ForumsWEPRC-c-c-cloning!

43 7758
InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

If anyone cared to notice, my thread title is a reference to Chia pets :P -- which leads me to my next thought: cloning pets for commercial use.

It happened in South Korea. I'm sure most of you have read about it, a company actually produced 5 pitbull clones. The company is willing to do the dirty deed for $150,000 US (presumably).

Now, they've been cloning animals for a while now, and I'm pretty sure there have been topics regarding cloning as well. But, my question to all of you: what do you think the ramifications are when this business of cloning slowly goes up the food chain?

• 43 Replies
im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

I don't really want a little andrew following me around, I mean one andrew is enough but two? the armageddon might as well just come now because if there are two of me there will be too much fun =) haha.

im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

But then again if we run out of animals to eat would could just clone around 100 billion delicious cows/chickens or even better, both and survive on them =) that is the upside to it lol.

im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

sorry bout typo and posting three times but i meant we could not would could =), terribly sorry.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

But then again if we run out of animals to eat would could just clone around 100 billion delicious cows/chickens or even better

Uh...that doesn't work because cloning currently requires animals to reproduce in the first place. You can't make something out of nothing, after all.
tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

Anyone see "Multiplicity" with Michael Keaton? Enough said.

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

@Tempo:

Funny reference -- horrid movie though :P

Anyway, Strop provides a few key points. Animal cloning may open doors for human cloning, since (I assume) most product or health studies are done on animals. It's definitely a safer avenue to travel through, rather than gathering a few humans and testing on them, no?

The personality or identity of the animal may or may not matter. For example, most of the pets cloned have turned out to be puppies, or kittens, or whatever their most primal form may be (young'ns). A pet owner would have to start all over again by teaching them certain tricks, or just regaining that bond or connection.

Though, I might be terribly mistaken.

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

well they have "cloned" a dog in the US too i thought...not so much cloned but rebuild...sorta...the dog with memory and stuff...i forgot wat rlly happened

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

People are not only shaped by their DNA and genes, but by their experiences and small but stackable changes and influences.

DNA only shapes the physical content.
Rest has to do with experience. So unless you can replicate someone's brain, they wouldn't act the same.
Mac_MK
Mac_MK
752 posts
Nomad

I don't think its possible to do that right now but we have advanced pretty fast and still are getting better with technology

but if 1 country clones a human to send it to war the other country will find out how to do it as well and when 1 wins they gonna kill the real humans when they are taking over so what's the point of that

but cloning helps in other ways

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

I agree with Strop's points on page 2, cloning would have many uses although politics and religion will collide to stop many of them. For example, I seriously doubt we will clone humans for military purposes and have clone wars like in Star Wars lol. But, I do think it has practical uses that could be put to work.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

DNA only shapes the physical content.
Rest has to do with experience. So unless you can replicate someone's brain, they wouldn't act the same.

That's not true DNA has to do with personality as well.
Experience and genes are what make you who you are.
Non-religious: One of the reasons christens are anti-cloning, is that it proves the fact that the soul does not exist.
Religious: Even if a clone looks the same, is a soul anchored to a physical form? Can't a clone have it's own soul?
This is all depending on the existence of a divine force, which we are not here to debate.
verran
verran
16 posts
Nomad

clonig is like rebuliding something from itself. sort of like taking a puzzel with the exact same amount of pieces and making another one of it. i dont know im just rambling on now

verran
verran
16 posts
Nomad

cloning sounds really iffy though cause there is so much that cuold go wrong. like if this genetic reaserch dude want to suddenly take over the world about 500 years into the future and create a bunch a spider or alligator peoples, then that could be problimatic. i think that we should not study it that way the crazy in the pack of scientists wouldn't eventually end up to be a world dictator. like imagine a second hitler with millions of cloned nazis...

verran
verran
16 posts
Nomad

chowdollas, imagine u or ur parents were jews and u lived in europe and there was a second hitler guy. with enough research put into cloning he could clone millions and billions of nazis and try to take over the world. the chances of thios are slim but with the neccesary reseach of cloning he probably could acconplish it!

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

Even if a clone looks the same, is a soul anchored to a physical form? Can't a clone have it's own soul?
This is all depending on the existence of a divine force, which we are not here to debate.

You know what I say to that? There is only one way to find out.
Showing 16-30 of 43