ForumsWEPRThe USA: a real republic?

26 6468
Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

Firstly, I wanted to explain why I created this topic. I'm not living in the States and I'm not an American citizen. However, I had a lecture about the electoral process in the USA and I wanted to know what you Americans think about you're country's electoral process.
Please set all patriotic answers aside and say whay you really think

My first question is Do you think the USA election process for Presidential elections is effective? Indeed, the American electoral process does not rely on direct elections but the citizens elect a College of delegates which in turn elects the President. This actually means that it is possible for a candidate to receive a plurality of the popular vote and yet lose the election!

• 26 Replies
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

"This actually means that it is possible for a candidate to receive a plurality of the popular vote and yet lose the election!"

Three presidents won that way.
Bush being one of them...

Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

Exactly.
So I wondered if direct elections wouldn't be preferable: they work just fine in all European democracies and republics.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Problem with direct elections is that there is too much of sectionalism type of thing and too much idiots having no idea what there voting for.

Even if it turns out to be 99% to 1%...
That doesn't mean that 1% is a worse decision. That 1% can obtain better information then the rest.

But the thing is...if you let the people elect the president, if they turn out to be a bad one then they blame themsleves not the government.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

I think that the election process is fine, just that the American people need to be educated about the candidates. Women vote for Hillary because she is a woman, black people might vote for Obama because he is black. They need to focus on things that matter, such as the economy and Iraq, instead of gender and skin color, or some other thing, such as Obama being young and "hip".

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Lol yea I think like 85% of blacks voted for Obama. I wonder how many didnt vote for him just because he was black. Or for Hillary because she is a women.

Ehh its kind of weird that Hillary ran a histroical campagin and its like nothing to us but when it gets in the books the next generations will probably feel different about it.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I honestly don't understand politics, most people in this country don't understand politics... and it does not matter who you vote for because no president can keep their promises. They make contradicting points. People in this country are so ignorant and quick to side with one person or another.

If we had someone who was realistic running for president then they would lose because they would tell us exactly what they can and can't do for the country. Eveyone wants to vote for the person who promises everything they can... no matter how much one thing may contradict another. Sort of like saying "Ok, we will pute more money into our schools and the state AND decrease taxes." You can't use tax money and decrease taxes. People refuse to accept that to get somewere, we may have to pay a little more.

Basicly, nobody realy knows what their vote is worth in this country. Nobody realy knows who to vote for because you know that the new president will be forced to break some of their promises. Its a mess in my opinion.

As for everybody whos running for president... they might as well have given everybody in the country a pistol and a bullet, much easier way to go ut. = /

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

Well I'm surprised that so many people voted for her after Bill's wonderful presidency.
If she had made it, I wonder if they would have had to call Bill Clinton the first lady...

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I am back and forth on this. I, myself, would rather directly vote for a president and have MY vote counted. I feel that I am educated enough on the candidates to make good vote.

On the other hand, PEOPLE are stupid. A person is smart. We have to work with what we have. We are going to have PEOPLE vote for someone just because they are black or a woman, yes. So, I think the question I would like to pose is how is this remedied? At least with the college of delegates there is some control over these "worthless" votes.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

(Sorry about the double post.)

As for everybody whos running for president... they might as well have given everybody in the country a pistol and a bullet, much easier way to go ut. = /

I kind of agree. We have Hillary, Mccain, and Obama. But I am tired of every one who says that they all suck. If I had my way, and if I was old enough to vote, Mitt Romney would be president.
kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

I feel that I am educated enough on the candidates to make good vote.
Sadly, compared to a few drunk adults in my neighborhood, I am educated enough to make a good vote.

People need to watch the news more and watch the speeches made by the candidates. They also need to realize that the candidates cannot keep all their promises. There are some people that believe every word a candidate says.

The main problem is that a lot of people don't think about who they are going to vote for until 10 minutes before they actually vote.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I think all of our candidates suck...

Id go for Obama though, Mccain looks evil

kris1027
kris1027
506 posts
Nomad

Do you think the USA election process for Presidential elections is effective?

My state has four electoral votes so my vote and the votes of the little states don't matter. The American electoral process seems to actively work against the actual voter. When the majority of people in a country can't get heard then I think there is a problem. So the answer to your question is no.
tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

i don't vote because
1-i know my vote doesn't matter (electoral college votes do).
2-i don't follow politics so no vote is better than an ignorant one.
3-i just don't care who is president until it directly affects me personally

purpledinosaur
purpledinosaur
679 posts
Peasant

It is pretty crappy because the people really technically do not have a choice the electors do they make a pledge and they can lie about it

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Its kinda sad how most people probably think its a popular vote.

Showing 1-15 of 26