ForumsForum GamesHow FishPreferred Are You?

284 82257
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Mark your calendars! Clear your schedules! Defragment your hard drives and install those updates!

It is time for How FishPreferred Are You?

As you may know, Gantic will not be available to do his usual schtick this year, thus it falls to me to continue this weird tradition of quantifying your similitude to some vague standard through a series of convoluted and seemingly arbitrary tests.

Sign-up is open until 10 spots are filled, or until September 9, whichever is sooner. You may wager any number of Gantic Points you like, but they will be disregarded because Gantic Points have no relevance to this game.

ROSTER:
1ʭ Hardstrike
1ʭ MattEmAngel
1ʭ Yellowcat
1ʭ hafaroman
1ʭ Coral42
1ʭ Boofuss
1ʭ Moegreche
1ʭ PLGuy
1ʭ Swarmlord2*

*Additional entry, because Hey, why not?

• 284 Replies
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@FishPreferred Do all cryptograms have different answers for different users?

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

For encryption 4, is the number of lines significant? Should the cypher be left in the spacing it's in over five lines?
Possssibly ... Might be hard though.

Do all cryptograms have different answers for different users?
Possssibly ...
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

That's just too confusing... Man please, could you just answer which riddles have different answers and which the same for every participant? Cause I'm almost sure that not every riddle gives a direct instruction like the last one (or I'm not omniscient enough to see it without hours of decoding that Enigma...)

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

That's just too confusing... Man please, could you just answer which riddles have different answers and which the same for every participant? Cause I'm almost sure that not every riddle gives a direct instruction like the last one (or I'm not omniscient enough to see it without hours of decoding that Enigma...)
Well, I'm not sure why it would matter. If you know what they say, it should be pretty clear. If you don't, then that's kind of the point of this round.
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

The thing is that we don't have a current feedback if our attemps at solving them are well steered or totally wrong. I'll assume that all decryptions are similar to the last riddle - I have one answer for 3rd riddle but it is totally different and I don't see any way of revealing an instruction having what I have. I'll treat that mentioned answer as a partial answer for now...

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I have one answer for 3rd riddle but it is totally different and I don't see any way of [not?] revealing an instruction having what I have.
Then you don't have the right answer.

Because it looks like spacing is important, but the fourth line is just one word and it looks like the line was too long to fit on one line and the last word got moved down.
Oh. Yes, that's just your browser or something. It's only supposed to be four lines, but that isn't crucially important to the message.

Also, is the number 8 significant?
Not to my knowledge.
Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I have no idea how to progress here. It is 00:16, so maybe I am not thinking properly.

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

I'm done.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@Yellowcat do you mean that you have broken all of them codes? Yeah I've got infinite faith in people, but looking how hard are these encryptions I think that on 70% you meant that second meaning...

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

No, I'm giving up on this competition.

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

Tbh I expected this game to be more like Gantic's, but it's not really the same

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@Hardstrike I didn't look too much on Gantic's so I can't agree or disagree - I'm currently stunned by hardness of the challenge but I didn't give up yet.

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I have spent a while trying to work things out, but I have made no progress

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

Well maybe I dont want it to be straightforward. Here the instructions tell me directly that I need to be smart enough to figure out the answers of correctly and properly formulated questions. And I already know that I am not able to solve this round's cyphers.
If it was Gantic's game, I needed first to figure out if the instructions would help me at all and understand the questions at first sight, even if they had a hidden deeper meaning.
Maybe I dont like predictable things and I just want a big lump of static.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Would it be harder to solve Encryption 4 if the "<>" symbols had been replaced by, say, parenthesis or brackets?
I'd say it would be about the same. It just wouldn't be as clear what they're for.

And I already know that I am not able to solve this round's cyphers.
Just keep looking at them.

Maybe I dont like predictable things and I just want a big lump of static.
Here you go.
Showing 181-195 of 284