ForumsThe TavernEclipse 2017

5 4529
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

As anyone seen it?

That was cool! My neighbor had special glasses and he let me look.
I live very close to the total path so I got about 95% of the effect.

Just being outside felt weird, the light dimmed quite a bit, the temperature dropped and you could see waves on the ground. I'm not sure what they were but I'll learn it soon because that's all they're talking about on TV.

• 5 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Okay I figured it out. These waves are called Shadow bands .

They occur before and after the eclipse.
Anyway I can't believe no one else have seen the eclipse today. :O

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I won't be able to see anything from where I live, but I already have seen a total eclipse once. It's true that the atmosphere was peculiar. We were out in the fields and it felt kinda spooky ^^ I don't remember any waves or fluctuating light; that does sound interesting. Perhaps it has something to do with your position respective to the shadow?

edit: ninja'd :P I'll go and check the link!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

We were out in the fields and it felt kinda spooky

I think eerie is a better term for what I felt today.

I recorded it using my Polaroid Cube + but since I didn't have a filter, the footage looked more like a big blob of light.
It did turn blueish and less bright later on.

When I came back in the house my dogs were acting funny, especially the younger one. She was running in circle and looked scared for a while, that was weird! She's okay now.

Anyway if I don't show up anymore, it's because I turn into a zombie for being exposed to the eclipse.

Here's the proof.

It's not quite the same phenomenon but that's how it felt a little... xD

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

I only saw 85% where I was, but it was still cool. I did various pinhole projection and reflection methods as well as looked at it with glasses.

PS. Donald Trump's going blind: www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/politics/trump-solar-eclipse/index.html

alex_grin
alex_grin
6 posts
Nomad

I watched it! That was really incredible, I even bought special glasses for that purpose

Showing 1-5 of 5