, Polearm and Staff. The first three are the conventional melee weapons; they come in two variations, one-handed and two-handed (i.e. Greatsword, Battleaxe, War Hammer). One-handed weapons come with a shield (except if you carry sidearms), while two-handed weapons deal double damage. Axes deal slightly more damage than swords and use one more FP, maces deal slightly more damage than axes and use two more FP compared to a sword.

Polearms are always two-handed, deal 1.5 times the regular damage, but can reach opponents not only within melee range but also 1 field away.

The staff is the mage's best friend as far as weapons go. It deals a bit less damage than a sword, but offers its wielder increased spell damage (passive bonus). As with the robes it requires tier 2 intelligence to wield.

Base melee damage will be partly based on your strength level. Here is the formula I intend to use: Damage = 10 * (0.5 + STR/20). So it will range from min. 7.5 to max. 15.

Sidearms
Sidearms are unlocked with agility tiers. The dagger is the only melee sidearm, deals a bit more than half damage and can be wielded together with a one-handed weapon; in this case, both will contribute to damage. There are three ranged sidearms: Throwing Weapons (e.g. stars, darts), Crossbow, and Longbow. All ranged weapons require at least one free field between opponents (range 2 and higher). Throwing weapons and crossbows can be worn together with a one-handed weapon, but not used simultaneously. Instead, you can either use melee or ranged attacks. Longbows require both hands. You can switch configuration during a fight; you can move while switching or remain standing, in both cases it uses up a turn. Throwing weapons are the only weapons that can also be used while moving (ranged attack), but this comes with a penalty in accuracy. Longbows are best at long range (max damage at range 4 and more), the crossbow is best at intermediate range (max damage at range 3), and throwing weapons are best at short range (max damage at range 2). Since range is of the essence for an agility-based character, tier 3 agility allows to move 2 fields at once.

Spells
Spells work at any range and require MP to be cast, also at least tier 1 intelligence. This is my list of spells to be chosen from:
- Fire spell: deals regular magicka damage plus a small amount of additional burning damage
- Frost spell: deals regular magicka damage plus some additional damage to the opponent's FP
- Shock spell: deals regular magicka damage plus some additional damage to the opponent's MP
- Shield: casts a magical shield around the player, reducing physical and magical damage taken for 3 turns
- Summon Familiar: summons a familiar that deals melee damage to the opponent. Comes in three levels, depending on the player's intelligence tier (if cast away from opponent, will have to move within melee range first)
- Teleport: instantly teleports caster to range 3 (when in melee range)

Spell damage is equal to your intelligence level. For example, a base fire spell with 20 intelligence will deal 20 damage (plus burning damage).

Customization
You will be able to customize your character's equipment without influencing the stats; for example, if you choose the sword and shield, you can name them 'Saber' and 'Targe' for example as long as the type (here 'Sword' and 'Shield') are put in brackets next to the name. Same goes for armor and sidearms.

Races
You can choose a race you want to play as. Racial bonuses might be added; for now they are purely cosmetic.

Potions
Every duelist starts with 6 potions in the inventory: 2 Health potions, 2 Mana potions and 2 Recovery potions. A potion regenerates 20 points of health, magicka or fatigue, respectively.

Now, I think this is all there is to say so far. So please, have a look at it and tell me if you'd want to play this, and don't hold back on questions or feedback!

Examples

Empty character sheet:

Name
Race(?)

HP=100
MP=100 + 10/turn
FP=100 + 10/turn

STR: 5/20
INT: 5/20
AGI: 5/20

Armor: -
Weapon: -
Spells: -
Sidearms: -

Abilities:
- Attack (melee)
- Attack (ranged)
- Cast Spell
- Strong Attack
- Concentrate

Inventory:
- Health potion (2)
- Mana potion (2)
- Recovery potion (2)

Example of a finished sheet:

Sir Testalot
Human

HP=130
MP=100 + 12/turn
FP=100 + 10/turn

STR: 20/20
INT: 10/20
AGI: 5/20

Armor: Heavy
Weapon: Excalibur(Sword), Shield
Spells: Summon T1 Familiar
Sidearms: -

Abilities:
- Attack (melee)
- Cast Spell
- Strong Attack
- Concentrate
- Wall
- Holy Strike
- Rage

Inventory:
- Health potion (2)
- Mana potion (2)
- Recovery potion (2)

• 36 Replies
Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

I will join.

1. What if a tier 3 agi Character uses leap?
2. Does combo have any special effects with a melee sidearm(besides more damage)?
3. Can a character move and attack in the same turn, or not?
3a. If not, maybe make Polearms able to hit when they move away, while other melees cannot? And remove 1 field advantage.
4. I'd say races can be kept as cosmetic.
5. Any thoughts about a shop/level system?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Glad to see you're interested!

1. I made Leap with a fighter char in mind, so it is fixed at walking 2 fields. Of course this makes it uninteresting for AGI T3 chars, but I tried to give a few options for each type so I haven't considered it a loss.

2. Combo is designed to give 50% chance of an additional attack per attack, so if you dual-wield with a dagger, both your main weapon and your sidearm have 50% chance to hit a second time, amounting to a potential max of four hits (critical rate calculated individually). Other than that, no special effect.
Hmm. I realize now this is not much of a benefit when compared to strong attacks, on the contrary. This needs to be changed. Thanks for pointing it out!

3. Moving will take a turn. Otherwise, I think it would be too easy for a high AGI char to wear down a fighter by moving away and shooting, moving away and shooting. But if you have an idea for a fair way to have both in one turn, I'm open to suggestions.

3a. This could be an interesting alternative, although it should logically include being able to hit when moving into melee range with a polearm, too.

4. That's cool. Are you fine with the lack of Physical description as there was in nivlac's version?

5. Yes, in fact. I already talked with Doom about leveling, and we concluded that it would be easier without it. I have also considered a shop system, where you could earn currency with each win and spend it for certain upgrades. However, this was at a time when I still considered several levels for each item type; e.g. Heavy Armor could be iron, steel, ebony, etc. with increasing protection. Since I now restrict those to purely cosmetic choices, I don't see what kind of things you could spend your coin with. Do you have anything specific in mind?

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Polearms are something I thought of later on, they might not make it into the final version. Polearms are always two-handed, deal 1.5 times the regular damage, but can reach opponents not only within melee range but also 1 field away.

Ι want to argue for including that. I've had such an idea myself for some other projects On the worst case, it does not work and we remove it after testing.

I also agree in that a shop would not easily function. However if there are any ideas, sure xD

As for races, for me they could be a good addition and not necessarily a cosmetic one. Elves could get a boost in Agility, Humans a small boost in armor, demons a boost in magical resistance, orcs in weapon damage, etc. Those boosts would have to be obviously very small (I am talking 1 - 2 points tops) in order to avoid making some races better than others.

For the polearm thing, I think it's better the way it is now.

Another suggestion would be the ability to upgrade shields to Tower Shields depending on a character's strength. A "Templar Paladin" type of character should logically be able to handle a Tower shield and a normal sword if at full strength. Maybe they increase the block chance even further or work against larger weapons (id est, a Tower Shield could have a chance to block a War Hammer blow while a small one handed shield cannot, possibly). Choosing to take Tower shields should obviously also come with a penalty in something else, maybe in mobility/agility, sacrificing movement for more damage protection.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

Hmm. I realize now this is not much of a benefit when compared to strong attacks, on the contrary. This needs to be changed. Thanks for pointing it out!

I didn't really try doing that, but you're welcome just the same.

This could be an interesting alternative, although it should logically include being able to hit when moving into melee range with a polearm, too.

I wrote that with other weapons being able to hit when the enemy moves into melee range too. But if not, i guess so.

That's cool. Are you fine with the lack of Physical description as there was in nivlac's version?

To be honest, i never really care for it that much with these kinds of games, so yea.

Yes, in fact. I already talked with Doom about leveling, and we concluded that it would be easier without it. I have also considered a shop system, where you could earn currency with each win and spend it for certain upgrades. However, this was at a time when I still considered several levels for each item type; e.g. Heavy Armor could be iron, steel, ebony, etc. with increasing protection. Since I now restrict those to purely cosmetic choices, I don't see what kind of things you could spend your coin with. Do you have anything specific in mind?

Nothing in mind, just thought it'd be a little boring once all matches are done.

Also... kinda forgot to mention this, but what happened to the RPG triad of Fighter, Thief and Mage? I guess it's actually freedom in distributing points than class picking?

etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

I am having ideas about the theif character, and one thing I wish to add is the possibility of using a form of teleportation in it. For instance, instead of teleport 2 fields, it would teleport 1, yet allow me to use a ranged sidearm. Also, what precisely is the deal with the damage of ranged sidearm? Are you using one formula for all, or will it be something else?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Ι want to argue for including that. I've had such an idea myself for some other projects On the worst case, it does not work and we remove it after testing.

Very true. Seeing the reactions so far, I will definitely keep polearms for now. Yay ^^
Also, they will remain as they are now, at first. It is simply more intuitive/more easy to explain. But I will definitely keep Loop's alternative polearm system in mind.

I also agree in that a shop would not easily function. However if there are any ideas, sure xD

One possibility could be very small bonuses, like buying +1% crit rate or stuff like that.

An alternative proposition, albeit evil one, would be to make all kinds of cosmetic changes subject to charges, so if you'd want to name your sword you'd have to buy the name. This would not influence game play, but it just feels wrong...

As for races, for me they could be a good addition and not necessarily a cosmetic one. Elves could get a boost in Agility, Humans a small boost in armor, demons a boost in magical resistance, orcs in weapon damage, etc. Those boosts would have to be obviously very small (I am talking 1 - 2 points tops) in order to avoid making some races better than others.

Something like that was my idea, yes. I'll keep it open, maybe wait for more feedback on this issue.

Tower Shields

I like the idea. So for example, T3 Strength would unlock Tower Shields, right? As for compensation penalty, I think handling it like heavy armor should do the trick, meaning have it reduce FP regeneration by 2 (or more) points. I like your idea about having only tower shields block 2h weapons, but then a fighter with 1h weapon and regular shield is at a bigger disadvantage against a fighter with 2h weapon. Maybe make regular shields block 1h attacks fully, and 2h attacks 50%?
The other possibility, increasing block chance, is also an idea. Currently I set block rate at 25%. maybe I could change it to 15% and put tower shields at 30%? Or something like that.

Also... kinda forgot to mention this, but what happened to the RPG triad of Fighter, Thief and Mage? I guess it's actually freedom in distributing points than class picking?

Well, yeah. The available options are based on the classic triad, but you can pick from different 'classes' to put together something more personalized. That's why I give you 20 points to distribute; 15 would be enough to master a single class, but with 20 you can also get T2 in two different classes, for example.

For instance, instead of teleport 2 fields, it would teleport 1, yet allow me to use a ranged sidearm.

You mean change the T3 AGI bonus of walking two fields instead of one? Change it to walk normally, but be able to shoot in the same turn, is that what you mean?

Also, what precisely is the deal with the damage of ranged sidearm? Are you using one formula for all, or will it be something else?

Right, I forgot to mention that. Actually I've been rethinking this several times. For now, I use fixed amounts; throwing weapons do 5 dmg, crossbows 10 and longbow 15. Throwing weapons thus deal approximately as much damage as a dagger with the advantage of range; however, I just figured out a crossbow at range 2 with 75% damage is still better than a throwing weapon at 100% (remember that ranged weapons are more or less effective depending on range). So, why have throwing weapons at all? BUT I might have an idea how to combine this with your previous proposition: the T3 AGI bonus (walk 2 fields) would remain as it is, and as compensation throwing weapons (but neither crossbow nor longbow) can be used while moving. That way throwing weapons are not useless anymore.
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

I like the idea. So for example, T3 Strength would unlock Tower Shields, right?

Yes exactly, that's what I was thinking. The reduction in FP regeneration is also a great idea I think.

I like your idea about having only tower shields block 2h weapons, but then a fighter with 1h weapon and regular shield is at a bigger disadvantage against a fighter with 2h weapon. Maybe make regular shields block 1h attacks fully, and 2h attacks 50%? The other possibility, increasing block chance, is also an idea. Currently I set block rate at 25%. maybe I could change it to 15% and put tower shields at 30%? Or something like that.

This would depend on how blocking functions. Does it negate damage altogether? does it only reduce the damage taken? In my opinion, when blocking, you should take no damage but your FP points should be reduced with each block. Just like in Witcher 3, stamina drain to represent the effects of countering the enemy in force. My main concern with this is that with the FP reduction from Heavy Armor and a Tower shield for example, this could mean such a player would get very few FP. However, you could work with amounts of FP reduced if you go for that, so 2h weapons reduce the blocking player's FP by a sizable amount if he has a simple shield and by a smaller amount if the blocking player has a tower shield. Additionally, this system will prevent the players from being extremely defensive, it would force them to go offensive if they don't want to lose all their FP.

If however blocking means a total reduction, then maybe a 15% with a normal shield, and 30% with a Tower shield is a good idea. Though you can combine both and have Tower shields block 2h weapons at 15%, normal weapons at 30%, normal shields blocking normal weapons at 15% and 2h weapons, at...I don't know, maybe not being able to

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Blocking a hit completely negates damage. There was a misunderstanding by my fault; when I talk about block rate, I mean chance to block, not percent damage blocked. I should call it block chance to make it clear, sorry ^^

Yes, FP reduction when blocking is something I could imagine working. We'd need to fine-tune it so to make it playable for shield users, but the idea of it preventing excessive 'turtling' is brilliant. Due to the lack of a count down for abilities, we need such regulatory mechanisms to prevent repetitive behaviour.

Edit: You got me completely mixed up You can't actively block, and so the latter point is of no concern. It would be a great idea if blocking was an actual ability. Maybe it should be? M original idea was to have block chance replace evade chance, see what I mean?

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

You got me completely mixed up You can't actively block, and so the latter point is of no concern. It would be a great idea if blocking was an actual ability. Maybe it should be? M original idea was to have block chance replace evade chance, see what I mean?

Ooh, I thought blocking was an actual ability. I see. Well, I was thinking based on that. Besides you need to lift your shield to block things, just holding it at the side could mean nothing xD But by that logic, you also need to move to dodge things I suppose, so an evasion chance would feel just as wrong.

Anyway, then tweaking the block chance for each of the shields against each of the different types of weapons seems to be the best idea...

etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

You mean change the T3 AGI bonus of walking two fields instead of one? Change it to walk normally, but be able to shoot in the same turn, is that what you mean?

Essentially.

Right, I forgot to mention that. Actually I've been rethinking this several times. For now, I use fixed amounts; throwing weapons do 5 dmg, crossbows 10 and longbow 15. Throwing weapons thus deal approximately as much damage as a dagger with the advantage of range; however, I just figured out a crossbow at range 2 with 75% damage is still better than a throwing weapon at 100% (remember that ranged weapons are more or less effective depending on range)

Ok, i was thinking about this for a while, and have a few things to add. with ranged weapons, you would require an accuracy point to determine if it hits or not. so, i was thinking, depending on the weapon used and range, you could have a certain formula: for throwing weapons, this is the formula used as the chance to dodge/miss, with the bass miss chance being 10: 10 +[TargetAgility] + ([Distance] * 2) - ([UserStrength]/2) (end) The reasoning behind the strength addition is because the strength of the person will determine how good the throw is. for damage on throwing weapons, with a base of 5: 5 + ([UserStrength]/10) - [TargetArmorValue] (end) the variable UserStrength, in both equations, are used as showing the physical strength of the user and their ability to chuck a weapon at someone.

for crossbows, i recommend a fixed damage, as crossbows have little to no outside forces affecting them. however, i do recommend a formula for miss/dodging, though. like this, again, base of 10: 10 + ([TargetAgility]/2) (end) fairly simple. for longbows, RESEARCH TIME!

*5 MINUTES LATER*

Ok, mechanics of a longbow, we would have to make several subcategories to make realism, so imma just gonna ignore all that crap and move on to the formula. i will, however, recommend you add a grading system, so you can buy or create weapons that are more intricate with different grades and damages. oops, did i do a tangent? sorry, formula, right! base of 5 damage: 5 + ([UserStrength]/5) (end) anyways, those are just my thoughts on the damage. oh, look at the time, next subject!

So, why have throwing weapons at all? BUT I might have an idea how to combine this with your previous proposition: the T3 AGI bonus (walk 2 fields) would remain as it is, and as compensation throwing weapons (but neither crossbow nor longbow) can be used while moving. That way throwing weapons are not useless anymore.

what i say to this is A), add the the ability to choose between a), moving 2 fields, but nothing else, or b) walk 1 field, and one other action. B) (weird smiley face?) Throwing weapons could be used at full strength, or, you could have a loaded crossbow fire at half power (reloading could be something you could do as a action) fire a sloppy shot from a longbow (half damage, +30 to base miss chance). this could make it so throwing weapons are a viable option as a character with high agility. also, you could make throwing weapon also have other benefits the other ranged weapons don't (I.E., coating them in poison, explosives(*Shrug* Magic?) attached to them, etc.) or something else, like exponential damage increase with agility? i dunno. your game, not mine.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

@etg2002 While in the current version there is only a 5% base evade rate (opponent), in the first version I actually had a hit rate (attacker) also factored into the equation. The way I had it work was to make melee attacks dependent on fatigue and strength, and ranged attacks dependent on fatigue and agility. The actual hit chance was (hit rate - evade). I disposed of this to simplify the game, but I can put the system back in if there is interest for that.

However, I will not make throwing weapons and crossbows dependent on strength because it is not realistic in my opinion. Knowing how to throw a dart/star correctly has more influence on success and damage than raw strength. Crossbows really don't require strength except for loading the bolt, and the crossbows used in this game are small one-handed ones, like in The Witcher, not the large medieval ones.
The only ranged weapon I agree needs strength is the longbow. Strength could influence the damage of longbows if I were to make this more complex.

add the the ability to choose between a), moving 2 fields, but nothing else, or b) walk 1 field, and one other action.

As I explained to Loop before, I don't want a general 'walk+hit in one turn' option because this gives thiefs too big of an advantage over fighters, in my opinion. Having it only for throwing weapons seems like a good compromise to me, but I will keep your proposition in mind and once we get to actual duels, we will be able to see what we can and can't do. I will also think again about ranged damage, for example about the possibility of "exponential damage increase with agility" as you proposed.
etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

OK, after your revisions, i have a few things:

A). the damage i can make simpler, as you would simply have [BaseDamage] + ([Agility]/5) - [RangeInFields] for thrown weapons, fixed damage for crossbows, and for longbows: [BaseDamage] + ([Agility]/8 + [Strength]/6) {If the range is or below 3 fields, however, it does reduced damage.}

B). Regarding walk distance, i agree with you on throwing weapons, however, i also propose that any damage done after the walking has a -25% debuff until the enemy turn. or, you could have a "Action Point" system like Xcom, in which every action costs "Action points" (AP) and you have a certain amount of AP per turn.

C). for increase of damage with agility, i think that every tier, you could gain 1 damage for tier one, 2 for two (Stacking with previous boost) and 3 for three. (see aforementioned)

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Thank you for the suggestions etg. About the 'action point' system, the idea is not bad; in fact, it made me think again about allowing more than one action per turn. However, I think it should be clearly defined what is allowed, instead of just saying "Here are some action points, do what you like with it"; that would be a bit chaotic in a forum game.
Still, here are just some thoughts I'd like your opinion on:

@Loop_Stratos @etg2002 @Doombreed
What if I were to allow two actions per turn: 1 walk move, and 1 other action. This other action can be either an attack, a defensive move (might add one or two defensive base abilities) or use an item. The latter point would be a new addition: I'm thinking of potions. Each user could have a fixed amount of potions at the beginning of a fight, and could use them instead of an attack or defensive move. It would just be Health, Mana and Fatigue potions at first, but this could be expanded.

Now, I know I said I didn't want a move and attack in one turn because thieves could wear down fighters. But I can imagine a defensive action for fighters which could either reduce ranged damage, or increase evade chance against ranged attacks, to counterbalance this.

Any thoughts?

etg2002
etg2002
703 posts
Scribe

Ah, potions, lovely things. i have an entire list which i can change into viable effects for an RPG such as this. gimme a little while, and i will be back with a list of potions and possible effects. (by little while, i mean an hour, hour 30 minutes.) for defensive abilities, a couple that might work: Brace: Decreases next attack damage greatly. Defensive stance: Buff ability, takes 25% of all damage taken for a while, but decreases speed and damage done.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

The problem, the way I see it, with actions countering other actions is exactly the trouble we had in nivlac's game. That being, the person who posts second has a natural advantage. Of course that never goes away, no matter the effort, but I get the feeling that with 2 actions, if you could move and attack that is, it will make it far harder to avoid. Besides, who is to say that moving has to take place first? A rogue would be able to attack first and move later in such a situation, not allowing anyone to get close at all. Even if he did little damage, he could do this continuously. My suggestion to counteract this is to increase the FP/MP cost for actions when moving greatly, maybe 50%. So if an attack costs 10 FP, it would cost at least 15 with moving. So constantly moving and attacking would be a less viable tactic.

As for potions, I like that idea It would be a nice addition.

Showing 1-15 of 36