ForumsWEPRForced to go to a church camp

28 4963
daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

Ok i didn't know if this would go in here or in the tavern so sorry if it isn't in the right place, but i am being forced to go to a church camp. If you have seen some of my past posts i am athiest and live in the middle of the bible belt. So i tried to get people to understand that i am not christian and why i think so, of course everyone started getting mad, and now i am being forced to go to a camp to get "god's word injected into me". So i will not be on for about 4 or 5 days

• 28 Replies
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Want sympathy? Guess what, you're still a kid. You have to do what your parents say. If you get all down and glum about it, you will have no fun. Try to stay uplifted and maybe you can get something out of it.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I think swift's parent should be a little more understanding of his beliefs. Once you've made that decision that you just can't accept god, it becomes incredibly awkward to go through the motions. There are certain consolations I make at family gatherings where I am at least "reverent" during prayers and such, but swift is going to stick out and probably be ridiculed. Ugh, I just get sick thinking about it.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

@Thelistman, How can this place be fun? ive been there before and all it is are people preaching, 1 or 2 bands and basicly just walking around talking to people

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Then talk to people. Be social. If you go into anything dreading it, you will not have a good time.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

No. If he is going to a place where he believes the opposite of what they say, it would be boring. Also his parents SHOULD be more understanding and except the fact that he has different beliefs than them. And I am a christian and saying this.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

What both of you are missing is that parents are only doing what they believe to be best. Parents make us do things we hate. I never understood half the crap my parents made me do when I was your guy's age (14 according to your profiles). Now it's much more clear. They are not purposely torturing you. They are not trying to bore you. They are making the best decisions for you. Once you're older, you'll probably understand.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Just have fun with it. Debate. pretend you're a satanist. Say things like "That's the stupidest idea I've heard since creationism.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Ha Ha i like that idea XZeno, wow i am being so Anti Chrisitian right now, i will be kicked out of my Church :0.

But seriously, just do stuff like that and see how long it takes for you to get sent home.

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

Yea just go along with it until it is over. And after it is over forget it all.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Or you can sit down with your parents and have a nice long in depth discussion with them. (AKA tell them you don't want to go and you won't because you don't believe in god and see if they will listen to you for more than 8 minutes.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Arrow, if you are really being forced, then I suggest packing some ammunition of logic. You've been apart of this forum and I think ALL of our debating skills have increased while be here. Think about it. NONE of us let someone slide with a fallacious argument. Read up on some of the religious topics we have here and go in prepared when they approach you.

But remember, even though you don't agree with the crazies, be respectful. Don't do what they do.

Dawt
Dawt
26 posts
Nomad

Minors keep the right to Freedom of Religion.

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

Well, back in the day when I was young, my parents asked me if I wanted to go to camp, and they respected my answer. that's the way it should be done.

god_of_classic_rock
god_of_classic_rock
299 posts
Nomad

I agree with Agent_86, that is the way it should be done. I'm not a religous person and if my parents asked me to go to camp if I said no, I wouldn't go, that would be the end of it.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

Moe said: I think swift's parent should be a little more understanding of his beliefs.

Yeah, but right now they aren't being understing, and thinking that they should be isn't going to change anything.

So basically, you just have to deal, I agree with the things the thelistman is saying. If you are going to go into this with a negative attitude, then it will make it even more miserable for you.

Think of the life experience this could teach you, next time there is something that you have to do, but don't want to do, then you will know what attitude to go into the situation with.
Showing 1-15 of 28