ForumsWEPRWhat is Art?

18 4461
Strat
Strat
107 posts
Nomad

For just a moment, I think it would be nice if we could take a break from the futile 'debates' raging within the more frustrating topics to think about art once again. This time I want to ask the much broader question of what is it that makes something art. And furthermore, what is it that distinguishes good art from bad art?

These are deep, and difficult questions often sidestepped by a lazy sort of relativism. Today, a lot of people believe that art is what ever an artist happens to create. In addition to begging the question, this approach falls prey to a lapse in logic, since certainly the baker bakes cakes, but cakes are not what ever the baker bakes. We would be hardly be convinced by the baker's insistence that he has baked us is a cake if what he presents us with is a muffin or a baked rodent..or something not edible at all. We know what these things are without needing to be told by someone with the appropriate credentials. Sometimes an artist creates something that some critics might reject as art, and usually they give their reasons. Can you think of anything a self-styled artist might create as "art" that you might have difficulty accepting as art? Why or why not?

Usually we are able to recognize supposed works of art as art without knowing anything about an artist, or even being told that that person who created it is a artist. But it's the exceptions that makes things interesting to think about and may shed some light on the investigation. Arthur Danto asks us to consider the example of indiscernables - objects that are visually indistinguishable from one another, yet one is art and one is not. This is more plausible if we think about the avant-garde sort of modern art, than anything else. Already, certain assumptions about what art underpin this hypothetical situation, which people can take issue with, but it may be worthwhile to temporarily accept them for the sake of argument. Precisely what art is then becomes less about the intrinsic properties of the artwork and more about what it is "about".

I believe that art is a contextual entity in that it is exists as a medium of expression from artist to viewer. Although art doesn't have to be placed in an art gallery as a prerequisite to become art, this can set the proper context for the art to be regarded as art. While a twisted hunk of metal found in the trash is meaningless, an identical-looking piece of metal meticulously crafted by the artist could be about the torments of the industrial age. Of course the artist could attempt to express this idea through words, but art has certain elements or attributes which make it ideal for expressing certain kinds of ideas, such as those that words cannot do proper justice to, or those that must be more viscerally experienced to be adequately understood. One such element of art that I think is particularly important and certainly cannot be reduced to words is style. An artist's style imprints itself onto his work much like a signature, but one that tells us something about the artist's subjective impression of an idea that will be different from another person's impression of that same idea. In this way, the form of expression is one that is exclusively their own, and viewers of art may more compelled or inspired by one 'take' than another. I dare say that the work of art that is more convincing at portraying the lonely isolation of a soul caught amid the endless expanses of the ocean is better than another work of art that aims to do the same but where the viewer is only able take home the message that the color of the ocean matches the sky and it looks as if someone is going on a journey by sea.

• 18 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Why is your girlfriends hair not considered a chair? Because you think of it a persons head. You are thought that a chair is something with four legs and that thingy you seat on.

As humans we categorize things, it's just something we're obsessed with. The things you are taught as a child, like objects, are just names that you associate with already existing and established definitions. But even children when being taught objects are already categorizing in their own ways, but higher cognitive function and higher order thinking skills allow us to categorize in more complex and more reasonable ways. The question is why do you think of a head not as a chair? It's because of its primary function - that it is not something on which a person normally sits.
I don't think we are taught definitions of things as children, your parents just point at things or use things in conversation and expect you to be able to pick it up as you go (I'm talking about early language development, not learning more complex language to express ideas).
We are constantly being introduced to new mediums and techniques of art and yet we still call them art, even though we weren't taught that those specific things are "art." And while I agree that a pile of poo just laying in the backyard might not be art, that doesn't mean that it can't be used as a medium to create art. I think it rests in the function of the object, which is how we categorize.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Hmm...
Thats quite interesting actually.

I'll have to think about it and see what I can come up with.

If we grew up in a society was poo was used for art all the time, then yes you'd even argue that poo is art against someone who doesn't agree.

This statement actually goes with your theory.
drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

No. When I mean you, I mean the artist. If you just give up when someone says, "Hey buddy, your art sucks!". We wouldn't have some artists like..... pitch out artists name people. I got nothing.

Showing 16-18 of 18