ForumsThe TavernUrban Legends

118 17303
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'm always learning about some crazy urban legens and things, so I decided I'd bring a few of my favorites here to AG, for you gusy to look at. I'll explain the legend, and tell you whether or not it's true. I'm only going to put in a few here, but if people like them , I'll post some more.

Coca Cola translated in Chinese means "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!"
Not Quite True
When Coca Cola hit China, they needed to find some Chinese characters that would be pronounced as "ko-ka-ko-la" While the company was searching for a good translation, Chinese shopowners just put together strings of words that sounded like Coca Cola, with no regard as to what they ment. A few were "Female Horse, fastened with wax", "Wax Flattened Mare" and of course, "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!!" The Coca Cola company finally settled on "to allow the mouth to be able to rejoice." translation.

The Camel Spider
Real animal, inaccurate facts
The Camel Spider is a real insect that lives in Iraq, but theres a few exxagerations told about them. Hers a few of the untrue tales.

-Camel Spiders can be as large as dinner plates.
-They can jump several feet in the air.
-They have venom that numbs their victims flesh, allowing them to chew on them as they sleep. (Theres quite a few faux tales of soldiers waking up to find they're missing chunks of meat.)
-Camel Spiders can run on the desert sands 25 MPH, screaming the whole time.
-They latch onto camel's stomachs and lay eggs in them (That's where the name comes from.)
All these tall tales make them sound pretty ferocious, but in truth, Camel Spiers only get a leg-span of about 5 to 6 inches, they can only run 10 MPH, theyre silent, and they have no venom. However, they only use the back three sets of legs for running, the front pair are held up in the air.

Hope you enjoyed these, I'll post more later if you did.

• 118 Replies
Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Not bad, can't wait to see what you put next. I always like adding to my knowledge of random facts.

soccer_mylife
soccer_mylife
388 posts
Nomad

Intresting random facts i love to increase my knoledge of random things

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Eh, soccer, that's eerily close to what Timegoesby said, it might be considered spam. And as for more, I'm gonna see if anyone has heard of an urban legend that I can look up and give them an answer to.

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

i think those are good entertainment when u hear tem at first and there is a show called urban legends (not sure if name) on discovery

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Really? I'll have to look into that. I mostly find these on Google and stuff.

Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

LOVE them! Post more!!

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

check it out it is usually on around 1 o clock or 12 but i forgot wat day so check from 12-4 to see it

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Well, I'll have a look on discover.com or something for showtimes, it's got to be there. Thanks again for letting me now, sounds like an awesome show. And if all else fails, it's YouTube time.

notaguitarhero
notaguitarhero
337 posts
Nomad

they can only run 10 MPH

ONLY?

Jesus.
I hate spiders.
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Well, I suppose that ten miles an hour is a mile in ten minutes, but they definitely can't keep that speed up for an hour straight, and the fastest human sprint time was locked in at something like 28 miles per hour, last I heard.

notaguitarhero
notaguitarhero
337 posts
Nomad

Oh it's takes me like six minutes to run a mile.
Still.
Thing probably freak me out so much I'd freeze.
Then take mah boot to it's face. :|

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one!

There was a man, his name was bob, who had to work late. When he was driving home, it was dark out. He spotted a man driving with his headlight off. Bob flashed his high- beams at the guy to tell him to turn his lights on. Unbeknownst to Bob, the guy without headlights made a U- turn and began to follow Bob. Bob saw the man in his rear-view mirror, and became increasingly worried. The guy without headlights sped up to catch Bob, but Bob made a sharp turn, losing the man, or so the thought. Finally home, Bob turns off his car, and he sees the same car pull up who gave chase earlier. The man pulled right up to bob, stuck a gun out his window, and shot bob, dead. This was a gang initiation.

Not true, there has never been a reported case of this happening so far, but it defnately could happen.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Yeah, I'd geuss the initial shock of it chargin you would probably stop you still.
http://www.camelspiders.net/large-camel-spider.jpg
That's a picture of a pair of camel spiders. They look positively massive, but compare them to the man's sleeve in the upper right corner. All of a sudden they don't seem that big.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

That's a pretty odd tale. But since no one else is suggesting, I'll go get a few more to add to the list. Be Right Back.

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

wow those spiders are still pretty big and I would hate to see one in my house. Are tarantulas bigger than that though?

Showing 1-15 of 118