ForumsThe TavernThe End of Flash

9 11460
Penguins1001
Penguins1001
3 posts
Farmer

As some may know, Adobe Flash is ending in 2020. What I wonder is, what will happen to all the amazing Flash games on the website? Will they just be gone? Will they be ported to HTML? Will something else happen? If someone can clarify what will happen to Armor Games and its amazing classics (for example, John's games,) that would be greatly appreciated.

• 9 Replies
PHLHimself
PHLHimself
300 posts
King

That's a well known thing around here. The solution is that they will need to be converted to html but that has to be done by the devs themselves or somebody that has access to the actual flash game files. Pretty sure there are other topics already about this, I'll see if I can find them and link them here.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I realized I don't quite know, does "Adobe Flash is ending" mean all programs based on flash will stop working, or just that they'll shut down updates and customer service? Because if it's the latter, shouldn't the old games continue working, at least for a while?

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I understand OP is talking about the old games and not the newer games, which mostly don't use Flash, but I suppose for anyone else reading, almost all newer games are no longer Flash already. Most new games are something like HTML5, HTML5 with Javascript, or some WebGL export from Unity that runs in HTML5(?). I probably don't have that completely technically correct, but what I'm getting at is Flash isn't necessary anymore and the transition in preparation, for the end of Flash, has already been happening for quite some time both here, at Kongregate, and probably other major browser gaming websites.

Because if it's the latter, shouldn't the old games continue working, at least for a while?

I was wondering this too.

I'm guessing that all major browsers will completely stop supporting Flash, meaning that it won't just be shut off by default, but that it will completely be removed and incompatible. I'm guessing Adobe will no longer release Flash updates and will no longer host it on their website (it'd probably look bad to host unsupported software that can cause security issues).

However, I wonder if it will be possible to use old browser versions and old Flash versions to still run the games, of course though that comes at a high security risk for the user and probably shouldn't be done, but still would allow access to them.

Rale_King
Rale_King
258 posts
Nomad

Can't say for certain. There are people that are hoarding whole websites and internet data on HDDs. Perhaps Armor Games can be archived in such a way.

meaosome
meaosome
155 posts
Scribe

If they all get transferred to HTML... and HTML is phone compatible...
I'll be able to earn quests on my freakin phone.
I think we should all let that sink in.
Raze 2.
On an iPhone.
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Maybe 2020 won't be so bad after all.

Viperision
Viperision
19 posts
Nomad

This isn't a complete shutdown of the Flash platform, it is an end of (security) maintenance from Adobe and therefore end of support from any browser that feels like doing it despite not being forced to for reasons, usually the major ones. Meaning, nothing should change about the games themselves; the plugin may still be hackably-enableable and shared around, available in less-major browsers, and standalone projectors will be more popular if not for everyone moving on archivation projects. There is Flashpoint, a web-games archivation project which is saving pretty much at least 99% of AG's offline-functioning game library, for one highlight example.

What fears me, we're likely losing a lot of unarchivable online servers or online games altogether, and we know in which period that awaits us too well. I could say for myself I'll be longing for continuation because we're not just some kids on school computers, we're willing to change those simplicity browsers. Whatever it be in any case, I also hope AG will be kind enough to release multi-asset/in-game-online-downloadable game content (stuff that is offline-salvageable but not normally), like all the custom user levels from certain level editor-featured games.

Alef30018
Alef30018
1 posts
Peasant

I hope that Armor Games can make some kind of transition of Flash for HTML5(Or WebGL), or at least, trying to make something to publish it's games, like a app where you can play all the games avaible, without losing the progression or something like(As quest, achivments or other progression), but it would take more time than making a trasition, transition i mean only adapt the codes for the new ones, but it is just my opinion, the choice now it's only in the hands of the AG devs. (And i hope we don't lose everything, and even if we could do nothing, at least we will remember the moments of playing in this site)

Rahkeem
Rahkeem
1 posts
Blacksmith

well ... it depends a lot on the change (if they eliminate flash or stop developing it, etc)... What I do know is that... LONG LIVE THE ARMORGAMES!!!!!!

(sorry for my bad english)

Jamez_cool26
Jamez_cool26
1 posts
Shepherd

Well, I hear that Flash emulation is underway, with Ruffle and Flashpoint being a few that I heard. I only hope that either the two perfect their emulators, or maybe have a browser that supports Flash just for people who would play flashgames. I wont even care if it is a bootleg version of Chrome.

Showing 1-9 of 9