ForumsWEPRC-c-c-cloning!

43 7750
InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

If anyone cared to notice, my thread title is a reference to Chia pets :P -- which leads me to my next thought: cloning pets for commercial use.

It happened in South Korea. I'm sure most of you have read about it, a company actually produced 5 pitbull clones. The company is willing to do the dirty deed for $150,000 US (presumably).

Now, they've been cloning animals for a while now, and I'm pretty sure there have been topics regarding cloning as well. But, my question to all of you: what do you think the ramifications are when this business of cloning slowly goes up the food chain?

• 43 Replies
tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

that's nice how the cloned one of the most worthless breeds of dog there is. pitbulls should all be murdered. someone call michael vick.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

I think it will be a thriving industry for pets. You have little spot all your life growing up, but spot gets hit by a car, and you can't part with spot so you make a Spot copy. And Spot #2 is exactly the same as the other one and everyone is happy.

But for Humans, I think, we like to think that we have souls and that each of us is unique. So if we clone someone and it turns out that they have the exact same personality as the other, it will show that we really don't have a soul, but our personality is just due to the chemical and structural framework of our brains and it can be copied. This is a very interesting topic because, if you look at identical twins, they have different personalties, yet the exact same genes. So maybe we do have spirits/souls...hmmm.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

The food chain could be messed up if the wrong animal is cloned.

They clone in SMALL quantities...

Why are people even doing this?

Advancement in science.
Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

@tempo, that was one of the most brutal things i've ever heard... and in response too cloning, its too expensive for use in todays world. and its pretty useless. Maybe when we want too save an endangered species then cloning could potentially work.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

lol, vick.

Anyway, first off, how is cloning a "dirty deed"? I think that they could take this to new heights by cloning chickens and cows, and eventually, they could end world hunger. I think that cloning is going to go nowhere but up in the future. We can do so much with it. Scientists are working on a type of cloning that is going to let them build an entire new organ from some healthy organ cells in MINUTES!!. Imagine how many lives we could save by doing that!
We can also use cloning in the military, take a few hundred healthy, strong, young men, and clone them to make an army of cloned soldiers that will be less of an impact if they die. We can even beef them up with DNA coding and maybe even make a master chief- like soldier (without the regenerating armor, of course.) I think that cloning is going to help us in many ways.
Eventually, we could find out how to clone non- organic material and clone oil, therefore ending our fuel conflict.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

that's nice how the cloned one of the most worthless breeds of dog there is. pitbulls should all be murdered. someone call michael vick.

I'd just like to say this made me laugh. Now, getting into the serious matter...

Why are people even doing this? You are just asking for problems. There is no guarantee on what a cloned animal can do. Also, pitbulls are very vicious animals so why did we test on them? The food chain could be messed up if the wrong animal is cloned. Pit bulls are barely an impact but there are some animals who could drastically change it.
d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

WOW tempo013 thats messed up and its funny you referred to Michael Vick.

How's about we clone something else? Like a human or something...

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

We can also use cloning in the military, take a few hundred healthy, strong, young men, and clone them to make an army of cloned soldiers that will be less of an impact if they die

This goes to toward to show that human lives are nothing. Death is only painful in another's mind. Its only wrong to choose the original over the clone because his family has feelings for the original already.

If we sent the original off to die, he would not feel his own pain, but his family would.
If you send the clone, he dies and nothing.

Just saying since someone was likely to comment on that part.

But ehh cloning sure can get us somewhere, its no where near useless.
InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

The article for those who don't know what I'm talking about:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gTQGfmfMit_gfTDFqvBl-qJh_1tAD92C9V6O0

Anywho, these are very interesting reactions! Though, I do agree with tempo in some respects -- I'm not the biggest fan of pitbulls either, but that's because of my experience with them (yours might be different :P).

@Drace:
There's always the chance that certain people may not want small quantities. And there are also people who have ulterior motives (i.e. scientists may have different plans than others). It may sound like something out of a movie, but it could happen.

@Flipski:
Cloning humans -- now there's a sticky situation. Imagine cloning a loved one. It'd be nice, but the heart and soul of the original being is not there. You'd have to start over again, just like the lady and her puppy. That bond; that connection has to be 'restarted'. Of course, that's basing it on today's technology, maybe in a few years (or a few decades) science will eliminate that need (wouldn't that be creepy?)

@thepyro:
By 'dirty deeds' - I meant that cloning might be, literally, a messy situation *shrugs*

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

I'm not against cloning for any purpose. American scientists cloned a premature heart and grew it. When given a jolt of electricity, it started beating, and resisted dying again.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

And there are also people who have ulterior motives (i.e. scientists may have different plans than others).

All things being equal, mass-cloning of laboratory animals (i.e. must be ethics-approved and tightly regulated) may (just may) provide some valuable information in genetic animal studies. In the context of animal studies as pilot studies to highlight avenues of further research, research being the driver of a large degree of human development, this is important.

By 'dirty deeds' - I meant that cloning might be, literally, a messy situation *shrugs*

The commercial cloning of pets will naturally complicate our considerations given that it is novel. One might say that this would be counterproductive or even exacerbate issues of animal population management (i.e. abandoned and stray pets).

Currently, I would say that if commercially applied, cloning of pets would add a new extreme to the upmarket extravagance of the most wealthy, even more so than say poochie pamper sessions at the Beverly Hills remedial animal clinic or something. I imagine quite a few people would object to this kind of indulgence of whimsical sentimentalism.
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Catchy title, i like it.

Basically, cloning is wrong. You are making an exact replica of something, and it is fake, almost gross even. Anyway, most likely whatever is cloned will live a crappy life, because of the reasons why it is cloned. And you are taking away the original animals identity.

Also, have you heard that farmers are starting to clone cows. It will soon be availiable in YOUR local Fred Meyers. I heard that one on the news.

WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

Cloning can be used for good, and it can be used for evil. Using a blanket statement like "cloning is good/bad" is wrong because you have to think of all of it's purposes. Maybe defining all the possible uses for cloning would make people see it from a different perspective. What about endangered or nearly extinct animals? What if we could give them a second chance?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Basically, cloning is wrong. You are making an exact replica of something, and it is fake, almost gross even. Anyway, most likely whatever is cloned will live a crappy life, because of the reasons why it is cloned. And you are taking away the original animals identity.

Not to bully you Ricador, but I'll naturally disagree with some of your statements because of our stances and backgrounds. The below are not necessarily criticisms but considerations.

a) What exactly is wrong with replication?
b) What is the likelihood of a reduced quality of life in the event of cloning? Does cloning necessarily entail birth of a live organism?
c) How important is identity to animals, both human and non-human?
Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

Well, my clone(zega99) is bothering me. So I must say clones are bad, very bad infact, yet gross.

Showing 1-15 of 43