ForumsWEPRTMAS- Too Much Abbreviating Syndrom

12 3566
jalex12
jalex12
195 posts
Nomad

If everyone keeps abbreviating words like lol or brb what will happen to us. It is consuming the young teens and adults of the world we must warn everyone about this.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/oogiesson/leetspeak4cz1jr8yj.gif

• 12 Replies
jalex12
jalex12
195 posts
Nomad

Please show that pic to people so they know the truth about it!

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Really, I have only seen a few people use it in real life if that is what you mean. Those are the myspace addicts anyways. This forum seems to look down upon terms like that which is why I like it. There are forums and chat rooms that want those terms but if you don't like them, don't go there.

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

I like 1337 speech, atleast i like it when being 100% sarcastic...so i support keeping it for that purpose. Since i haven't seen it used seriously once, ever.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

at totl rvw, I thnk tht it does nt mtter also tns of ppl use it thr is nthng rong wit it so just be quiet ppl and let us be

I am actually joking, I do support proper grammar and conventions. and the usage of WHOLE words. I will spread this picture around, IT NEEDS TO BE HEARD (or seen).

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
325 posts
Peasant

G0D D@m abbreviations & Dam G0D for them.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Wht do u mn? I dnt undrstnd cmpltly. I sck @ ths newayz.

Yeah, I am on the same stand as Ricador. I hate it when people use wrong spelling and things like that...

I speak goodly grammer myself.

KingRyan

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

Y 15 j00 b4991n9 0n t3h 13375p34k?!!??!!!11!1!!one!!

No but now seriously I only use 1337 speak when trying to be sarcastic/mocking, and chat speak when well, if im playing a game and i don't have time to type out the full words (but still barely used, I'm a fast typer). But i don't even use any of them while on a chat service. It does pain me when i see people trying to spell out correctly and they spell it the shortened way (which i have seen before). That is just sad if they use it so much to the point they think its correct. But I for one don't see people saying lol in real life.

But I truly don't see the harm in it. What harm is it bringing to you? Chat speak just if anything makes it quicker to read (unless you don't understand an abbreviation) and 1337 speak, well the point of it is actually to make you read slower if you don't understand it, but they are really only used in websites that, well, aren't actually the websites you would go to for an intellectual chat. I've actually seen plenty of sites where in the terms of service they tell you not to write in 1337 speak (though I don't think this site was one of them...). Either way, if someone is talking in 1337 speak, you probably shouldn't even bother to listen.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Also, a picture is not going to stop people from using it.

dragoncrusher
dragoncrusher
773 posts
Peasant

I dont use these abbreviations that much. I think that people shold just type the whole word. (If your smart enough). But, im not just going to go and say "Laugh out Loud!" when I could just say "LOL!" So, it goes both ways, but I do think that these abbreviations aren't teaching our people the right way to type.

ialwayswin
ialwayswin
777 posts
Jester

lol,omg you think that people walk around talking like this? lmao you r funny,well ttyl...

Vitamins
Vitamins
141 posts
Nomad

lol,omg you think that people walk around talking like this? lmao you r funny,well ttyl...

My friend's friend talks like that.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

*eyes the mild profanity on the thread* hm.

Y 15 j00 b4991n9 0n t3h 13375p34k?!!??!!!11!1!!one!!

The sad thing is that I understood that perfectly and instantly D: I come from a time when leetspeak was sort of cool. Most of you couldn't possibly imagine that. Most of you will also stop respecting me when you find out that I use common chatspeak terms in physical speech: "I lol'd hard. I'll brb."

I'm such a sad case.

By the way, using abbreviations and acronyms is hardly the same as using chatspeak. Normally you'd be allowed to use abbreviations/acronyms depending on what you're writing, and proper practice is to explain what it is you're abbreviating. For example: "Changes in caudate nucleus volume (CNV) was initially proposed to be inversely related to the volume of the lateral ventricules (Vl)." After the abbreviations have been established using the parentheses, you can just use them straight out.
Showing 1-12 of 12