ForumsNews and FeedbackStop allowing demo and steam games on armor games

12 5236
bigattck
bigattck
30 posts
Blacksmith

this is becoming a trend now on armor games. developers are building demos and " pay full game at steam " version, while we the armor games community are nothing but guinea pigs. unacceptable, why didnt just added a "test" tag or did the developers lie about the flash/html being finish. these are the current games that the developer admits being "test versions".

http://armorgames.com/play/18070/minions-monsters-and-madness
engine: game maker studeio

developer statement: "We've fixed this issue. We do not plan a steam release unless we see there is enough support for the game."
http://disq.us/p/1d5ppnt

http://armorgames.com/play/18089/dungeon-punks
engine: ???

developer statement: "Our apologies. We thought we made it clear what portion of the full game it was. We've updated it to make it really explicit, even telling you exactly which chapters you can play (which is hours long). Hope that helps!"
http://disq.us/p/1djrcd4

http://armorgames.com/play/18088/night-at-the-colosseum
engine: ???

developer statement: "Hi [playe_name]! Bugs will be squashed on version 1.1.2.
More dynamic battle? Will implement the best i can do for Steam version
Thanks for playing!"

player name respons: "Oh, so this is a DEMO?"

developer: "I think it's more like a prequel. I'll try my best to keep the saga interesting "

http://disq.us/p/1dn0rif

this needs to stop or better yet remove this from your site: "We strive to deliver the best gaming experiences... on the internet and on your mobile phone."

• 12 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I don't see this as unacceptable. Devs still need to eat, and some of the flash games here can frankly be full fledged games on Steam. 99% of the games are full games and only a handfull are demos/cut versions.

bigattck
bigattck
30 posts
Blacksmith

this is not about them eating or not eating, its about treatment of Armor Game community and how the adams are approving broken games. its like buying a $90 no man sky then finding out that you cant do anything without paying more for it.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

1) The games are not broken, and
2) you do not buy them.

So your comparison is unjustified. If demos was all AmorGames was providing in matter of games, I would understand your point. But the case is that this is a website where you can play flash games that are, in the vast majority, full games, and you don't have to pay anything for it. So if from time to time, one of the games does not make 100% of the content available, I think that's a pretty small price to pay. Besides, think about this: how is that different from watching a movie trailer on Youtube?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

When you sign up for an account or go onto AG, you're not purchasing anything. Unless of course you do buy in game items for real money, but then the game turns out to be a demo. Then I would agree with you.

But I think the games you listed don't have premium content on AG itself. They're just demos, albeit poorly labelled ones perhaps.

bigattck
bigattck
30 posts
Blacksmith

guys the main conflict is us not getting "the best gaming experiences". this is not about money, no man sky was an example of how it lied to people. when people sign-up they expect a least some good games, not demos or pay to win.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I think you're over-exaggerating the issue here. There certainly are some promo games around, but they represent a very small percentage of all the games available. Now, if you think a tag specifically for promo games would be welcomed by users generally, we can bring this to the attention of the admins.

Sadly, I'm afraid we'll just have to live with the fact that promo games will be occasionally added to the list. With services like Steam, sites like Armor Games need to find new ways to remain attractive to game developers. Still, I personally don't see an issue with it, as long as the demo is good in itself.

bigattck
bigattck
30 posts
Blacksmith

having steam games is taking away customers not gaining people. indie developers are coming and going but there is little to no html5 games because there is no easy way to build one without code. developers don't bring followers, some of them do not have any.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Now you're just moving your arguments all over the place.

It is up to the developers to develop whatever games they please. The fact is the market isn't the same as it was in 08-10. Flash games aren't as big as they are before.

AG doesn't order or direct developers to make games, they test and accept games from people who submit whatever they want to submit. Developers are all independant. And if people submit less flash games and divert their resources to Steam, that is up to them! The bald facts are that Steam is now the main kid on the block, any indie developer worth his salt will try and get a Steam game out.

bigattck
bigattck
30 posts
Blacksmith

Yes and that is the business problem, you cant have money spend on developers who will not help the site. We don't even know if these developers even care about the game they were making because it's so broken. Any good developer would tell you to release a game with the best of their ability not angry or punish the players.

The community deserves a better gaming experience, they choose if they want to play on steam not forcibly use steam.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Oh come on No one is forcing you to do anything.

Besides, a demo being a demo does not mean it is automatically bad, or broken. Judging by the ratings, plenty of users appear to enjoy Night At The Colosseum, for example. And if you don't, then just don't play it.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@bigattck To give an official response in this...

I'm sorry if you feel that you are treated as a guinea pig, but the games you listed are all full versions, except for Dungeon Punks, which was explicitly stated by the game developer beforehand. You knew what to expect upfront...

Where some games may mention 'Steam' along the line, this does not mean it is a demo being launched on Armor Games in advance of the actual full-version game; it simply means there is a full version game made available on Armor Games for free and the game dev may then decide to make a new version, or a second version, of the game in question and then launch it on Steam. This does not automatically make the game hosted here a so-called 'Demo Version' of course, because it is a full version game after all.

As far as the Demo version game you added to your list, we've followed this up by making a 'Demo' tag for this game. You can find all games with this Demo Games Tag here and keep track of them, ok?

I hope this made things clear to you, but if you have any other questions, please feel free to post and ask them of course.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

LOL now you're just clutching at straws.

To add: Just because they seem at demos, does not mean they don't help the site. Why would it not?

Showing 1-12 of 12