ForumsWEPRThe Universal Opinion

7 5413
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

What is one thing everyone in the world can agree on?

• 7 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

My first thought was to determine what do we know; however, I don't expect this to lead us much further than the statement "something exists". Any further than that and opinions might already diverge ^^

My second thought was about things that are anatomically or physiologically conditioned, like "ice is cold" and "fire is hot". Surely the vast majority of people could agree on statements like these. The problem is that for each physiological condition there are exceptions, like people who might be temperature insensitive.

Outside of biological functions, maybe if you can find something we can all agree on because it is defined that way, because there is no other way than to agree with it. However that feels a bit contrived, also all it takes is one troll who disagrees for the sake of disagreeing... XD

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

That was my thought, too. My best guess would be some necessary truth, like 'bachelors are unmarried'. But, based on the title, I don't think that's what OP is looking for. I don't like the word 'opinion'--it seems to be an empty concept.
If it's merely 'something you believe' then, yeah, the bachelors thing works. You either believe it, or your belief just isn't about bachelors. So anyone who has an appropriate bachelor belief would believe they are unmarried.
If we're talking about subjective truths, I'm not sure there is one. In my classes, I usually use something like 'poop is gross' in order to identify a universally-held opinion, although we all know that not everyone agrees with even that statement.

trying
trying
467 posts
Bard

The existence of themselves

lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

What do you mean when you say the word 'opinion' is an empty concept?

Also when I was thinking about this question, I came up with "everyone needs food to survive", but I that probably falls under "biological functions" or "not an opinion".

Maybe a better question would be What is one thing everyone in the world will agree on after an infinite amount of time talking/thinking about it? Does such thing exist? I'm leaning towards No, no such thing exists, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Also when I was thinking about this question, I came up with "everyone needs food to survive", but I that probably falls under "biological functions" or "not an opinion".

Pretty much, although I think it should be phrased more accurately. Humans are known to be able to survive without food for at least a month, tardigrades can survive in a desiccated state for years, and bacterial endospores can reactivate after thousands, or possibly even millions, of years. I would propose the following: Organisms need regular food intake to sustain active metabolism.

Maybe a better question would be What is one thing everyone in the world will agree on after an infinite amount of time talking/thinking about it? Does such thing exist? I'm leaning towards No, no such thing exists, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

Imo it depends on what the statement is. If it is something objectively true, you should, after debating and if need be reformulating the statement (see example above), eventually end up with something everyone can agree with. If it contains even one subjective element, something where people can have individual opinions, you'll never reach consensus. An extreme example would be "What is the prettiest colour?".
Ntech
Ntech
257 posts
Shepherd

Antecedent to all syllogisms is the intrinsic knowledge of subsistency (esse subsistentiae), i.e., that I am (sum).

saint_of_gaming
saint_of_gaming
600 posts
Shepherd

Or as Descartes said, "I think therefore I am".

Showing 1-7 of 7