ForumsWEPRCell Phone Age?

44 7994
steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

Well, it all started when I was walking out of Buffalo Wild Wings with my friends, and I saw these two kids, one was about 7 and one was about 9, they each had their own cell phones, it looked as if they just got them.

I personally thought that it was ridiculous that a 7 and 9 year old had their own cell phones, there would be no use for it.

What are your views on what age you should own a cell phone?

• 44 Replies
WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

I think parents that buy their kids cell phones that young should be smacked in the head. Unless you are sending your kids off places all by themselves, they don't need a cell phone! The classic argument is "when my kid is at school and needs me he can call me on his cell phone" but that argument is BOGUS! Kids have been getting schooled outside of the home for HUNDREDS OF YEARS without cell phones, so suck it up and teach your kids to handle problems on their own without having to call you every five seconds.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Dam technological era is getting us too dependent.
Our generation is so different from our last.

god_of_classic_rock
god_of_classic_rock
299 posts
Nomad

I think you should at least be 13 to get a cellphone. 7 or 9 is just ridiculous.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

I was 15 when I got my cell phone, but, that is mainly because my parents noticed that i started going more and more places on my own.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

OK so its settled. Pretty retarded for a 7 year to have a cell phone.

Next topic =D

WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

Let's convert this topic to why parents feel the need to coddle their children like they are made of porcelain. Given I am not a parent so I can not tell you how I raised my child(ren), but being the son to my parents for the past 18 years gives me some liberty to talk about it. I think parents are too clingy and sensitive in this day and age and I believe that the kids will detriment from all of this pampering.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

And you blame capitalism for that! Right!?

WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

And you blame capitalism for that! Right!?

No, I blame Oprah and all those other soft-hearted people who have American parents convinced that their kid is a fragile and unbalanced being that needs to be monitored and controlled every second of every day. Some parents even have GPS chips put on their child like I would do with a dog. Absolutely ridiculous, but thanks for playing, Drace.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Lol. Well I can argue that all that crap comes from people wanting to make a profit.. Ughum Oprah.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Its all about deceiving people now to make a profit.

"Sell a fish to a man, he eats every day, teach a man how to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity."

Woah used this quote twice today!

WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

Drace, please do not double post, you can fit a lot into these fancy little text boxes. It's not about deceiving people, it's about trying to change the way that we think. It used to be back when my parents were children that their parents were not as close with them and they did not get all the constant reinforcement and support that the kids of today get. Maybe I should do a little research because I believe that kind of coddling might lead to emotional problems and conditions.

Yes, you used it twice, doesn't mean you should have used it.

ArmourGames
ArmourGames
57 posts
Nomad

My 7 year old cousin wants a Cell Phone,I don't have one even if I did I would never use it!

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I think the media scares parents. All you ever see:

- Kids being abducted
- Murders
- Rape
- Terrorism

Naturally the parents want to protect their children and if a cell phone might help in the time of need, then by God they are going to make their child carry one. The problem, as said earlier is it makes that generation of children WAY to dependent on their parents.

For my personal experience, I received a motorola bag phone when I was 15. I HAD to keep it in the car at all times (you couldn't carry it anywhere). Then, when I was about 16 I got a cell phone. It was the right age because I was driving and was allow to have people in the car with me at this point. Anything under driving age is pointless to have a cell phone.

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

Cell phones are a good idea for children because it gives the parents the ability to reach their kids at all times.

Vitamins
Vitamins
141 posts
Nomad

I think somewhere between 13 and 18 is a good age to get a cellphone.

Showing 1-15 of 44