ForumsForum GamesHow FishPreferred Are You?

284 82423
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Mark your calendars! Clear your schedules! Defragment your hard drives and install those updates!

It is time for How FishPreferred Are You?

As you may know, Gantic will not be available to do his usual schtick this year, thus it falls to me to continue this weird tradition of quantifying your similitude to some vague standard through a series of convoluted and seemingly arbitrary tests.

Sign-up is open until 10 spots are filled, or until September 9, whichever is sooner. You may wager any number of Gantic Points you like, but they will be disregarded because Gantic Points have no relevance to this game.

ROSTER:
1ʭ Hardstrike
1ʭ MattEmAngel
1ʭ Yellowcat
1ʭ hafaroman
1ʭ Coral42
1ʭ Boofuss
1ʭ Moegreche
1ʭ PLGuy
1ʭ Swarmlord2*

*Additional entry, because Hey, why not?

• 284 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

MY ANSWERS:

Argument 1

First of all...Christians don't kill other people just for holding different beliefs. They do believe that theirs is the only way to God, but come on, no one in a Christian church would go crazy just because a Buddhist monk decided to walk in the door.
Some have, some might, and, believe it or not, wandering Buddhists aren't generally the ones at risk of triggering psychosis in churchgoers. (10ʭ)

I do remember the Crusades, but that was simply a political plot to gain land under the guise of a holy war. The church had nothing to do with it.
"It" is several intermittent campaigns only loosly related to one another. (5ʭ)
Many were directly orchestrated by the Papacy. The church had plenty to do with them. (5ʭ)

As for "turning the other cheek," this doesn't mean Christians are pacifists, or allow themselves to be trod upon. It just means they don't go around retaliating against people all the time.
Which means they supposedly are pacifists and allow themselves to be trod on, yes. (5ʭ)

The fact is that everyone will give in to sin sometimes, but anyone who calls himself a Christian and purposely goes on sinning is just going to cause trouble for himself and make others think that Christians are no different from any other people when it comes to bad behavior.
1 That is not a fact. It's an unfounded overgeneralization. (5ʭ)
2 Doing so is not, in itself, grounds for exclusion from christendom. (5ʭ)
3 Christians generally aren't different in that regard. The difference is in what behaviour is considered bad. (5ʭ)

As for human nature, I've noticed that almost invariably, when left to their own devices, humans will choose evil over good.
No, they don't. That's just another unfounded overgeneralization. People do whatever appeals to their perception of what is desirable and justifiable. Evil is just a sociological construct. (5ʭ)

Also, as strange as this may sound, truth and morality are not relative concepts. They are absolute.
No. Truth is absolute. It has to be; otherwise, it wouldn't be true. Morality is subjective at best, and, as the Old Testament clearly demonstrates, has little or no temporal consistency. (10ʭ)

Think about it; anyone who believes in physics believes in absolute truth.
Epistemological nihilists are people too, and they can certainly believe in physics, though they may of course be skeptical. (10ʭ)

Is it not an absolute statement to say, "There exists a force in our universe called gravity which holds its structure together." ? Gravity works. That's an absolute statement.
No. That's an oversimplified positive assertion. (5ʭ)
It's also totally irrelevant to the topic. (10ʭ)

I don't believe in situational ethics, either. Things like murder and thievery will always be wrong, and no situation or circumstance can change that.
1 Overwhelming exception. Murder is applicable only to cases of homicide resulting from intent to do harm. Anything else is not murder, meaning that it is situational by definition. (10ʭ)
2 Theft cannot be 'wrong' when it is a necessity for survival. (5ʭ)
3 What you believe is not a determining factor of what is true. (5ʭ)

Argument 2
Your life is a privilege. I can kill you, can't I? Therefore, you have no rights.
1 No, it isn't; it's a trait common to all people who currently exist. (5ʭ)
2 The ability to continue living is generally recognized as a fundamental human right. (5ʭ)
3 A right is not a universal law of reality. Your ability to defy it does not negate its existence. (5ʭ)

Ummm... no. There were a couple car accidents recently. BAN CARS!
1 Nice sraw man. He was not suggesting a ban on anything. He was suggesting the use of effective government-enforced regulation. (10ʭ)
2 Cars have effective government-enforced regulation. It's called the DMV. (5ʭ)
3 The gravity and extent of one problem is not lessened by the mere existence of some other problem. (5ʭ)

I know literally hundreds of people, both children and adults, who possess and/or fire guns on a weekly basis. How many have shot somebody? A couple, admittedly, but those cases were self-defense so that way they themselves wouldn't perish away. As for the rest, none have ever so much as fired at another human being.
Good to know. Now, if these "literal hundreds" constituted even a significant minority of the ~300000000 people in the US, your anecdotal account might have had some actual value. (10ʭ)
Unfortunately, even that value would be offset by the fact that these are not the people who would be impaired by regulating the access and usage of guns. (10ʭ)

You're trying to take away the hobby and sport of more than half this country for a few wayward murders which were most likely used with illegally possessed and obtained firearms.
1 Unless your hobby constitutes homicide, armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, arms trafficking, treason, or poaching, your complaint is invalid. (10ʭ)
2 The ease with which firearms are obtained illegally is a direct result of lax firearm laws. (5ʭ)

You're using the vast minority of unfortunate events to punish the vast majority of responsible adults.
Very rarely does a legal weapon fall into the hands of a murderer, and in those few cases, most are 'crimes of passion' committed within the household, [...]
Nice vague arbitrary statistics you have there. (5ʭ)

[...] crimes that would be committed with a kitchen chair if push came to shove.
Mastering chair combat to a lethal degree requires significantly greater skill and strength than pointing and squeezing a small handheld device. (10ʭ)

Criminals will kill no matter what, and I would much rather die by a gun than a knife.
False dilemma. Your preference for one thing over another does not make the two equally probable, and I think it's safe to say that most people would rather survive a knife wound than die from a gun wound. (10ʭ)
Also, Not all crimes are homicides. (5ʭ)

YOUR ANSWERS:

PLGuy
+10/10 "Over the centuries Christians [...]" "There’s no assurance that in some church [...]"
+5/5 "The first Crusade started in [...]"
+5/5 "Crusade can be announced only [...]"
+5/5 "What you had written makes me think that [...]" "I mean that in every group of people [...]"
+5/5 "I, on the other hand, have noticed [...]"
+5/10 "I just wanna add that I didn't even mention [...]"
+5/10 "It’s good to take scientific theories as [...]"
+5/10 "Killing in self-defense: [...]"
+5/5 "Thievery in starvation: [...]"

MattEmAngel
+5/5 "Seeing as "life" is something that [...]"
+5/5 "A good example of a privilege is [...]"
+5/10 "Goodness, that slope you're on [...]"
+5 "For a start, we could always just [...]"
+20ʭ for arguing logically without citing any source material.

ROUND n-1 SCORE:
92.5ʭ MattEmAngel +40ʭ
85.0ʭ PLGuy +50ʭ
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Round n is the placeholder round. This is where there would be a tiebreaker if we needed a tiebreaker round. In other words, you're done.

FINAL SCORE:
132.5ʭ MattEmAngel
135.0ʭ PLGuy

Calculating ...

Congradulations @PLGuy . It was very close, but according to this series of convoluted and seemingly arbitrary tests, you are the most FishPreferred player. As such, you've won ...

The H.F.P.A.Y. Home Version!
https://i.imgur.com/Gly0Yx8.png
Because, much like with the third law of thermodynamics, you can never really get out of the game. Thanks to everyone for playing. I have no idea what's going to happen next year.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

Oh my that was really a close one! just 2.5 pisca. I did quite a comeback cause I was loosing all the challenge.
Ekhm...
https://www.wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/comment_3SYf7XzvoVuz4MihB3emlChO8Tyx3Ph7.jpg

Hooray! xD Thanks @Fishpreferred for organising this more interesting than convoluted tournament! I could see work you put in details. Thanks everyone, especially @MattEmAngel for a hard competition!

2.5 pisca is like nothing. Especially, because after backtracking yesterday I found out that after round 2 I should have 10 points less, and that would be 2.5 pisca less. I didn't answer correctly on any logic question so I should get 0 points instead of 10.

I mean there was also ambiguity in this question:

A) What is the most correct way to respond to a multiple choice question that provides no correct answer?

A) Choose the next best thing
B) Refuse to answer
C) Guess
D) Ask For help
E) Add the right answer

B) What is the most correct way to respond to a multiple choice question that provides no correct answer?

A) Choose the next best thing
B) Refuse to answer
C) Guess
D) Ask For help

But since me and Matt chose B it wouldn't change anything.

Doesn't that mean that it should be a draw? Or... that we are both the most FishPreferred?

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

I should have 2.5 pisca less man, not you:

1ʭ, 20p Hardstrike +10 +10+0+10+0+0
1ʭ, 60p MattEmAngel +10 +10+10+10+10+10
1ʭ,-10p Yellowcat +10 +10+0+10+0+0
1ʭ, 30p Moegreche +25 +0+0+0+0+0
1ʭ, 00p PLGuy +10 +10+0+10+10+0
1ʭ,-30p Swarmlord2 +0 +10+0+10+0+0

I shouldn't get any points according to FishPreferred's key - that is on pages 7-8.

That means that there should be a tiebreaker round.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

No. That 10 is for question 4. E is literally the only incorrect answer.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

10p converts to 2.5ʭ. The buying rate applies to trading pisca for points, which nobody did because it's pointless (no pun intended).

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

Tbh those arguments depend very much on subjectivity and your own point of view, and not necessary absolute truth.

Anyway congrats poland, I knew you had it in you. My prayers have been answered

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Tbh those arguments depend very much on subjectivity and your own point of view, and not necessary absolute truth.
Which ones are you referring to?
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

Oh so I got points even if I didn't tick answers A and B... Sorry for this confusion then, everybody! With clean conscience I can drink my beers to celebrate this victory! xD

I would have drunk them anyway :-]

@FishPreferred Man do you plan to make another edition next year? It was really great.

@Hardstrike Thanks dude! BTW I hope that you didn't make some kind of cult... I don't want to be another victim of Inquisition

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I don't have anything planned, and I'd decline to do it again if requested. A lot of time and ideas went into making this one, and I doubt I'd be able to meet the deadline next year with anything good. I'll leave it up to @Gantic to decide what happens next.

armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

Congratulations for winning, PL; dude, if you were wrong and had got those points unfairly, you could have simply not said anything that you would win, yet you still "questioned" your own win because you were unsure about those points...

So, congratulations again for saying the truth, even if that could mean you'd lose the game! If I could, I think I would give you a Merit for that.

And congratulations, Matt, you also played very well!

Also, can I have one of those bears!? YAY!

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@FishPreferred That's a pity - I'd love to join the next edition xD I clearly see and appreciate the effort. It would be even greater if more people would be 100% active until the end (planned elimination) like the final four, but well it probably couldn't happen this time.

@armorplayergc Thank you, I'm sure that you would do the same :-) You're not right that I would just loose - that would be -10 points = -2.5 pisca for me so it would be a tie = we would just have more fun with Round n. But anyway if it was win/loose I would do the same. It's not worth to win unfairly such a great tournament xD

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Haha! This was all great. I hope this tradition continues. Putting it together and judging it is a lot of work but the results are worth it. Round of applause for @FishPreferred putting a great one together. It's unfortunate that you would decline hosting the next season.

Where am I going with this? I want "How _____ Are You?" to continue.

So, how 'bout it, @PLGuy? September 2018.

If not, I have a backup plan.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@Gantic That would be great but I'm afraid I'm too new in AG environment. You guys are icons of AG and I'm active here less than half a year - I have yet to bestow the meaning on game "How PLGuy are you?" and it most probably won't happen before September 2018, so with a heavy heart I decline.

I am very curious about your backup plan though :-)

Showing 271-284 of 284