ForumsWEPRThe Universe (or Multiverse)

69 12069
Thoth
Thoth
44 posts
Nomad

No, this topic has nothing to do with the existence of a Universe or Multiverse, so if you were looking for something like that ... Begone!

Everything I will say is rhetorical. All of these are "what ifs". And this topic probably makes no sense and is pointless. But still.

So, the question of this topic is:
What would it be like outside of the Universe. What colors (if any)? Would there be light? Or would it be like trying to explain what yellow is to a person who has always been blind?

Please nobody post something like "you can't get outside of the Universe, so hah!" For this purpose I will assume we can.

• 69 Replies
thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

it would be like nothing

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Well, I will address the color question. We had this guest philosopher come to our University to do a forum and he showed us a few slides of these colors in the dark, then displayed another image on the screen and we saw colors that do not exist in our "reality." The color I saw was strange almost purple green and black at the same time. I need to contact my professor to get more information on this. It seems like it might be relevant.

But, to address the entire scenario. You are asking us to imagine a world outside of our world. How would we conceive such a world if we have related experience with it?

I guess this is hard for me to wrap my head around. I need to see some other posts to go forward.

clipmaster3
clipmaster3
104 posts
Nomad

From a scientific standpoint, there are colors other than the blends of red, blues, and yellows that we are unable to observe; ultraviolet and infra-red lights, for example. We can't imagine what these colors look like, as they are out of our visible spectrum, though I think some other animals on earth can see these... I remeber something about that from biology.

sushihair
sushihair
153 posts
Nomad

No matter what,there will always be somethings in the universe we wont know,and that will be that if there is something bigger going on in space,and weve made attempts to find out,but we are just not advanced enough to find out.We should just wait and see.Every thing answers itself eventually.

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

most likely you would see a new universe lol.

Strat
Strat
107 posts
Nomad

I think I concur with what sushi seems to be hinting at - that just when we think we've crossed over the threshold of what we presently believed to be the universe, just when we enter a space of something completely different, we'd immediately have to include the new frontier within what we consider to be "the universe".

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I don't think there would be any way for us to experience anything outside of our own universe. At the very least, the laws of our universe would not apply - or at least not function in the same way.
I guess the interesting part here is if we managed to get there, would the new laws of physics change us somehow, or would we just implode on ourselves?
It seems logical to think that we might be able to see different color spectra since the speed of light would likely be different. But of course, I can't even imagine what that would "look like." But, then again, if the speed of light is different, then the wavelengths we would perceive would still the same, just classified differently, so I would imagine all of the colors would end up being exactly the same. We might technically be seeing UV light, but really it would just look violet to us, or some other already defined color.
I'm very interested in what Ash mentioned about these colors that don't actually exist. I would really enjoy learning about that.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Moe, the Laws of Physics and those of our Universe would totally disagree with the human race achieving the ability to go to "a different universe," but did people 500 years ago, ever think it was humanly possible for electricity to be used the way it is now? This could be related.

Now when you talk about the vision of a different universe, it could actually be indescribable. In "A Wrinkle in Time," the girl tries to describe "vision," and "color," to the sightless beasts. Now if you were blind from birth, than light and vision would be impossible to comprehend. Possibly the "look," of this "other universe," may follow under the same path.....just a thought.

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

There is nothing outside the universe and only God knows if there is. We will never know because we humans havent seen anything in our universe.

EL_Dyablo_666
EL_Dyablo_666
579 posts
Nomad

it would be like nothing

Will it?
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

No one can know for sure.

@dominated, just because we haven't been there yet, doesn't mean we never will. Satelites and probes can be sent out to explore for the sole purpose of information gathering. Oh, and we have seen a little bit more than you know. It probably doesn't even compare to the vastness og our universe, but we have made slight discoveries of far out stars and celestial bodies of some sorts.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Well in my opinion the Universe never ends. I mean, if it did, whats after it? Nothing> And whats nothing? Is it just empty space? If it is then that is still something. So if the Universe never ends (which it does not) i am going to kindly ignore what you said and still state that you can not get out side the Universe so it is pointless and stupid to theorize on nothing, which is something

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Ricador, you are thinking too close-minded. The universe can be compared to a plane that is ever continuing. An alternate universe would be another plane that continues forever, but it is parallel to our universe. Now there are mnay speculations on how it could be possible to "reach," other universes. Blackholes which strech time and space which could make it possible to get to another universe. Different dimensions could make it plausible. At this point, none of this can be really tested.

Mac_MK
Mac_MK
752 posts
Nomad

Here's an idea why doesn't NASA send a satellite to a Blackhole and see what happens when it gets inside but that's just a crazy thought I don't think Blackholes do anything special, about the color thing I'm going to search up and see if other colors exist but our eyes can't detect them

donosld
donosld
70 posts
Nomad

Well according to string theory, (or M-theory to be exact) our entire universe exists on a multi-demensional (11) membrane "or brane" It is believed (but not proven) that there are other "branes" possibly an infinite number of them (their existence actually explains the "big bang" quite well). Because we are stuck on this "brane" even though a whole entire universe could be a millimeter away, we are unable to touch or see them. These literally parallel universes could be vastly different from ours. Think about it, change one of the fundamental constants of nature (ie. if the strong force were weaker) than atoms would not be able to hold together, and the entire universe would consist of quarks. I tend to think of it this way, just as a dog can not possibly hope to comprehend physics, or astronomy (their brains are simply not wired that way) we can not hope to understand what lies outside of our universe, only God can.

@Mac_MK. Well first off, GETTING a satellite to a black hole would be a great feat, the closest believed one is MILLIONS of light years away. So using currently propulsion systems it might take several trillion years to get there, and by that time Earth's sun would have died out and nobody would be left on earth to care about it. Plus any probe we sent anywhere near a black hole would be undergo "spaghettification" (yes that is a REAL scientific term look it up) and be utterly crushed massive tidal forces. AND on top of that, its called a black hole for a reason. Light can not escape it. Radio Waves, our primary means of communication with satellites, is electromagnetic radiation, same as visible light, we wouldn't be able to get any sort of readings from the satellite (assuming we could build one that could withstand the tidal forces long enough to actually reach the singularity.)

Showing 1-15 of 69