ForumsWEPRoil in Alaska

50 7380
thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

should we destroy the nature in alaska for oil?

• 50 Replies
thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

oh and just to add a little info, there is an estimate that there is enough oil in alaska to make gas prices in the CENTS range

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

also i say we should but don't judge me

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Well, I look at it that eventually we will have to use that oil. Why not use some of it now?

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Well, many things to say here. I read that about 97% of Alaska is Wildlife Preserve, so drilling in animals' habitats could alter the food chain, etc. Now there is NOT that much oil. Drilling in Alasks may help gas prices a little bit, but not into the cents region. Hehe, listening to McCain I presume? :P

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

i said it was an estimate not fact

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Well, not to be rude, but that can't even be considered much of an estimate. The lowest it might go down is 50 cents, MAYBE. Not logical because the US would have to start selling to the rest of the world, especially India and China.

Grey
Grey
281 posts
Nomad

Yes, we should.

Stupid polar bears.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Stupid polar bears.

1) Polar bears don't even live in Alaska.
2) Killing them would badly disrupt the ecosystem there.
3) It is not just the polar bears in danger. They wouldn't be in danger if we dug oil up in Alaska though.
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Actually, the ecosystem wouldn't change TOO much. Remember, polar bears are at the top, so there will be a surplus of fish and other things that polar bears eat....the animals that we're talking about are caribou, migratory birds, etc.

Oh, and polar bears do actually live in the northern most parts of Alaska.

Grey
Grey
281 posts
Nomad

A polar bear would eat you if it had the chance.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Yes, but humans are not part of their diet. If humans went extinct, it wouldn't affect a polar bear.

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Yet you couldn't fight back because they are protected
Go Polar bears

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

You can fight back if they are attacking you. You are allowed to protect yourself in a life threatening situation..

BACK ON TOPIC!

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

u guys make me laugh http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj15/xmonkeyviolinx/cute_pandas.jpg

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Actually, the ecosystem wouldn't change TOO much. Remember, polar bears are at the top, so there will be a surplus of fish and other things that polar bears eat....the animals that we're talking about are caribou, migratory birds, etc.

The ecosystem would change. Okay, polar bears are at the top. Humans are at the top. So, if we took out all the humans, what would that do to the ecosystem? It would change it greatly. Now, polar bears wouldn't have a huge impact but it would change. Polar bears are carnivores so they eat fish, seals, and other water critters. That means those water critters would increase in population. Fish eat the plankton and other small water critters. Those little guys eat plants and algae. Now, we would have a lot more plants and algae in the oceans. This could disrupt the oxygen/carbon in the water. Would we see this change really? The answer is no but it would still disrupt the ecosystem. Okay, let's get this back on topic...

Drilling in Alaska would not lower the gas prices really. We would probably lower our import of foreign oil to save money. So, really, we didn't change anything except save some bucks for the government.
Showing 1-15 of 50