ForumsThe TavernConversation Starters

12 2404
madgamer131
madgamer131
671 posts
Nomad

Idk if this topic exists, but i couldnt find it so i'm starting it anyway.

in a few weeks my friend is inviting me to his beach house. his girlfriend has a friend the same age and my friends gonna try to get us together. i feel confident, but i just need some good, really practical conversation starters. awkward silences seem to follow me around.

• 12 Replies
ManUtd4life096
ManUtd4life096
1,359 posts
Farmer

How about: "Do you know why they call me hot? Because I am." Or "Do you know why they say I'm awesome? Because I am." Or "I have a cat named Bobby. I like to throw rocks at it. It screeches when it gets hit."

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Ahh, ManUtd, he might think you're serious. I dunno what you should do though, just act cool and dont be all stiff.

ManUtd4life096
ManUtd4life096
1,359 posts
Farmer

Well, that's because I am serious! =p Just kidding. I mostly agree with Florg though.

johnny_p
johnny_p
69 posts
Nomad

Hey! Welcome to the 21st century. You don't really have to start conversation. It's best if SHE starts. Just let her know that you're interested.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Well, just standing around will not work, sorry johnny. She'll think you're scared and crap, not a turn on. Just don't seem nervous, and don't talk about retarded shit, like a pet fish or something like that. Do you dirtbike, or ride a quad or something? Chicks dig that.

ManUtd4life096
ManUtd4life096
1,359 posts
Farmer

Florglee! How could you! I doubt he wants chickens to peck at him! Horrible!

johnny_p
johnny_p
69 posts
Nomad

Obviously you didn't seen me in action.
I didn't say nothing about standing around and looking like scared . You just have to understand that you can say most with your gestures.
Maybe you're right Florglee. Sometimes you have to say something to begin coversation. But it's not about that. SHE has to talk with you, not you with her.

madgamer131
madgamer131
671 posts
Nomad

ooookay then. manutd, shut up ur no help @ all. as 4 the rest of u, im not looking for girl advice, just normal conversasion starters that could be used in any situation. and johnny, trust me, waiting for them to talk to you DOES NOT WORK. why do u think i said awkward silences follow me around

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Well, heres the deal. Avoid akward silence as much as possible. Wait for her to talk, but if she doesn't you gotta say sumthin. As a conversation starter, don't use the weather. Try to talk about sports you do, 'cause then you sound cool. Unless you play like hopscotch or sumcrap like that. If you don't got any sports, tell her a joke, they like funny guys. Don't tell them a kiddy joke, you'll look like shit in a can. hope I helped.

madgamer131
madgamer131
671 posts
Nomad

well, ya, the firs half of that is pretty much obvious. i guess that helps. but also, i want starters that can be about anything, not just to try to impress her, but to just be able to hold a conversation about anything so its not awkward

Grey
Grey
281 posts
Nomad

"You're sitting in it now."

johnny_p
johnny_p
69 posts
Nomad

Everytime you wanna talk, you can start talking about what's happening around, like: Hi, do you like it here? ...Yeah, the beach is nice... We went swimming and...
Then you can ask something more personal: What do you do for school?

I think that looking for something like "conversation starters" is wrong from the beginning. You have to be yourself and natural and so on... Because there's always one rule: You have to think it up on the place. People will appreciate that.
That's for start. In time you'll see that with swift mind and tongue you can say everything. You only have to use the right tone and words.

Showing 1-12 of 12