ForumsForum GamesHow FishPreferred Are You?

284 82449
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Mark your calendars! Clear your schedules! Defragment your hard drives and install those updates!

It is time for How FishPreferred Are You?

As you may know, Gantic will not be available to do his usual schtick this year, thus it falls to me to continue this weird tradition of quantifying your similitude to some vague standard through a series of convoluted and seemingly arbitrary tests.

Sign-up is open until 10 spots are filled, or until September 9, whichever is sooner. You may wager any number of Gantic Points you like, but they will be disregarded because Gantic Points have no relevance to this game.

ROSTER:
1ʭ Hardstrike
1ʭ MattEmAngel
1ʭ Yellowcat
1ʭ hafaroman
1ʭ Coral42
1ʭ Boofuss
1ʭ Moegreche
1ʭ PLGuy
1ʭ Swarmlord2*

*Additional entry, because Hey, why not?

• 284 Replies
Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

This is going well . With thing two, if the problem isn't that that the force of the air having to move up to go around the shape should result in an opposing force pushing the shape down, rather than up, then I don't know what it could be. Still unsure about thing 4, but my best guess is that something is splitting into positively and negatively charged particles, like a neutron becoming a proton and an electron in beta radiation, and that the negative particles are disappearing, so perhaps the black is meant to be anti-matter which is partially annihilated by and annihilates the regular matter particles. I doubt that I am right, but it is worth guessing.

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

But can I try give another explanation for thing 4?

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I believe so. Until it has been successfully explained, I don't think that there is any limit to attempts

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

@Hardstrike Give as many explanations as you like.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@FishPreferred

If I'm not wrong then thing 4 is showing disintegration of particles on matter and antimatter (like electron and positron) as well as asymmetry of matter and antimatter (antimatter side is wider). I'm not sure why they are parting - probably it's an experiment. Normally they are pulling eachother. In the movie Angels and Demons antimatter was sourced using LHC, but this is ofc only SciFi ;-)
Darn it I knew thing 3 :-P

Edit: Ohhh I just read the round to the end. With thing 4 is wrong thing that I already said: matter and antimatter have opposite poles (charges?) so they are pulling eachother and not repulsing

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

But do you know what's wrong with thing 3?

Edit: Ohhh I just read the round to the end. With thing 4 is wrong thing that I already said: matter and antimatter have opposite poles (charges?) so they are pulling eachother and not repulsing
Nope.
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

So all of them have some wrong things... It looked OK by now.

In thing 4 the assymetry is opposite to the real one. There's more matter than antimatter today in particles around us, of course if that's not just other interpretation in which matter is black and antimatter is white, but that makes no sense - it is kinda standard to draw matter as white and antimatter as black. Hmm... is this gif showing a positron and electron annihilating into a photon and then changing the border between matter and antimatter? Matter and antimatter particles are always produced as a pair and, if they collide they annihilate one another and produce pure energy. I guess that in this gif the border is getting changed after such annihilation. If antimatter is presented on the left, such change in the ballance should give +1 and not -1 to the quantity of antimatter - because it is charged negatively.

Am I at least close? xD

Edit: of course a Czech mistake: electron in mattery is negative, positron in antimattery is positive. -1 is good if we talk about electrons and positrons. So I stay only with wrong representation of the border.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Matter and antimatter particles are always produced as a pair and, if they collide they annihilate one another and produce pure energy. I guess that in this gif the border is getting changed after such annihilation. If antimatter is presented on the left, such change in the ballance should give +1 and not -1 to the quantity of antimatter.
Antimatter isn't a negative matter, though. It just has all of its charges reversed.
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

Yeah I know that, but during review of my sources I was reading an article about protons and antiprotons which confused me.

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

Was I close in any way with what I said?

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

This game has too much science..

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

@Swarmlord2 No more than PLGuy was.

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I have another pretty vague idea, but worth trying. What if the gif is backwards and the black thing is emitting the negative particles which then collide with positive particles and form a neutral particle, or if the antimatter thing is right, annihilate each other. This backwards thing is also possibly what is wrong with number 2, as the force could just be going backwards, pushing the shape down. As I said, a bit vague but worth trying.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@Hardstrike it does... I wasn't ready for that 0_o

When energy transforms into a mass, both matter and antimatter are created in equal amounts... So that would be shown in the gif? That would be they way of producing antimatter during high-energy particle collisions in the LHC. Why the hell the number of antimatter would be lowering though... Like Swarmlord said it seems to be partially annihilated when contacting with matter. In the world around us there's no antimatter. Matter and anti-matter are pulling eachother and contact leads to annihilation so the only way to get it is to produce it and then trap. The Antiproton Decelerator at CERN produces slow antiprotons that can be trapped for experiments and they are negatively charged, but I have no idead if any of the processes I mentioned are presented on that gif :-/

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

I couldn't help myself... Production of mass from energy:
E = m*c^2 xD

Interesting fact: the cost of antimatter is about 1 billion times more energy than it is contained in produced mass. That means that about 25 billion kWh is needed to make one gram of antimatter.

Showing 106-120 of 284