ForumsSupport ForumComments- "Responding to" Plan!

64 8727
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

So this might seem complicated, probably because it is.. but it could be done in the long run, for when ArmorGames makes another major update let's say. When I am surfing my comments I tend to find a bunch that are just a sentence or something I completely find out of context and I am confused. This is mainly because I do not remember what I said to who to evoke such a response! Now I would find it quite nice, if someone is replying to a comment and not just leaving one out of the blue that on my comments it would say "So and So Responding to this message"

Example:

I leave a message on Plokkey's Comments: "Hey Plokkey, I don't know about you but I am so tired lately, do you rather orange juice or apple juice?"

Plokkey looks at his messages and goes oh hey klaus I love that guy. And clicks a special button on my comment to him called Reply or whatever. He says: "Hey klaus, me too! And I quite rather the latter**!"

**If you don't get it, latter means the second choice pretty much

*Normally I would look at my comments and say "wtf?" cause I don't know what he is talking about, I would have to search his comments and find mine to see what he is talking about. BUT WITH MY IDEA it would play out like this:*

I go to my comments, and see 'Plokkey responding to "Hey Plokkey, I don't know about you but I am so tired lately, do you rather orange juice or apple juice?"" then his message. Things would make sense.

But this is complicated and would need more fleshing out. Like the whole Responding to, if it would use the entire message or just a part of it if it's too short, or maybe you can have something like it shows the first 10 words and a "..." and if you click more, it would maximize and show you're entire comment or something like that. Anyways hope everyone gets me. What do you guys think.

• 64 Replies
Drognar
Drognar
535 posts
Nomad

Awesome suggestion, this would be great!

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Yeah a great idea, or maybe they click respond and then bellow there is a link to the original post.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

But then you'd have to start getting into loading new pages and stuff. That would become annoying!

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

good idea, but would make it kind of messy.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I like it, but why not make it like email, or a thread or something like that, separate from comments altogether.

Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

Great Idea!! Nice job

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Alright I made some pictures for you guys.

This one is with the respond box minimized(default)
img516.imageshack.us/img516/7872/respondingto1bt5.png

This is with the respond box opens, after you press More...

img213.imageshack.us/img213/1699/respondingto2ol7.png

I am about to attempt to put them here but the links are in case.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7872/respondingto1bt5.png

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1699/respondingto2ol7.png

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

That really isn't a bad idea, but it would need some refining. How would the system know where to place the response? For example, in the community and I responding to your comment, Klaushouse. Would it respond in the topic or to your profile? Good idea though. I really like it.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Ninja if you are talking about the forums this is nothing for the forums this is more towards comments only. If someone leaves me a comment and I click reply to comment and leave one on their comment page. This would not have anything to do on the forums and posting topics and such! IF that's what you mean, if not then rephrase your question! Please :P

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Yeah, uh, what did Ninja say? I couldn't make heads or tails of that post.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

Once again, Klaushouse does it with another BRILLIANT idea and another BRILLIANT picture of the idea.

I think this would be great, although I probably wouldn't need it as much, but users that chat alot would.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Well I tend to right a reply to everyone I talk to and get replies like a half hour later and I am just like "what? this makes NO SENSE?"

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Yeah, I get that alot, sometimes people don't reply till like a week later or something like that, and I have no idea what they're saying.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Exactly. I don't think this would clutter up comments too as it would be minimized and only brought up if needed. Not all comments will have this either. Only the ones that were made by pressing the reply button on an existing comment.

Jikek
Jikek
1,187 posts
Nomad

or how about a whole commenting system in general? but if that wouldnt work, then this would work great!
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn222/sandadesigns/mahta.png
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1724/jikekcopyve3.pngJoin the Sig Strikers!

Showing 1-15 of 64