ForumsWEPRA Biased topic on being biased

41 6835
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

This is a biased topic that I am making because it is *mainly* directed towards homosexual people.

*If you are not comfortable talking about your sexuality in an appropriate way please do not feel obligated to post here.*

I was wondering if any of you gay folks out there find yourself discriminating against straight people? For example:

This lesbian comedian I was watching admitted that as a cop she wouldn't ticket gay people. She may or may not have been joking. Either way, because we (homosexuals) have such oppression that we are worried about, no one ever talks about how we might discriminate against the straight folks. I find that I will prefer to be around gay people than I will straight. I feel that is normal for my lifestyle. BUT...I would definitely go out of my way to help someone that was gay versus a straight person.

• 41 Replies
steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

I myself am not gay, but I felt that I should comment on this because I STRONGLY disagree with discrimination like this. I think that it is pretty bad when gays and straits start discriminating each other. People should like others because of their personality, not their sexual orientation. I think that it is rather pathetic that people have gotten so low as to discriminate against others like this.

Asherlee said: BUT...I would definitely go out of my way to help someone that was gay versus a straight person.

Why!?!? Shouldn't you be helping people for the sake of doing the right thing and not because of their sexual orientation? You are judging people just because they aren't gay, you are basically saying, all strait people are bad.

Even though I may not agree with the way an individual goes about doing their love business, doesn't mean that I won't help the person or be friends with the person. Their sexual orientation is none of my business, so why judge a person based on something that is none of your business?

well, that is all I have to say on the matter...
Strat
Strat
107 posts
Nomad

If anything, what you might see on occasion is the same kind of preferential treatment or additional attention that women often receive from straight males. But does this mean that straight males are "discriminating" against their fellow men? I don't think it makes sense to conclude that. It's a kind of focus reserved for certain circumstances based on instincts, I believe; possibly a way of scoping out a potential future match

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Ahhh, good point. I was kind of feeling like I was subconsciously discriminating against straight people and it made me feel like a hypocrite. But if you put it THAT way!

ialwayswin
ialwayswin
777 posts
Jester

I'm not sure why everyone gives homosexuals so much shit,even if they are christian. I am christian and the bible does say stuff about not being gay,but I dont remember it saying to give the people who choose to be gay such a hard time about it. Well when you ask discriminating against straight people,is it just a comeback because they complain about homosexuals,or just because you think being straight is stupid. Well yeah if you discriminate straight people yet you think its stupid that they discriminate homosexuals..well no offence but thats bad lol. Either way,I'm straight and never had a gay guy or girl come up to me because I was with a girl. Well I just think that people should put their differences aside.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

ialwayswin, you have completely missed the point.

steevo, you are also missing my point. I must not be explaining this the way I want. I am asking if other gay people do this?

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Asherlee, feeling the urge to help other gay people out more than straight people out is a normal thing because you feel like you have more in common with homosexuals than straight people... and why not?

Everyone has a few characteristics that they themselves hold sacred (or hold in spite). You hold being a homosexual sacred and so do most homosexuals, and you all shate this sacred thing. You all hold something very strong in common with each other.

I myself am a bit of a realist and a hippie. These characteristics are a sacred part of me, which is why I feel moe comfortable talking to realistic people and hippies.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Thank you, NoName, that is what I am trying to get at.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Honestly, I do not think there are many open homosexuals on ArmorGames. I beleive many other gay people feel that way as well, but I can only asume for I myself am straight.

I have a friend, this girl. She is bisexual and the last time I talked to her she had a boyfriend. I never met the guy so I do not know what kind of guys she was into but she claimed to be a man hater (not a radical one... she just did not like guys,not most of them).

I sat with her and her friends at lunch for a while, most of her friends were girls, there was another guy who sat at the table as well. All of her friends were "bi".

The guy was always against cussing and had virgin ears. He would become upset when someone cussed around him and so it was a rule to not cuss at the table. Hes a nice kid and not biased against anyone which is why I think they liked him sitting at their table.

Now, I beleive that they were even biased against straight people a little bit. Being straight myself, a lot of what I said was over ruled by the girls at the table. They seemed to listen and take in each other's opinions more than other people's opinions. Now they could have taken each other's opinions in because they were friends, but they would talk about them being different than everybody else a lot and it seemed to be the main topic, them being different than the world.

Now they did listen to what I had to say, and many times what I said proved to be right and they saw this. They listened to other people, but they listened to each other more. What I could tell was that the main chain binding their friendship was their independence which most of them showed through being bi.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Anyways, as I said before (forgot to go back and finish my first paragraph), I don't think there are many openly gay/bi people on AG. So you may have a hard time finding people to talk to about this topic... or at least here on AG. I myself am not gay or bi so I can only asume. I hope you do find some other people you can relate to to talk about this with.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I am straight and i think that any form of discrimination, which ever side it is directed at, is wrong.

Although saying that you are more comfortable around gays than straights is very wrong. That is the equivalent than saying i would rather hang out with whites than blacks (vice-versa).

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

Oh, I see what you are saying Ash...

I think I understand more what you are saying now that I read NoName's post. I don't think that the word discrimination is right... I think the old saying "birds of a feather flock together" would be more appropriate.

So I'd say that it would be normal for other gays to do that, and same with other strait people... I still don't think it is right though.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

@ Ricador
That so eh? You discriminate allot yourself.

Strongbow
Strongbow
324 posts
Nomad

I think it's perfectly normal to favor people who share your beliefs or lifestyles over those who do not. Most groups that distinguish themselves from others usually have that unspoken bond with one another. I think its particularily strong in groups that have been persecuated in one way or another. Until recently, homosexuals have had to cover it up. An old friend of my family just came out about 3 years ago and he is 57. He has a lot of stories to tell about what gents around him said about gays.

I suppose that what I'm trying to get at is:
As long as anyones favoritism doesn't infringe on the rights of others, does it really matter?

WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

Maybe Strongbow has a point. As long as no one loses their personal rights or freedoms who cares? You should help the person who needs it the most given a choice. If there was a straight guy bleeding out on the sidewalk and a gay guy with a hemorrhoid, you better help that straight guy.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

I dont hate straight people just because im bi, i do think i have the right to defend myself when the usual lolgayfaghomo jokes start coming around. I have felt a little more comfortable around the few gay people i have met, they dont make fun of you for being gay.

Showing 1-15 of 41