ForumsWEPRPrices going down

21 4879
Gavan
Gavan
12 posts
Nomad

In the place I live, the gas prices are actually going down! Do you think that it is just a simple one-time thing or do you think it could lead to something bigger, like a big drop of prices, enough to make it go back to $1.80!

I think that it could lead to something, but not going back down to $1.80, maybe around $2.45.

• 21 Replies
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Sorry to bust your bubble, but it's all supply and demand. Demand has gone down about 2.2% over the past couple of weeks. Demand tends to go down in the summer as people are more likely to walk to places that are short distances, thus using a little less gas. Once temperatures go back down, prices will jump.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

Well for one thing prices arnt going to go all the way back down to like 2$ a gallon just because one place has gone down a little in price, it has gone down about 10 cents here but nothing major, gas prices are going to drop and rise constantly for quiet a long time if you ask me

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Haha, we will never see the day gas prices go under $3 a gallon unless an alternative fuel is made. Anyways, gas prices are down right now but will pick up once Labor Day comes around.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but it's all supply and demand.

Most of it is price per barrel. Now this can come from supply and demand but usually it is just dirty oil tycoons.
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@TotalReview

Next time you claim oil company owners are dirty, realize that the oil companies make 3% profit on what they sell. So if it's selling for $4 a gallon, they are only getting about 12 cents per gallon in profit. The US government is getting 15%. The British government is getting about 75% profit on oil. Other countries are worse. Next time you blame high prices on the companies, realize it's the government that causes most of the high prices.

Gavan
Gavan
12 posts
Nomad

Haha, we will never see the day gas prices go under $3 a gallon unless an alternative fuel is made.

@TotalReview--
They are actually researching that.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but it's all supply and demand.

@thelistman--
Just like TotalReview said, it is mostly price per barrel, not supply and demand.

Well for one thing prices arnt going to go all the way back down to like 2$ a gallon just because one place has gone down a little in price, it has gone down about 10 cents here but nothing major, gas prices are going to drop and rise constantly for quiet a long time if you ask me

@daswiftarrow--
You never know, be careful what you say because you never know if it will come true.
Midnightday
Midnightday
86 posts
Nomad

I wish people in this country would look into ethanol. Latin America has already made a big switch and I don't hear them complaining.

And maybe if more people could afford the surgery on their cars to switch to vegetable oil gas would definitely go down.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Next time you claim oil company owners are dirty, realize that the oil companies make 3% profit on what they sell. So if it's selling for $4 a gallon, they are only getting about 12 cents per gallon in profit. The US government is getting 15%. The British government is getting about 75% profit on oil. Other countries are worse. Next time you blame high prices on the companies, realize it's the government that causes most of the high prices.

I am not blaming the companies in general. Oil tycoons can change how much oil is per barrel based on how much oil they get. Less oil means higher prices. The government does pay them off and then the oil is brought here and gas prices cost much more. Politics in general are dirty.
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I know the price is determined by the barrel. But how is that determined? Supply and demand.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

I know the price is determined by the barrel. But how is that determined? Supply and demand.

I just thought about it and I think we are debating the same thing. As demand goes up like you said, they have to find more oil. My point is that oil tycoons raise the prices when they don't find enough oil. I think my point is just a more complex way of saying supply and demand.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

They are not going to get down much further...

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

yeah but multiply that by the amount of people and the amount of gallons.. just off me alone they get about $11.. me alone.. $11.. if you take the estimated population of the US and divide it by 4 they are making about $838,891,987.41.. yeah now that 15% is a ton! even if you divide it by 10 you get 30477460.7 people and they would make around $335,556,842.307 roughly.. that is a lot of money.. for poor itty bitty oil company..

(the amount of people was provided by http://www.census.gov/population/www/popclockus.html)

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

thats based on a 20 gallon tank by the way

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

So making a profit is bad now?

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

no.. but when its that much of a profit and people are struggling to make ends meet, its horrible.. drop the prices and lose a little profit and help people out.. not jack them up so you can get another butler to do your menial work for you..

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

yes i realized i used 15% for the oil companies, so with 3% it is about 1.60$ profit off my car and $48,763,937.1 off 30,477,460.7, a tenth of the estimated population of the USA.. 48 MILLION dollars profit.. that is excessive in every way..

(sorry for the two double posts im used to being able to preview my post)

Showing 1-15 of 21