ForumsForum GamesHow FishPreferred Are You?

284 82474
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Mark your calendars! Clear your schedules! Defragment your hard drives and install those updates!

It is time for How FishPreferred Are You?

As you may know, Gantic will not be available to do his usual schtick this year, thus it falls to me to continue this weird tradition of quantifying your similitude to some vague standard through a series of convoluted and seemingly arbitrary tests.

Sign-up is open until 10 spots are filled, or until September 9, whichever is sooner. You may wager any number of Gantic Points you like, but they will be disregarded because Gantic Points have no relevance to this game.

ROSTER:
1ʭ Hardstrike
1ʭ MattEmAngel
1ʭ Yellowcat
1ʭ hafaroman
1ʭ Coral42
1ʭ Boofuss
1ʭ Moegreche
1ʭ PLGuy
1ʭ Swarmlord2*

*Additional entry, because Hey, why not?

• 284 Replies
Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

Wow, I didn't think that the word "left" would point to any other kind of direction except n<=3, even if anything above 3 is not spatial.
I like your thinking Moe, and I like even more we mostly share the same thinking patterns.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@Moegreche oh my your explanation is comprehensive... I failed on question 4 with machine-thinking mistake - I assumed that: "not true" ^ "not false" = [null]... A and B can't be true and can't be false. They are similar to the paradox of a liar who never says true who's saying: "This sentence is false". A liar never says truth, but he's telling the truth about him lying ATM. But since we're humans I think that we should also tick A and B as "not true" and not "not known" [null].

But I don't agree with your answers in two places:
1) in 2nd question: "What statement must logically be correct?" In the first place C is correct, only after affirming that C is correct A happens to be correct. I thought about answering A, C, but the question is about one statement and not statements. If there are two correct answers, the question is not well formulated. Also E can't be logically correct if it is formulated that way - there's another paradox of a liar if we say it is correct (it says that none given answers are correct - then even itself? It should be formulated answers A-D are incorrect.)

2) in 5th question - I didn't treat it as a question because it lacks interrogation mark, so for me it can't be a trick question but a tricky command hidden as a question.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Answers:
https://i.imgur.com/GTaz7VW.png

#1 The correctness of an answer is not determined by its availability. As you may have noticed, this is the only question that does not provide a fifth option.

#2 For A to be correct (and therefore true), C would have to be true, but C itself requires A to be true. Because A and C are codependent, neither can actually be true. Even if D were somehow true, it would not be logical, and E requires itself to be incorrect. Only B remains.

#3 I am also accepting -z, but the answer here is down. This is because the tangents of the sphere in D account for everything except elevation (z), and C accounts for "up", leaving "down" as the only direction left. @Moegreche I'm giving you partial marks for correctly interpreting the question, but I wouldn't involve non-euclidian geometries in a logic question because they are neither necessary nor, by most standards, logical.

#4 Answers A and B cannot be true, because A requires both to be false. C requires D to be true, but D requires A and B to be true. Therefore, the only incorrect answer is E, because it's the one that is true.

#5 Treating a non-question as a question is not an appropriate way of treating a non-question, refusing to answer is not even a response, D is just stupid, and E literally does nothing. Asking a question is an appropriate response.

+10p for not posting the answers outright.
+10p for putting submission in obscure location.
+10p for encrypting submission.
+10p for encrypting something other than direct answers.
+10p for including red herring.

ROUND 2 SCORE:
1ʭ, 20p Hardstrike +10 +10+0+10+0+0
1ʭ, 60p MattEmAngel +10 +10+10+10+10+10
1ʭ,-10p Yellowcat +10 +10+0+10+0+0
1ʭ, 30p Moegreche +25 +0+0+0+0+0
1ʭ, 00p PLGuy +10 +10+0+10+10+0
1ʭ,-30p Swarmlord2 +0 +10+0+10+0+0

Boofuss is eliminated for non-participation.

Bonus Round:

What was the originally intended function of the Anti-Bonus Point?

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

Uhh i failed miserably at logic - and I had good direction of thinking at 2nd and 4th question. It starts to be extremely hard to catch up with some participants...

My guess: Anti-Bonus Point function was originally to prevent bonus points from making competition unfair. Let's call it Anti-Bonus Point lobby or club xD

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

Sorry, I was busy and was unable to post how to decrypt my answer. Thanks to the mess of the first round, I am still far behind.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

What did you classify as my red herring?
AmethystJane

The Anti-Bonus Point was going to be used in a round called How Confused Are You, which I removed from the game on account of it not working out very well. It would have been deducted from another special set of points (Unbonus Points) that would be deducted from yet another set of points (Bonus Negapoints), so that if you lost a lot of points during the round, you could get them back.
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Round 3 is the What Does This Thing Mean round. In this round, there are things, and you need to figure out what the things mean. The things are four gif images linked below. If for any reason they don't work, please notify me.

Thing 1

Thing 2

Thing 3

Thing 4

10p will be awarded for a partial explanation.
20p will be awarded for each correctly identified thing.
20ʭ will be awarded to anyone who correctly explains what is wrong with the thing.

You have until Saturday (Sept 30) to explain the things in as many posts as you like, you will not receive points for explaining something that was already explained, however, so I wouldn't advise lollygagging.

Current Rate of Exchange
Buying: < , Selling: >

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

Thing 1 appears to be showing how the strong gravity of a black hole causes the path of photons to be altered as they are pulled towards the singularity. The yellow would a light source, most likely a star, and the growing black dot would be the black hole. The wobbling in the lines may be the thing which is wrong here, as the only similar thing I am aware of would be instability of the orbits of photons in the photon sphere which has a radius 1.5 times that of the Schwarzschild radius. The gif shows how light which originally went in one direction has been altered by the black hole to replace the other line in pointing at the thing on the left.

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

My best guess for thing 2 is that it is meant to show how something like an aeroplane wing creates lift, however it appears to be upside down. The right way up, the force of the air being directed around the curved section would cause upward motion. It could be something completely different though.

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

Thing three appears to show complete destructive interference, where waves of equal equal amplitude and frequency cross over, but are exactly 1/2 a wavelength off of each other, causing them to cancel each other out. The thin which is wrong may be the thermometer, as interference wouldn't depend of temperature to occur, if that is what is being shown.

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I am currently unsure about thing 4 although the thing which is wrong may be that the third particle from the top going right does not disappear and cause an indentation in the black object upon coming into contact with it.

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

I think thing 4 is about magnetic-polarity. Those bits joining the dark object are negative particles, others are positive. The wrong part I think it is those -1 numbers. We use 1 and 0 to signal the presence of a charge, and I think -1 should be 1 too.
Ofc I might be horribly wrong.

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

I dont know what else to say, Swarmlord already gave all the good answers x(

I observed the math grids in the background of thing 1. It could be something about geometry.
Point 1 (yellow) is the starting point of 2 lines. Maybe they are following some sort of rule (function) or changing orientation, or systems or smth so the upper line reaches Point 2(blue). The wrong thing is that those lines are deformed.
I totally have no idea and I hope you like what I just made up

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Thing 1 appears to be showing how the strong gravity of a black hole causes the path of photons to be altered as they are pulled towards the singularity.
+20p

My best guess for thing 2 is that it is meant to show how something like an aeroplane wing creates lift, [...]
+10p

The right way up, the force of the air being directed around the curved section would cause upward motion. It could be something completely different though.
That is a valid statement, but the thing that's wrong with this thing is a different, possibly related, thing.

Thing three appears to show complete destructive interference, where waves of equal equal amplitude and frequency cross over, but are exactly 1/2 a wavelength off of each other, causing them to cancel each other out.
+20p

Point 1 (yellow) is the starting point of 2 lines. Maybe they are following some sort of rule (function) or changing orientation, or systems or smth so the upper line reaches Point 2(blue). The wrong thing is that those lines are deformed.
I'm not sure which lines you're referring to here.
Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

Nah, it's dead wrong. I'll find something else to babble about

Showing 91-105 of 284