12 2835
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Bacon or sausage?

I think bacon because it tastes better.

<-*-><-*-><-*->

There is an infinate number of ideas you could come up with to creat a "this vs that" thread. Hamburgers or cheeseburgers, cats or dogs, this band vs that band, this band vs that other band, apples or oranges, Superman or Batman, ninjas vs pirates, acoustic vs electric, Harry Potter vs Lord of the Rings, Pepsi or Coke?

Ok, there are many possible ways to creat this vs that threads... but what is the problem with this vs that threads?

Read the very top. I asked which one is better, bacon or sausage. Now try to think of a reply that requires a decent level of thought. Think of a way to reply were you use more than three sentences... hardly anybody writes more than two.

Ok, so there are a few short comments, spam or not, they are only for fun. No need to get annoyed.

The reason why I am against "This vs That" threads is because they are the biggest gatherings for spam and not only are people getting cheap points this way, but they are also bumping down more intelligent posts! Bumping them down and back.

<-*-><-*-><-*->

I beleive that "This vs That" threads need to meet a certain critaria. Rules must be set.

1. This vs That threads should not be too specific. Example, instead of "Spiderman vs The Green Goblin" make a thread "Heros vs Villains".

2. The starting post should always be at least a full paragraph long (or at least 4 sentences). They should re-explain what the "this vs" that is about, give an example, give a reason, give your own opinion, and encourage others to state a reason as well.

3. If you are going to respond to a "This vs That", state your answer and write more than just a sentence! Talk about why you think so and suport the reason why. Tell a story about why or give examples why. Don't simply say things like "Villains. Because they are cooler". An example of a decent reply would be:

I think villains are cooler than heros. They get a cool evil laugh and better outfits. Also, they just have so much more fun! Heros always have to follow cerain lame rules and must be carefull to not hurt anybody or destroy more than what it's worth.

4. Make fun topics. Don't make topics that are boring like "Bacon or Sausage". Lets face it... that is a very boring topic. Make something fun, something were people can get a little goofy with their answers. Don't ask little trivial questions like "what kind of food do you like?" or "what is your favorite day?"

There are good threads out there and the last thing everybody wants is to see their thread die quickly, the thread they spent their time on thinking of ways to make it inturesting and intelligent, just to watch it get bumped back by stupid trivial questions.

Also can we stop having so many "this video game vs that video game" threads? The only this vs that video game threads that make sence are threads that compare games of the same genre. First Person Shooter vs First Person Shoorter, or Platformer vs Platformer. Comparing Halo to Super Mario for example is completely lame and just makes no sence what so ever! They are two different types of games... like comparing apples to black holes... ya, doesn't make much sence does it?

so I add rule number...

5. All this vs that threads under Video Games should compare two video games of the same genra.

<-*-><-*-><-*->

Everything above is just an idea of rules. I would realy like to see less "This vs That" threads.
  • 12 Replies
Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

Now try to think of a reply that requires a decent level of thought.

cuz bacon is uber!!1

The sad thing is there ARE vs. thread rules in the Tavern and Music/Movies forum, but I don't really see them inforced. The rules you suggested are great because they are specific as opposed to the current vs. thread rules which are simpler.

Though the current vs. thread rules are open to some interpretation (and perhaps not as stringent), they basically cover most vs. threads, it is just a matter of it being inforced. I would like some of your suggested rules to be added, but moreover I would like mods to crack down on the vs. threads.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

1st rule you put up there.
Why can't you be specific? If you put Heros vs Villains that is all depended on opinion! Green Goblin could be the Hero to some people and the Villain to others!

2nd rule.
You like to read paragraphs about spongebob vs fairly odd parents (or somthin)?

Okies I'll try what you say should do

This vs That is about comparing two alike things and giving your opinion about them. Such as the title Spongebob vs Fairly odd Parents. I for one prefer to watch Spongebob because he always overreacts and acts in a funny way. I will now implore you with great haste on extracting your opinion into text on a post.
I don't wanna have to write or read an essay everytime I open a topic!

You must learn to read minds!!! (jk) They might actually be cooler and if you don't know why while your stating your opinion you can ask "Why is he cooler? He is dumb!"

4. You want entertainment? Try watching your microwave.
All subjects can be turned into funnyness!
Death vs Life
player1:Zomg teh grim reaper is out ta get meeieieieieie!!!
player2:lol. When life gives you lemons make grapejuice!

Rule 5
It does make sense because when they make the title it is more of First person shooter vs platform jumper(halo vs supermario)

Regarding Spam

In forum games there are countings till something happens or a mod/admin/user posts!
all you say is
player1:1..
player2:2!!
player1:3eee

per post and you think This vs That is spam?

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Graham.. I have no idea if you are suporting my ideas or not but most of what you said makes little to no sence.

In forum games there are countings till something happens or a mod/admin/user posts!
all you say is
player1:1..
player2:2!!
player1:3eee
per post and you think This vs That is spam?

The forum games are worth 0 AP and it is a one of a kind thread. There are not many other threads like it excpet the "Post before a user posts" (made for the mods to play the user's role).

If there were only a few "This vs That"s out there then I would not have posted this.

Think before you talk, think before you post.
dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

I see no problem with short posts in this thread stating your own opinion.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I made the rules, and I do try and enforce them without seeming like an old cantankerous man. XD

I go through almost all of them every week or so, take care of the really short and pointless posts, and lock up the whole thing if I see it not getting any better.

Trust me, I got it under control. ^_^

Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

What if we like old cantankerous men? Er--that came out wrong...

I do suppose that the entire issue is a matter of perspective. One person may enjoy more elaborate expressions of opinion while another may like something simpler and more straightforward answers.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Wow that took forever to read my friend. But you are RIGHT.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

I just like to first try and prove all the rules wrong X)

Umm... I only like the rule # 3 :\\

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

This is very true, its like nobody reads the Vs thread rule and start a war with the versus junk. You have good points I would have spoken up but I have other junk to do.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Well I do see less this vs that threads, I will admit. I made this after seeing about 4 of them all bumped in a row to the top. I guess I made this mostly to let out some steam.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

That should be settled by now, I suppose.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Pretty much. ^_^

*jumps on head of thread, Goomba style*

Showing 1-12 of 12