ForumsWEPRUnited States: Is involvement a good thing?

10 4022
thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

how involved should the u.s.a. get involved with other countries

• 10 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Sorry, I changed your topic title...it was just a bit vague.

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

well then thanks i guess it was

clipmaster3
clipmaster3
104 posts
Nomad

I think we can all agree that with the &quotrogress" (sarcasm) of our presence in Iraq, the answer is no.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

No country should ever become completely isolationist. But how involved a country gets is a matter of debate. The US presence in Western Europe after WWII saved them from Stalin's brutality. We did not attack the Soviets, nor did we enter any sort of conventional war in Europe. Our work there was justified. Obviously our involvement in Iraq is completely worthless. We were the aggressors and little has changed.

But what about the situations in Kosovo or Somalia? Were we justified to be there? I don't know. Should we have invaded Rwanda in 1994 to stop the genocide? I don't know. People insult us by calling us the "world's police." But then when we do nothing (like in Rwanda or Darfur), those same people get mad that we did nothing. There is a fine line on how involved the US should be throughout the world. It's sometimes hard to distinguish where that line is.

snowman1474
snowman1474
225 posts
Peasant

I think other countries should have privacy like we do. We shouldn't have the right to invade another country just because we can. Our government is corrupt, and I HATE living in the United States. SO NOOOOO!
If they ask for help then help, BUT not before!

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa76/snowman1474/snowman147logocopy.png

Midnightday
Midnightday
86 posts
Nomad

There are clear scenarios where we can offer military assistance, key word being assistance. In Iraq, we invaded their country, and really just hit the reset button on mostly everything they were doing. There is a clear battle between the Sunni and Shiite sects of Islam. But that doesn't justify changing Iraq's basic government and the structure of the country.

But places that do really need help like Darfur and possibly even other countries whos problems haven't even been publicized are being overlooked by our government's obsession with the middle east.

Maybe Bush had an underlying agenda. After 9-11 he felt like he had to do something, "keep America safe." Bush just can't swallow his pride and realize that he was wrong and that there is no real reason to stay in Iraq.

Probably our invasion of Iraq has been the biggest failure on any type of war on terrrorism. They should pull out, regroup, and make better decisions before forcing our presence on another country.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@snowman1474

You think the US government is corrupt? Our government looks like a saint compared the the vast majority of governments. Here there is more freedom of speech, social rights, justice, and equality than about three fourths of the world. As much as I criticize the US, there are so many great things. If you hate living in the US, you obviously hate freedom.

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

@ clipmaster and snowman

the question wasn't whether we should get involved or not, it [i]how
involved we should be

Msj2705
Msj2705
23 posts
Nomad

Well with this sort of thing i kindof have to go with the generic answer: Bush sucks, our soldiers are awesome, bring them out before the cost of oil makes us leave them there because we don't have a billion dollars, america is awesome, bush sucks, why are we even there?, bush sucks, maybe google earth can find our "worst nightmere", bush sucks, and bring our roops back this time because we are making no progress anymore at all. If "alkader" comes back out after we leave then just bomb him while he is out in the open and problem solved.

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

thanks to everyone who has posted so far i appreciate the info

Showing 1-10 of 10