The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsGamesMake a Micro-legendarium before Writing Campaign Texts

0 2662
Reflame
Reflame
9 posts
Nomad

Hi,

I think that many games would be more attractive if they took place in a slightly elaborate world, a micro-parallel of Tolkien's legendarium.

For example, I think that texts of Takeover are more elaborate and appealing than those of similar games, but still they could be easily improved.

How to do it

Imagine a typical simple game with 10-30 texts (including the initial and final screen) - such as Kingdom Rush, Squares and Blades 1 etc.

I propose that the author should use his or her fantasy (imagination) and think up:

• half a dozen significant past events (some of them battles): in LOTR films, these are Isildur's seizure of the Ring, Bilbo's encounter with Gollum and dwarven-elven wars.
  • 3-5 places where history was written (in LOTR: Mount Doom, Minas Tirith, ...)
  • 3-5 past characters (some of them may still live) and their fate, their role in history (Sauron, Isildur, Gandalf, Elrond)

I think that if the author makes this simple list and then refers to them in campaign texts, his world will breath with inner logic and realism - and maybe the game will feel as a "deeper" tale.

And there is no need to unveil all history in the beginning; the player can discover past events and very dark secrects as he or she progresses - about his own origin, about the king whom he deeply (dis)trusted etc.

Reflame

• 0 Replies
Showing 1-0 of 0