ForumsNews and FeedbackCan we please get rid of the "Featured Topics" section?

28 612
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,925 posts
Bard

The "Features Topics" section is bothering me.

For one, it distracts from the content of the forum/subforum. If I go to the WEPR section, I want to look through and participate in WEPR-based threads, and invariably the first available link (since Featured Topics are listed above everything else) goes to another subforum. I have to scroll past seven links just to arrive at the content I wanted to see in the first place.

Secondly, it disorganizes the forums. The Featured Topics section displays seven threads in a list. But they don't end up in any kind of practical order. They aren't sorted by category, number of posts, or even most recent post. That makes it more difficult for people who may take interest in that thread, then return later to find that it is no longer a featured topic with no indication of where it was.

It's also misleading. The Featured Topics in AMW are the same featured topics in every other subforum. I'm in News and Feedback. "Featured Topics" should list featured topics from the News and Feedback subforum, since it is followed by "All Topics." It doesn't make sense.

And ultimately, it's wasting space, particularly by appearing at the top of every single subforum. It's just...in the way. Seven identical links top scroll/swipe past every time I change sections.

I'm in favor of just removing it, but surely we could if nothing else restrict the Featured Topics to the main forum page where it applies, rather than every subforum. Or alter the Featured Topics in each subforum so that they list only featured topics for the subforum that they appear in (though that sounds like an unnecessary amount of work).

Thanks,
-Matt

• 28 Replies
MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,925 posts
Bard

I'll go ahead and approach the admins with the suggestions on offer and let them sort it.

Wait, what?

Why does Moe need to "approach the admins with the suggestions?" This isn't some private conversation. The thread is right here on the forums in News and Feedback. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but this is the first time the community has banded together in favor of a change in over a year. Not everyone agrees on what should be done exactly, and it feels like this is something that should be discussed publicly with the community, rather than summed up and delivered to the admins via a moderator.

TwentyPilots
TwentyPilots
11 posts
Blacksmith

I do agree, it is very distracting. I want to see the topics posted by the forum section I choose and featured really should be relegated to the main page if they have to show it.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,392 posts
Templar

There are now only 4 "Featured Topics", but I think there should only be 3 to match the "Most Recent Topics". Also, the "Featured Topics" are still in the forums as well as the main forum page despite multiple users saying they shouldn't be in the individual forum pages. In addition, I'll @Moegreche for an update on what the admins think about all this and possibly to explain why he approached the admins with the suggestions.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,491 posts
Marquis

I removed one of the featured topics that was kind of old. I'm still waiting to hear about any sorts of policies the admins have in place for featured threads.

I haven't yet heard back about what they think or the feasibility of removing the featured topics from the subforums.

The reason I offered to approach the admins with this is because I'm trying to help out here. It's a good idea and I'd like to see something resolved in the near future. The admins are super busy, and I can't be sure of what's on their radar. Distilling the information to them like this seems to me to be the fastest way to get something done on this front. I also provided a link to the thread in case any of them need context. If I offended anyone or stepped on any toes by offering to do this, then I'm sorry. I just genuinely thought this might be the best way to expedite the process.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,154 posts
King

To give a short reply from the staff on this:

It's not that we were not willing to do anything about it, it merely took a little time as there is a lot going on behind the scenes. And we are not dictating on what goes on on the forums to make that clear. We listen to our users.

So we have finally been able to discuss this shortly and quickly agreed to cut back on the number of featured topics in the forums. Moderators have the ability and freedom to (un)feature any topic they see fit as long as the topics are rendering enough activity or have a good enough base to keep them featured.

I went ahead and reduced the number of featured topics to 3 right now. I hope this solves any questions and puts some smiles on everyone's faces?

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,154 posts
King

Forgot to add this... we will be looking into the option to have featured topics on the main forum page only and remove them from the sub-forums, but it is something that is placed on a list and may take some time. We hope this is sufficient for now though.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,925 posts
Bard

@MrDayCee It looks a lot better now, thanks. Looking forward to them being exclusive to the main page, but the general consensus was to at least reduce the total number to three, so I'll consider this thread a success. Thanks for contributing, guys. It's good to see the community working together.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,154 posts
King

And we thank the Community for being awesome and giving us feedback on our website! Thank thee all!

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,925 posts
Bard

There are four Featured Topics now. Is this a bug?

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,154 posts
King

Nope. I added the Armor Games Armatar Contest for exposure and activity @MattEmAngel ...

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,925 posts
Bard

@MrDayCee So why didn't you remove one of the other ones? The Sonny Guide stopped being active in May, and ASC ended on July 3rd.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,154 posts
King

The sonny Guide was active a day ago and the ASC still needs to be judged, so I'm taking it down when that is done.

MattEmAngel
MattEmAngel
7,925 posts
Bard

If you go to the Sonny thread, you'll see that there is no post from a day ago. It has one four-day-old question since May. As for ASC, the contest is closed, so even if you go to it, you can't enter a submission. Why feature a contest that people can't enter anymore?

Showing 16-28 of 28