ForumsNews and Feedback[Work in progress...] Can mods approve our pinned comments in MMO games?

12 5992
omegaprototype
omegaprototype
26 posts
King

Hello everyone I would like to request that common users can get a pinned comments (without removing the admins/mods featured comment) at top of discuss in MMO games, and of course beforehand being approved by a mod. I explain the situation in the following:

In your average flash game there isn’t much activity in discuss, comments can last from days to week and in unpopular flash games even months before being buried by the newer comment traffic. However in MMO the player population is huge and between: questions, threads, spam and “hi, I’m new” comment it’s easy for some information to be buried before being seeing by the intended audience. I come from the game The King of Towers, as many MMOs we have weekly events that sometimes are not that easy to understand without prior experience on how to play, the problem is that the new players… don’t read, like literally you may explain the same answer up to 10 times during the event given that they won’t scroll down for information. In some cases its justified given how fast the relevant answers are buried, however at the end of the day this is turns into spam and keep away more experience player from joining in the community chat out of annoyance, I think that a solution to reduce this situation is to be able to get pinned comments in a mechanic such as this one.

A Veteran or Veteran players will make a small guide as descriptive as possible but also as short as being comment length. Main writer will be the poster and secondary sources will have their username placed at the bottom of the comment as a signature and then request a mod to approve it being pinned and as a safety measure against player attempting to provide wrong information, this duration should last from 1 week to 2 weeks depending on the nature of the needs or until a new pinned comment is requested.

Hope this is possible as it would keep a more clean discus

• 12 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

I don't see any problems with this--it sounds like precisely the reason why we would pin a comment in the first place

I just checked, though, and you can only have one 'pinned' (Disqus calls it 'featured') comment. But as I understand it, there would only need to be one featured comment at a time, anyway.

Some of my colleagues or the administration might be concerned about mods getting harassed by users who want their comments featured. But even back when we actively gave merits for good comments, this wasn't much of an issue. I mean, god forbid that users are writing instructive, helpful comments so as to be featured /endsarcasm

While I can't speak for everyone or make any kind of decision like this unilaterally, I'd be fully in favour of this kind of move. I'd also be happy to volunteer to handle these requests, if others didn't want to be involved in the process because of time constraints.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

@omegaprototype @Moegreche I'm on board with this 100%. If Moegreche wants to handle this of course (hear hear thank you) and we can assist if needed of course.

As Moegreche pointed out, there can only be one pinned/featured item per disqus comment strain. This makes for a bit more sifting through content needed in the featured comment, but I'm confident we can work this out along the way.

Another idea would be to have a featured comment containing links to the Community Forum threads for each important topic to discuss. This would not only mean more channeled traffic towards the right place, but also cleaner discussions. An extra plus in this would be a shorter, cleaner and more understandable featured comment. I would prefer this last suggestion above all mentioned in this.

What do thee think of this?

omegaprototype
omegaprototype
26 posts
King

@MrDayCee I agree to keeping the links of the previous featured comment (Talk about Quests, Game Support & Commenting Rules) but also adding the wiki main page of http://the-king-of-towers.wikia.com/wiki/The_King_of_Towers_Wiki For people that want to explore more info beyond the current topic of the featured comment.

As for the KoT community, we normally get new events on thursday (some on monday) so the request for a featured comment will mostlikely be a little before or during said days.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

This all sounds good. Thanks for the feedback and further thoughts on this, MrDayCee.

I realise that you're most familiar with KoT, so your expertise is going to be most relevant there. But I think what DayCee was talking about was a featured comment for games that might already have an ongoing discussion in our forums. We like redirecting traffic here when and where it's appropriate.

As for KoT-specific things, lets you and I discuss this in chat. Like, I'm not sure that a new featured comment would be necessary for every event, but I don't play the game so I don't know

In the meantime, I'll start poking through some of the more popular and recent games to see what's there and get this process moving along.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

@omegaprototype @Moegreche Isn't the wiki site for KoT already added to the game info section yet? Should be though... let me know if it's not there and I will get it up. Also, if you have reached an agreement on how to proceed, please loop me in? Thanx!

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

@omegaprototype @Moegreche I just checked and the wiki page is already added to the info section underneath the game, the yellow bar states 'Wiki' which leads to : http://the-king-of-towers.wikia.com/wiki/The_King_of_Towers_Wiki. That is what omega requested, right?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

@MrDayCee

So it looks we've sorted through (what I'll call) phase 1 of this process. Just to clarify, what follows is just for KoT. It has a large enough player base and enough going on to warrant the kind of activity below. Other games would just have a featured comment of a guide, strong review, etc. It should also be noted that what follows comes from my discussion with KoT players--mostly omega. I don't play the game myself, and it's quite possible that I might misremember or misrepresent some aspects of the game. Hopefully it's clear enough to get a feel for what's going on.

Basically, KoT comes out with a new event every week. As I understand it, these events are recycled but the wiki isn't all that updated and it's not very welcoming to new users. You kind of have to already know what you're doing in order to use the wiki effectively.
The plan, which has been enacted, is to feature a comment that's relevant to the current event. It would stay featured until the next event, when a new comment would be featured. Omega is the one that's writing those comments (though that might change--I don't know) and the information is vetted there by other experienced players.

The comment links to a more thorough post in the forums, which included opportunities for questions from new players. The comment also has the links to the other things (quests and other discussions) that were linked in the original featured comment (the one by one of the admins--Rave, I think? I can't remember now).

The plan for now is just to see what happens. How do users respond to this? Is it mostly positive? I also want to see what kind of engagement there is with the forum. If all goes as expected, we call roll into phase 2, which would be a featured comment that just links to the other discussions as well as the forum post. Basically, we need to get users used to looking at the featured comment for advice. Once that's established, we can move the conversation to a format that's more appropriate--i.e., the forums.

Hopefully that all sounds good. I'm certainly open to feedback and suggestions here. And if other people want to get in touch with me about other games, just hit me up in chat. (The Disqus comments on my profile have never worked properly.)

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

@Moegreche Sounds like a solid plan of appraoch. Already saw one tjread by @omegaprototype emerge. Let's hope this helps the KoT community on Armor Games. Yay!

omegaprototype
omegaprototype
26 posts
King

Thank you very much for your time both of you. At 12 hours since publication I got 13 votes and ~100 views, so its safe to say that the player base is active just not so much in touch as a community. Lets see if there is on improvement in interactions once more people get used to the feature comments redirecting to the forum.

I'll continue filling in guides unless there is an event that I have no mastery about it (event for only premium players for example). For now lets see how things are turning out.

omegaprototype
omegaprototype
26 posts
King

@MrDayCee @Moegreche. Got a little problem with my comment editing in the Q&A forum. I asked a fellow player to review the guide, after he finished and sent me his observations I went back to correct some mistakes but I can no longer edit it. Do Forum Comments get locked after a while?
Should it be deleted and re-posted or can I get the edit enable again? - Thank you

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

@omegaprototype Sadly, editing a forum post can only be done once right after posting for a 'regular' user. Mods can edit indefinitely though. If you have a list of typos and corrections and it is easy enough to execute, perhaps @Moegreche can help you out? I'm sorry, but I am not available to help for the next couple of days as I am away on a short trip.

omegaprototype
omegaprototype
26 posts
King

Thank you @MrDayCee Moegreche explained me that in PM, that comments can only be edited shortly after they are pulibsh and are later locked. Modifications were a bit too long so I end up deleting the post and recreating it haha but it seems it was succesfully posted this time.

Also: this time is 1 extra guide from me + another guide from a fellow players in the same post. Can this 2 new guides be summited to @Reton8 for valoration or its just 1 guide per thread?. KoT Q&A Forum

End note: people are not commenting much in neither Discus or Forum, but there has been a spike in the guide views so the community is checking it up even if they havent participated yet. Maybe once they note that there are more than 1 author they will join in.

Thats all for now, thankyou very much

Showing 1-12 of 12