ForumsWEPROne Man's theory, Another Man's 3.

17 3403
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Theres actually more I cant think of. *Wishes there was a edit button*

David Humes Theory

The power of his thought stems from a remarkably compact and incisive analysis of the human mind. Hume asks the reader to reflect on the contents of your own mind. You will find there many types of mental activity that you can group in various ways: perceptions, feelings, ideas, beliefs, emotions, expectations, doubts, and so on. Hume argued that all of these -- indeed everything that can be contained in the mind -- are reducible to two types of perceptions (any content of the mind of which we are conscious). These are impressions and ideas.

An impression is a perception which involves actual sensation, such as seeing, feeling, tasting. hearing.

An idea is a mental perception which arises by thinking of something, rather than by experiencing it.

He said that ideas comes from impressions, or by mental perceptions by combining simpler ideas and forming more complex ones.

Now I take this theory and came up with 5 of my own.

1. Life experience affects just about everything.

You are not born born with a personality or just about anything else that takes place in the mind you can think of, such as stupidity, but rather comes through life experience.

Humor is a great example. Practice makes perfect. In anything you do...
The more ideas you have, the easier it should be to form new ones.
You are only funny because you practice it. I don't mean you talk to yourself but whenever your out hanging out with friends and making jokes up. So once you make up a joke, that idea stays in your head. The next time it will be easier to combine ideas.

This also explains why people have different personalities. People continuously use the ideas already in their head to form new ones. Those ideas formed are still quite similar. Thats what personality is.
Also explains the style of humor.

Now see I came up with these theories of my own because I had David theory always on my mind, so I formed ideas from that.

More you consume, smarter/funnier/cooler you will be.

___

Yes, I even believe we are not born stupid. I make my point without scientific data. But understand I'm using logic. Math is used define logical things. For example, 1=1 represents one is equal of the same object is the same as the other. Now you are either wrong or right in this type of thing. 1 either = to 1 or 1 does not equal to one..

I believe we are born of the same brains, except for those with illnesses, and through living, minds can become corrupted. We must help each other to prevent these things.

This is a strong thing I do not want to let go of. Gives me dreams of a beautiful society.

3. There is many things we cannot think of.

We have not seen many many things, we have not have had every idea in our head, we have not lived long enough to take our perspectives to the millionth level, therefore we have no idea of many things.

We ask how can God just poof things? How you ever looked outside of this universe?

There can be the most obvious things around us that can solve many of our problems but we just can't think of them.

4. No free will

I just thought of this today. We have no free will. I remember it was argued on Gods plan because it eliminated free will. Well we don't have free will in the first place. Scary thought huh?

Well lets start from your birth and take your imaginary free will all the way up.

Ok you are born. You don't control where your born, or what happens when you are being born. You may be born with deficiencies or not.

Gets MUCH scarier

BOO!

Ok EVEN scarier.
If 1 is true might not want to read the rest.

So life experience controls many things. Even your thoughts. Ok your 5 now, happy birthday! Experience you had before will control you.
If you have abusive parents, your not going to turn out so good and I predict if you could copy that EXACT life experience, someone will turn out EXACTLY the same.

And it would have to be exactly, because the littlest things can change your life through a chain reaction.

Now how do I say that past experiences control you?
Because past experiences will have an affect on you.
If I was a super uber expert, by looking at what you post to this, I could tell your whole life experience.

So what you think while reading this depends on your life experience. What you are thinking right now is destined to happen, because you went through those life experiences. Your brain is gonna create thought on the past experiences you had. This seems to be a rough way to put it, but it seems so pure in my mind. If you had all the ideas in my head, you would think the same way.
The joy of living is getting to feel the experiences.

Now this isn't meant to change anyones life but I find it interesting.

And actually, I'm sure #1 is correct, but 3 needs some work.

Still wishes there was a edit button.
  • 17 Replies
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

*Demonstrated why an edit option would be nice*

This is great support for Leibnez's statement that the world is perfect as it could be and I can also tie this to people not being born greedy >_>

And yes Total... you were saying why should we care about those kids who choose to not care of education. READ ABOVE ^^

We would need a society with no problems to create happiness for everyone and through happy experiences will people then be all smart.
Oh and this is how this is support for the &quoterfect world" theory.
Still developing on it.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I find your theories interesting in substance, although they're a bit scattered so I'm finding them a little hard to follow. But please don't take offense to that, I think it's fantastic that you're developing these ideas and I'm assuming you want feedback since you've posted here

This is certainly an interesting application of Hume, who was more referring to the impressions and ideas of material objects more so than a general sort of "thought." I do want to analyze what I feel are some of your more "key" points, however.

You are not born born with a personality or just about anything else that takes place in the mind you can think of, such as stupidity, but rather comes through life experience.

The phrase "that takes place in the mind" is a bit confusing to me here. Certainly all ideas and impressions are cognized in the mind, as well as responses and actions that would be classified as &quotersonality" right? Doesn't your biological and genetic makeup help determine what type of personality you would have? Maybe not specifics, but an overall personality type?

We have not seen many many things, we have not have had every idea in our head, we have not lived long enough to take our perspectives to the millionth level, therefore we have no idea of many things.

By an idea, I assume you are still using Hume's definition of an idea, but we can certainly form ideas without the requisite perceptions. So are these things that we can't get ideas of something independent of our existence, or just things we'll never encounter so that we'll never actually think about thinking about them? Also, what are the implications of this?

I just thought of this today. We have no free will. I remember it was argued on Gods plan because it eliminated free will. Well we don't have free will in the first place. Scary thought huh?

This is absolutely Leibniz here, but there are some standard objections I'd like you to consider. 1 - if there's no free will, should we still punish criminals since they didn't have a choice in the matter? 2 - True determinism would mean that I'm either destined to accept your ideas or I'm not, but you arguing for them isn't going to change that, so why argue for this idea at all?

This is great support for Leibnez's statement that the world is perfect as it could be and I can also tie this to people not being born greedy >_>

Now, there is a big difference between this world being perfect and Leibniz's proposal that this is the Best of All Possible Worlds. I don't think that this being TBOAPW logically implies people not being born greedy. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I don't mean to try to jump all over you, these are just point for consideration as you develop your thoughts and I hope you continue to explore these avenues
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Doesn't your biological and genetic makeup help determine what type of personality you would have? Maybe not specifics, but an overall personality type?

No. I don't see how genetics can determine such a thing. You can be a lot different from your parents.

"So are these things that we can't get ideas of something independent of our existence, or just things we'll never encounter so that we'll never actually think about thinking about them? "

Pretty much.

if there's no free will, should we still punish criminals since they didn't have a choice in the matter?

Ehh gotta go, I'll answer later.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

The phrase "that takes place in the mind" is a bit confusing to me here.

You can just go head and ignore that part.

"Doesn't your biological and genetic makeup help determine what type of personality you would have? Maybe not specifics, but an overall personality type?"

I don't think so at all. Do you have any reasons as why it would? Genetics just shape your physical components. What takes place in the brain is complex and a complete mystery :-$

And some thing that go in on in the brain are triggered by chemicals so that can be applied as physical.

if there's no free will, should we still punish criminals since they didn't have a choice in the matter?

Yes they should still be punished. I tried to make it clear that there is no meaning in life and mortality does not exist. "The joy of living is getting to feel the experiences" was suppose to be sarcastic >_> So we might as well just kill ourselves and get over it, but thats not what were aiming for. We go for survival. And since humans survive fairly well, you can consider happiness a luxury, and thats what were going for. Leaving criminals on the streets causes problems. We should have a society where we can eliminate criminals in the first place or very greatly reduce them.

Oh and yes, even if my "No free will" is argued upon, point #1 is pretty strong. You can conclude from it that if we are able to change the lives of citizens, people will be different. I also use this as an argument for "We are born greedy"

2 - True determinism would mean that I'm either destined to accept your ideas or I'm not, but you arguing for them isn't going to change that, so why argue for this idea at all?

I'm sorry I didn't quite understand that.

Now, there is a big difference between this world being perfect and Leibniz's proposal that this is the Best of All Possible Worlds. I don't think that this being TBOAPW logically implies people not being born greedy. Does that make sense?

"that the world is perfect as it could be" What I meant :P

"I don't think that this being TBOAPW logically implies people not being born greedy"

Yea that was suppose to be a separate point from TBOAPW.

Like I said, I gotta develop on those. I went into the bathroom and had the idea that I could connect this to TBOAPW, but lost my thought. Trying to find it again
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

So are these things that we can't get ideas of something independent of our existence, or just things we'll never encounter so that we'll never actually think about thinking about them? Also, what are the implications of this?

Yes, I'm talking about things that we will never encounter. And even so, no one thought of the theory of evolution until someone looked for it. So I believe there are many other possibilities of our creations, we just can't think of them.

Trying to think of an analogy or maybe just a better example to explain this.
chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

What takes place in the brain is comp[quote]lex and a complete mystery :-$

Yes, but hormones are not. Some people may have more of a certain hormone that causes a certain behavior. Also, Your genes do decide what you look like. Your life would be different if you were ugly (or not.) It would influence your decisions, view of yourself, and other people who interact and influence you.

Ok you are born. You don't control where your born, or what happens when you are being born. You may be born with deficiencies or not.

True, but you still have the ability to make decisions. I can decide how to spend my free time. It will be limited to the things I like, but it will be different whether I spend my time fencing or playing the piano.

1. Life experience affects just about everything.

True

3. There is many things we cannot think of.

First of all, the proper verb for that sentence is "are." (lol) It is true that there are many things that we have not thought of, but by combining ideas and impressions into more ideas, then combining those ideas with each other, other ideas and impressions we can reach an infinite number of solutions.

2 - True determinism would mean that I'm either destined to accept your ideas or I'm not, but you arguing for them isn't going to change that, so why argue for this idea at all?

No, it is not. If you did not agree with me and after arguing I was able to change your mind, then it was determined that if I argued you would change your mind, and that I was indeed going to argue.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

True, but you still have the ability to make decisions. I can decide how to spend my free time. It will be limited to the things I like, but it will be different whether I spend my time fencing or playing the piano.

The decision you make is completely based on past experiences.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

And yes genes can change your life, but that just makes you a bigger "slave".

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

The decision you make is completely based on past experiences.

Is the decision on whether to play video games first or read first (one that is completely random) based on past experience?

And yes genes can change your life, but that just makes you a bigger "slave".

Great reply!
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Is the decision on whether to play video games first or read first (one that is completely random) based on past experience?

Yes. You do everything for a reason. Reasons you received from past experience.

I just watched "The Dark Knight" just now. Great movie. There was part where it talks about how everything is chance. It goes great with this.
Only things that happen randomly are things of chance.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Actually, life experiences have SOME control over what you become, but look around you, there are people doing great things when their life experiences were told to turn them the opposite direction.
For example, look at Stephen Hawking. One of the greatest minds on the planet today, but he is crippled, he can't talk, and he is stuck in a wheel chair. The odds are that he had a terrible mind, but contradictory to that, he is amazing. About th "Free" thing, the fetus actually choses when it is ready to come out, but it is done subliminally. There are a lot of things you can't control, but your destiny is one of them. You can control what you are going to be. No one told me that I have to post forums right now, but I am. You can choose a lot of things, who your friends are, who your enemies are. What type of music you listen to. We have free will today. Our minds are not affected by those around us. Our mind is our realm, our shrine to ourselves.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

False.

but look around you, there are people doing great things when their life experiences were told to turn them the opposite direction.

Negatives can make a positive if multiplied or they will add up if added or subtracted.
Different types of life experience choose whether to add or multiply.

For example, look at Stephen Hawking.

Him being crippled doesn't mean in any way that he would turn out bad but guess what, its made him unsocial. Him being crippled is actually why is so intelligent. Instead of going out and acting retarded with his friends, he stayed home and read and read and thought and thought.

About th "Free" thing, the fetus actually choses when it is ready to come out

The fetus isn't you is it.

You can control what you are going to be.

Life experience controls what you think you want to be, and whether you will try and want to get there.

No one told me that I have to post forums right now, but I am.

Would you be posting here if you never heard of ArmorGames?

You can choose a lot of things, who your friends are, who your enemies are.

You choose based on what you think is the best choice, life experience determines that.

Our minds are not affected by those around us.

Hah, look at the kids living in the US and one living in a villages.
Or better yet, the ones living today compared to ones who lived thousand years ago.

Its all affected by whats around us.
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Negatives can make a positive if multiplied or they will add up if added or subtracted.

That doesn't apply here, because people that live in bad environments, will not get better if he stays in that environment for a long time.

Actually, fetuses don't necessarily "choose," when it comes out. It comes out at around 9 months. When it's ready, it will just come on out, not because of choice. How come babies don't come out at 2 weeks? I bet there would be one baby that would choose to do that (If there is a choice)

You can control who you are you going to be, in most instances. You can work towards a certain job, and that job really sets you up. If you work to be a business man, then you can get that job ONLY if you work hard for it. That is choosing who you're going to be, but personality wise, may be different. If you grow up in the slums, then chances are, you are going to grow up with a bad attitude towards everyone, etc.

You can choose a lot of things, who your friends are, who your enemies are.

You choose based on what you think is the best choice, life experience determines that.

Drace is correct in saying that. Going back to my previous point. Now people growing up in the slums will make friends with those people, but will see nice, or helpful people as enemies.

Drace is correct in that last part as well, EXCEPT that last sentence. Not EVERYTHING is affected by what's around us. Not ALL people that live in the bad part of town, end up like most of those people.
chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

If I play the card game War with someone, and I lose, is that life experience that caused me to lose?

You can control who you are you going to be, in most instances. You can work towards a certain job, and that job really sets you up. If you work to be a business man, then you can get that job ONLY if you work hard for it.

No, because your life experiences will cause you to be oriented towards a certain job.

This is corny. Also, the word choose is in there. Of course a negative can be turned positive. If someone is abused as a child, there is a chance that they will be a very tough adult. ]

I think that life experience narrows down options and you decide. Sometimes it marrows them to "take it or leave it." Sometimes there are countless options available.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Everything you do for a reason.

Your choice depends on your life experience. I will choose Panda Express over In n Out because I like it better.
I will choose to be an Engineer because as I kid I liked to break things and put them back together.

Your mind, or whatever is it, is just the witness of the events taking place in your life, but you are not the brain.

Showing 1-15 of 17