ForumsWEPRMigrants from mexico..... What are your views?

127 14735
squidlidink
squidlidink
479 posts
Farmer

I went on this trip called the Youth Migrant Project for a week and the trip totally changed my life! You got to go to a migrant camp and see what it was like and the houses are as small as a small bedroom. I saw one house that size and six people were living in it. We got to help the migrants by giving them food in a food drive we did. When I was passing out food to them I saw a baby with a growth on its head. I met a girl named Lefelia while I was there and she is fourteen years old just like me, but her life is entirely different. She has lived in California, Washington, all over the place! Right now Lefelia, even though she is only fourteen, is working in the fields for her family. She probably will not go to high school or college. She will probably never get a real home, her own bedroom, or for that matter even her own bed. Man, the conditions they have to live in, for all they do for us, with so little pay, that's just wrong. Some people think they are here to steal our jobs, but they aren't. They are here to provide for their families and they are here because this is supposed to be a free country where any man can get the money he deserves. If we send the migrants away, who do you think will be generous enough to switch their nice office job to go live in a house the size of a small bedroom and pick berries for eighteen cents a gallon? Not me. Not you.
Fair trade is a solution that can help the migrants and their families. Fair trade products are sold and the maker of the product gets good money. Call or write a letter to a store near you and ask if they can get more fair trade products to sell. Go on trips like the youth migrant project. Tell people what you think about the migration issue. Speak out; it will make a difference.

• 127 Replies
DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

Well, if they are illegal, then I don't care, but if they are legal and they are being treated like this? I care.

EL_Dyablo_666
EL_Dyablo_666
579 posts
Nomad

I don't really know much about that, sorry.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Do they have minimum wage protections?

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

im fine with migrants living here legally it is the illegal migrants who make me mad, well more like the people trying to think up of ways to allow the illegal migrants to come here legally, well a while back there was a debate on sending them straight to the system of becoming a citizen or just forcing them back to Mexico, but putting them straight in the system of citizenship is pretty much "cutting in line" of the people that are in the camps attempting to come here legally in the first place...so pretty we are at a dead end

squidlidink
squidlidink
479 posts
Farmer

No they don't have minimum wage protection... DUH!

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

i think that all illegal immigrants should either become a citizen or we should kick them back to where they came from

sushihair
sushihair
153 posts
Nomad

I agree fully with MsterXantos comnpletly.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

@sushihair
thank you

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

To be honest, I am fine with illegal immigrants as long as they keep their slate clean. Most illegal immigrants come here to start a new life, even if it starts out as bad as it is. Some have jobs that not many Americans would choose to have, so I have no problem with that. If these illegal immigrants start rising up into more power, then citizenship should be mandatory.

Legal immigrants are just like any of us, so I'll let them be.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

@Estel
yes i understand that but i don't want them here for a while taking our jobs then leave and give nothing back to this country and just take i want them to help and become a citizen vote for people do things to help america

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Well taking "our jobs," really only comes into play, when they become more successful, correct? That is why I am saying that citizenship should be mandatory at that point.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Again, "our jobs" are just as much their jobs if they are legal migrants.

It is actually very sad how employers will abuse the fact that Mexican workers will come here and work 12 hour days for little pay.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

yes it should be but it isn't my sister knows a person who is an illegal and he went through college and got a good paying job even though he is an illegal

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Well, then I think that might be a bit messed up. He got to college AND a good paying job, but not actually being a citizen? At that point, I would want to put citizenship as a "must."

@Ash, those jobs are just as much theirs if they are legal. I was talking about illegal immigrants taking our jobs.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

yes it should be but it isn't he went on to be some kind of thing with computers

Showing 1-15 of 127