ForumsProgramming ForumWhy is Programming so confusing?.

7 416
Solas128
Solas128
144 posts
Scribe

I tried creating an html5 game before through something like replit, but the coding got confusing really quickly. Hopefully I can try and make an html5 game without using replit and generally learn how to code without getting extremely confused, but Idk how to.

• 7 Replies
sciller45
sciller45
2,855 posts
Justiciar

If you want to make a game without programming, I'd recommend GDevelop (free) or Construct 3 (paid).

They're both "codeless", but really, you're still *coding*, you just don't deal with syntax. If the algorithms themselves are what you find confusing, then God rest your soul. Maybe there'll be an inbuilt "behaviour" that'll take care of the hard parts for you.

Solas128
Solas128
144 posts
Scribe

Alright, thanks

saint_of_gaming
saint_of_gaming
599 posts
Shepherd

Chat GPT can help with basic coding now too; coding always came very easily to me since I am on the autism spectrum. Its sort of what I do for a living; (R is a programming language for statistics). Start by trying to be hyper-literal and by immersing yourself in each language's syntax. Next, use comments to clarify the series of steps you plan to take while trying to use as few lines of code as possible (use if/else statements, functions, loops etc. wherever convenient). Then, you need to test/debug your program; this looks VERY different depending on the quality of the development environment you are using. Some development environments will try to point out common errors for you; others are more stone age like/hard core. A single wrong character (including an invisible character) can through the entire program off. Finally, you can use Stack Exchange/your favorite search engine/desperate prayer if you get really stuck. Hope this helps.

Solas128
Solas128
144 posts
Scribe

@saint_of_gaming

When you say immersing yourself in each language's syntax, what languages do you mean and how would I immerse myself?

Also, what development environments would I use to test/debug a program I make.

saint_of_gaming
saint_of_gaming
599 posts
Shepherd

Well, you noted the html5 language in your initial post; immerse yourself by looking around on the Internet for articles/learning opportunities for this language. You already mentioned replit as a web-based IDE in your post. I don't have anything better to recommend (since I don't code in this area), but take another look around on your favorite search engine for "HTML 5 game IDE" and see what works best for you.

Solas128
Solas128
144 posts
Scribe

Alright.

Also I am taking like a programming class that should hopefully help me.

@saint_of_gaming

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,779 posts
Chamberlain

Good to see you taking such an interest in programming! Don't get discouraged when (not if) the classes get hard and nearly incomprehensible. It'll get like that sometimes, but it almost always passes. My biggest recommendation is to have your own projects going as well, and I think game projects work wonderfully for that. Try to work on things that seem like they aren't too hard, but that you don't necessarily know how to do. The best teacher is screwing around and finding out, but finding out in a good way

Showing 1-7 of 7