ForumsThe TavernWhy are USA citizens called Americans...

59 7832
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

America is a continent not a country.

Technically anyone living in North or South America should be called an American.

USA citizens should be called...USAians =D

• 59 Replies
flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

America is a continent not a country.

Wrong. America is a country and North and South America are continents.

Technically anyone living in North or South America should be called an American.

Nope and Nope.

USA citizens should be called...USAians =D

Not on your life
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

I'm not really seeing where this is going... I'll toss it to the tavern and see if it develops into a good conversation ^.^

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

The country is called the United States of America.
As in they are the united states who are in the continent America...

America was reffered to as the Americas. And yes, it is a continent.

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

The reason that the other countries aren't called Americans is that by having names like Mexicans and Canadians it helps them be recognized because they are much smaller in population.

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

America was reffered to as the Americas.

True. But that refers to all of the states that were in America. Example: 1860 "Pa, i'm tired of Canada. I'm moving the Americas. I'll have a happy life living in Kansas."

And yes, it is a continent.

No. America is in North America. North America is a continent. America isn't. =P

As in they are the united states who are in the continent America...

America is not a Continent. Geez, I live in America! I've gone through years of Geography! America is not a Continent.
Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

flappybob999, I have to disagree with you a little, America is the combination of North and South American. If you don't belive me I will put the definition from a dictionary:

a landmass in the western hemisphere that consists of the continents of North and South America joined by the Isthmus of Panama. The continent was originally inhabited by American Indians and Inuits. The northeast coastline of North America was visited by Norse seamen in the 8th or 9th century, but for the modern world the continent was first reached by Christopher Columbus in 1492.
⢠used as a name for the United States.

Rasengan360
Rasengan360
165 posts
Nomad

Its called we're american citizens... >_> In canada, they're called canadians, and mexico, they're called mexicans..... xD

tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

Because historically speaking, we became the dominant nation of the two American continents.

Bob_McBobBob
Bob_McBobBob
248 posts
Nomad

North and south are the Americas not america...

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

Right North and South are the Americas anyone who lives in North or South America has the right to call themselves Americans. Canadians are Americans. Mexicans are Americans.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

We are called Americans because the USA stands for The United States of America if you forgot your 3rd grade history lesson. Also, people in south America are called SOUTH AMERICANS. I'm sorry you don't get to be called an awesome name like that.

razinskie
razinskie
120 posts
Nomad

this is a comment that took little thinking about, Have you ever relized why we call people that live in Europe, Europians

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Eeexcuuse me, I'm Canadian, which is in North America, the continent. The country's called Canada, and we call ourselves Canadians. We're proud of that, and I'd have to say that, under no circumstances will I trade in the name of a Canadian for the name of an American, it's my right to be Canadian. Do you see people calling Russian citizens Asians, because that's the continent they live in? No. Same goes here, America doesn't rule the entire Western part of the World. No personal offense to you guys, but this just won't happen.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

I agree with DM and wonder why we are even discussing this. No one can give the exact explanation on why we are called Americans. I don't see a problem with it because if someone asked a person from Canada what they were and they said American, it would cause great confusion.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Well I'm saying technically . If your from Canada, be proud that your called a Canadian.

But technically, if you live in North or South America, your an American. Just like anyone living in Europe is called a European.

Showing 1-15 of 59