ForumsWEPRMultiple Posts On The Same Topic

7 2164
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Everyone who hangs out in this section of the forums is aware that there are a lot of discussions on many different types of issues.. You are also aware that there are...well...way to many discussions on the same types of issues.

(When i say post, i mean topic, but in this case the different posts/topics are the same topic, just want to clarify that otherwise this might get more confusing than it is).

(I use Christianity as an example because that is the topic that i have noticed it the most with, but there are also many others).

A while ago someone posted a topic on Christianity. I thought, "OK cool, now people can have a intelligent discussion on the subject because it is admittedly a major topic". Then, another one came up almost exactly like it, and another. Soon, there were 3 or 4 topics on Christianity. It was quite frustrating seeing this different topics pop up all the time instead of just one. So this leads me to the point of this post: There are issues with having ongoing discussions on the same topic in different posts.

Issues:

- It get's annoying seeing three or four topics that are the same in the list of topics. It makes it look like there are not a lot of different topics going on and it also helps make it look like there are not many new ones coming out because you keep on seeing the same ones over and over again, it gets boring. Also, because there are four that keep popping up, there is less space for other topics, i mean, the ones below them get booted of the first page quicker because there is less space, then the ones that are off the first page are not noticed even if it might be a fantastic topic.

- If someone is having a debate on one of the posts, and then they see another debate on the same topic just a different matter, they might join that one to. So then there is one person in two different debates that are different but on the same subject, except they are on different posts. Because of this, the person might get confused, or lose there train of thought on one because of the other ETC. Also, ideas in one debate might play into the other debate. So it would really help if the debates were condensed into one debate into one post. That way not only is it easier, but the debate expands and allows more ideas from everyone to flow through.

- It increases spamming. Someone might go through each of them, saying the exact same thing, so that way they only do the thinking and the work once, but they also get all of the points for it. It also makes it harder to track down spammers because there are so many. So if it was all condensed, the person only has to say it once, or only can say it once. Also, people that post jibberish will get caught because a mod just has to scroll through the one post and not the other three or four to.

So i just wanted to get that out there because it has been on my mind for a while now, and i think if people listen to this it can really improve this section of the forums (World Events, Politics, Religion).

• 7 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

We need to find these topics and lock them. This will help push them to the back of the forum.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

But, it will be easier to keep up with if we can locate these topics now. Then make an updated sticky to emphasize on this.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Yes, but it also needs to be enforced, because if people just do this again after we locked the other topics, it will be like chasing your own tail.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

so, ah, should we let mods know if theres more than one topic on the same thing? or is that too much hassle for you guys? i could see like a dozen people all telling you about the same thing.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Yes.

@florglee2. Yes if you see multiple posts on a topic, figure out which one looked like it was made first, or has more responses so the mods can lock up the other(s).

masta_cheef
masta_cheef
670 posts
Nomad

Yeah we should flag the newer posts about the same topics and just stick with the ones that are most popular, Just like Ricador said

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l373/rmrking/MASTA_CHEEF-1.jpg?t=1215763944

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Yep.

MASTA CHEEF YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN.

Showing 1-7 of 7