ForumsWEPRShould Pluto be Considered a Planet?

41 8322
bigBLUEbOnG
bigBLUEbOnG
22 posts
Nomad

I personally believe that it should be a planet because it has it's own moon and that it has been orbiting the sun for many years.

• 41 Replies
Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

I agree, its just the fact that it is smaller than the Earths moon that causes people to say it shouldn't be.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I really don't care AT ALL.

Makes no difference changing the definition.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

The name of something means nothing. If Earth were re-named to a Planetoid, and asteroid, a ball, or an uberschnitzel fart, how does that change anything? Other than the word we use to call it?

Mac_MK
Mac_MK
752 posts
Nomad

Its not really gonna change anything

but I don't care really do what ever they like

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

i believe it should stay a planter just for the fact it has been considered one for so long. good thing NASA or who ever is changing the name is spending all this money on some thing so trivial.

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

planter? what the hell is that...i think i meant planet.

masta_cheef
masta_cheef
670 posts
Nomad

uberschnitzel fart
That may be the best two words in English history!
The name of something means nothing
You're right about that as well you could call a planet, a pretzel ultimatum or a radical fudgepacket and:
Stick o' Planet
Earth-9000
2 Dollars and 36 cents
Planet-o-Rama
Banana-Shaped
Able to be carried by 2 African swallows holding it on a line
Earth of a kind!
Planet n' Grill
This Earthen Life
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

For Pluto being a planet, you would have to think of what really defines a planet. I've heard theories that state Pluto being an asteroid in the Kuiper belt and is only orbiting the sun because it also orbits the great mass of the Kuiper belt.

To be honest, I have no absolute and definite thought on this. Very many theories, but not 100% either way.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

I believe it should be a planet, but it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other. The name of someting means nothing, if my name was Miguel I would still be the same person.

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

Well, at least its now one of the only "dwarf planets"...

purpledinosaur
purpledinosaur
679 posts
Peasant

no it is a ball of ice so no of course it should not why I should then consider the moon a planet or an asteroid a planet or maybe a comet

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

OK, first off people don't go spamming up the "what should this be called" posts with "why do we call anything anything?? It doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things! oooh!", because that is not what we are discussing!

Personally, I want it to be a planet because I'm pretty sure a little girl named it when she was in 6th grade as pluto and now it's lost its status, so she's probably sad.

Also, it orbits the sun and has a moon! That's planet enough for me!

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

It may be planet enough for you, but to be a planet, it has to fit each criteria of a planet. Like I said before, it is thought that pluto is just a stray asteroid from the Kuiper belt, blah, blah.

choazmachine
choazmachine
1,044 posts
Nomad

OK.... jeesh we get the point that people don't care... you don't need to post "I dont care" 10 other people have already said it!!!!! If you don't care then don't read it or state your opinion because then I wont care.

Any way for the people who say it should be a planet...

It IS a planet, just a dwarf planet.

For those who say it isn't a planet it ISN"T! It's a goddamn DWARFPLANET get over it....

...This thread is unnecessary...

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

@ Programpro:

But, really, what does it matter if it's "considered a planet"? I'm sure that it has planetary characteristics and all, but in the end, a group of astronomers will gather the collective opinion (of their own) and thus changing the books.

Whatever the case is, Pluto is a "minor planet", a small insignificant little ball of rock up in space.

Showing 1-15 of 41