ForumsProgramming ForumBasic & CSharp

10 4226
DaPhoenix
DaPhoenix
7 posts
Nomad

Hey I'm new here, this is my first post actually.
I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with creating games in Basic and/or CSharp. I've made several programs with both languages from calculators to bigger programs like a tekst based role playing game. But now I want to do something with graphics. I have to learn Basic and CSharp for my next school, so i'm already learning the syntax. On my previous school I've learned the basics of scripting in Action script 2, but most of the time we learned designing in Photoshop CS1. Now I would like to combine everything I've learned for a game.
But I notice that I fail at colisions etc.

So my questions are, does anyone of you have any experience with CSharp and or Basic? And if so, could you explain me a little about physics and colisions? Where do I have to start if I want to make a game in one of these languages? Any help would be appreciated.

Thnx,
DaPhoenix.

• 10 Replies
Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

I have a book for programming using Basic and I was wondering about that too, though I never realy got far in learning from the book.

DaPhoenix
DaPhoenix
7 posts
Nomad

I made some nice program's in Basic, and it's very easy, I can help you a bit if you like. But just the basics . I started with a calculator btw, It's very easy but great for learning how to use variables. I don't know how far you are already, but if you can use any help, your welcome. .

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

Well, I know of a really good programming language called BlitzBasic. It's the first one I learned, very similar to BASIC but a bit more versatile.

Also, it contains the two functions ImagesOverlap() and ImagesCollide(), both good for collision detection.

Youy can find a demo version and real version here:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Products/_index_.php

Also, there's a good book "Game Programming for Teens" by Maneesh Sethi that started me programming. It comes with a demo for blitzbasic. Any, you might want to look into it.

Right now I'm working on a physics engine with blitzbasic. So, yeah.

Let me know if this helps!

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

Holy smokes programpro thats exactly what I have, though i got bored of it after awhile I might go back to that book.

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

Really? Wow! Yah, the book I think is really good for beginners and experts. I made a top-down view game in which you are a guy who goes around killing skeletons with a sword and magic. Also there is a giant kraken thing final boss. It still has some bugs, but still It shows how much can be done with that language.

I bought the $60 BlitzPlus, and it's pretty good except a glitch makes it so the Locate function doesn't work.

Sorry I'm just bla-bla-bla-ing here but yah blitz is really great!

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

LOL yeah it is pretty great and easy to learn I guess, I'll have to get back to it sometime and make something.

Qwerty001
Qwerty001
422 posts
Nomad

You shouldn't worry Basic is pretty easy as long as you understand simple cmd and/or batch file commands...
But does it still work on Windows? I just checked for gwbasic and basic in my comp but it didn't find anything... hmm

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

VB.Net is my mother tounge. I have made several large to medium sized applications in VB, so I am very familiar with the syntax, however, because VB is more focused on components and UI, it's not very suited for game programming.

One example is, I often use a lot of try catch statements and use a lot of extra code to make sure that it is completely bug free, no matter what the user may do. The user will not mind if it takes 0.5 seconds to run a function.

However, when working with Flash and game programming, if it takes 0.5 seconds per frame, and your game is 25 frames per second, you are in big trouble. (Actually, I am working a way around that)

I hate AS in many other ways, however, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." I guess I'll have to live with AS's flaws just to be able to work in Flash.

Flash is more made for game programming, and (I forgot exactly what percent) most browsers have Flash, so you reach a wider audience. So now I'm using flash for non-Windows development.

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

I know a guy who made a Star Wars space game in basic with all text graphics, tut you've really got to be out of your mind if you want to make serious games with it. I'd recommend learning an OOP language as they offer things such as inheritance and polymorphism that make game development a whole lot easier. C++ is the more popular language, but c# also offers the benefits of the OO paradigm.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

yeah C++ is quite a commonly used language as well,and I have started studying it,but I can't help you with Basic or sharp as I have never even looked at the programs.

Showing 1-10 of 10