ForumsWEPRVagabonds

24 4732
XxHellBlazerxX
XxHellBlazerxX
43 posts
Nomad

We've seen them in the streets but why are they still in the streets and what can we do to help homeless people have a normal life like we do.

• 24 Replies
WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

What in the hell is a vagabond? That sounds like a mix between denture glue and Vagasil, I hope you aren't mixing them. Ouch! Really, did you have to choose that name?

Homeless people are homeless for reasons that never end. There is no answer, some homeless people are homeless by choice. They have money, they have the ability, they just don't. Some people want to get out, but just can't.

Strat
Strat
107 posts
Nomad

*bursts out laughing*

Oh man...

*laughs some more*

Sorry.

*ahem*

I believe you meant to say "vagrants".

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Vagabond is an appropriate synonym for a hobo/homeless person, at least in the United States.

I know that many are mentally challenged in one way or another, so holding a steady job for many of them is not an option. They are not sick enough to be placed into state run care facilities like a homicidal maniac might be, but they are clearly a common source of crime, especially theft.
Some might also have drug problems, or have just found that downward spiral in the toilet of society. There are certainly a myriad of reasons why someone would live in the streets.
I think really the only thing a government can do is to "throw money" at the problem. Allocate more funding for psychiatric facilities and job training for those who are capable. Affordable government subsidized housing would also have to me a must. But it's hard to convince people to get behind such legislation considering the overwhelming costs.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

If you want to help Bums, move to China. This is a Capitalist nation my friend.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@Ricador

It is myh Capitalist right to help out homeless people. You make Capitalism sound like such a vile and disgusting system. Yet the most free nations in the world practice it and have very low numbers of homeless people.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

I think really the only thing a government can do is to "throw money" at the problem. Allocate more funding for psychiatric facilities and job training for those who are capable. Affordable government subsidized housing would also have to me a must. But it's hard to convince people to get behind such legislation considering the overwhelming costs.

We could "throw money" if we could save the 40 billion dollars going to Iraq every month.
And, capitalism is not vile.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I suppose that because I grew up in Texas I have a different view on homeless people. A lot of them are a trick down there. There is actually a company that hires people to stand on the side of the road and beg for money. I only feel bad for a small percentage of homeless people in America. Those that are possibly mentally ill, etc.

Most, I do not feel sorry for. Being a bum is a choice a lot of them make. I see this on shows like Intervention and specials on homeless people. They prefer to live on the streets and beg. Hell, I even saw where this millionaire gave away all of his money because he wanted to live on the streets as a bum. He said: "It is so much less responsibility."

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Well, I just moved from the richest county in North America, but minutes away from there is the slums of DC. It is out there, and sometimes it can be pretty hard to watch if you aren't used to it.

People in that condition are usually the affect of their doing. Look at MC Hammer, Michael Vick, etc. Even the rich can become bankrupt just like that. Bad financial plans and uses of money lead to all of your money being gone.

To help against this is another story. We give to charity and it does help, but not as much as you may think.

@Ash, that's a pretty interesting story you got there. I would never want that kind of life, but it's his choice.....

tehblackknight
tehblackknight
60 posts
Nomad

well I would say living minutes from chicago helped me realize hobos are real and will be there until the end of time but they need to get a job and help the economy

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

@tehblackknight, they can't just go out and get a job. Would you hire a random hobo off the street? I wouldn't. I would hire someone that has experience, has at least some sort of education, (preferably high school level) and someone with a clean record.

Hobos usually don't have experience in alot of things, but if they have any, then it isn't that much. Also, if hobos had a high school education, they wouldn't be on the streets anyway. And to be honest, I think hobos do tend to steal what they can, and I bet some have had a run-in with the cops once or twice.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

So, I just watched another episode of Intervention. The kid on here has a heroin problem. He panhandles everyday. Here are his stats:

$100 a day on heroin
$100 a day on food, drinks, cigs, and beer

That is $200 a day.

$1400 a week.

$5600 a month.

$67,200 a YEAR.

I'm quitting my job and going pan-handling. Being a bum is the best career yet.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

There are homeless where I live. most of them are mental, and it strikes me. The economy is THIS bad that we can't care for the mentally sick people that need care?

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

thepyro, it really is a fickle thing. We have medicaid for those people but it is never simple for them. Without a home for case managers to come visit them there is no helping them. It is sad. That is where I have a soft spot for the homeless.

SerbWarrior
SerbWarrior
38 posts
Nomad

give em a job,i mean,its not like they like being hobos,its that people WONT give them a job!

Kurgle
Kurgle
163 posts
Nomad

I thought Vagabond was a wanderer or just a traveler. Because that's what I want to do in my life, just wander and travel. But yeah, I feel bad for some bums but then again I think 'Hey, they chose to live in the box and getting looked down on people' so I don't. And I've made some friends with some really cool bums I've met in random places. Most of them are pretty normal and are up for a conversation.

And yes, capitalism is vile and disgusting.

Showing 1-15 of 24