ForumsWEPRParadoxes

33 7455
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I'm just interested to see how many of you think you know the answers to some paradoxes or just know some interesting paradoxes here is mine.

The sentence below is false.
The sentence below is true.

Which one is true?
How many paradoxes do you know?

"If you want peace, you must go to war"

• 33 Replies
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

edit

The sentence below is false.
The sentence above is true.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I think what happens here is they both cancel each other out, thus both are neither true or false!

A solution does not exist, therefore it is actually false.

if you want peace, you must go to war

This does is not a paradox. Peace and war are not directly related. War can bring peace, war can bring chaos, war can be nothing.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I think what happens here is they both cancel each other out, thus both are neither true or false!

If you could convince people of this, that would indicate that they 'want' a solution and are willing to bend semantics to do that.

Also, solutions existing doesn't mean that something is false, but rather that it is internally (and maybe recursively) non-sensical, which is the definition of a paradox. Under predicate logic, I'm not aware of any particular real-world application of paradoxes except to note that they exist.
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Zeno's Paradox is my favorite.

When I move towards an object, I have to move half way there (1/2 way there). Then I move half way again (3/4 way there). half way again (7/8). But if I have to keep moving half way to get to the object, how do I ever get there?

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

When I move towards an object, I have to move half way there (1/2 way there).

Why 1/2 there though?

My favorite:
Fat bastard from Austin Powers :P

I eat because I am miserable. I'm miserable because I eat

Although I'm not sure if this is paradox because it is rather solvable eh?
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Drace, thelistman, Zeno's paradox actually has to be carefully worded in order to compel the appropriate reading:

As you know, the hare challenged the tortoise to a race. But this time the hare decided to give the tortoise a headstart of half the course, then set off. But when the hare caught up to the tortoise's starting point, the tortoise had already covered half the distance from that point to the finish, and when the hare caught up to that point, yet another half. Would the hare ever be able to catch the tortoise?

The issue here is that the paradox is worded such that you're compelled to read as if there was a recursive relation in it. But if you were to derive an equation for the path of the tortoise and the hare, you'll find that their velocities are constant and therefore there's no real problem.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I eat because I am miserable. I'm miserable because I eat

I'd call this reflective of the positive feedback cycle of depression. The catchy way of saying it would be catch-22, as phrased in the WWII novel titled by that term: You have to be crazy to be exempt from flying missions, but you can't be crazy if you want out of missions!
im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

I suppose the answer would be there is no truth? and o make peace you must go to war, the answer to that would be to keep your family community country etc. safe you must go to war to keep peace in your country etc.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

I like one about the word everything

everything includes nothing but nothing means there is no everything

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Ah, again a semantic issue: this is not a paradox and can be explained by set notation.

"Nothing" is a member of the set "everything", therefore "nothing" does not entail "everything", but "everything" also entails "nothing".

However, if you then say that nothing and everything are mutually exclusive, the logical inconsistency is not in the logic, but because you've equivocated on "everything".

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

I learned about the tortoise and the hare one in school in grade 8, with the equation on the bored, they never finished the race, it was realy confusing,

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

If God can do anything, then He can make a stone so big He can't lift it. But, if He can't lift it, them He can't do everything 0_0

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

edit->"them" should be "then"

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'm sorry, I'm mentally incapacitated, due to the summer break, and unfortunately, this all looks just like a jumble of shapes to me. Essentially what you're saying is like something where two thing contribute to eachother, and thus make the situation impossible?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Argh, I had written a beautiful formal explanation of Xeno's paradox for your perusal and even had diagrams, then accidentally shut the tab and lost it >_<

Anyway.

If God can do anything, then He can make a stone so big He can't lift it. But, if He can't lift it, them He can't do everything 0_0

The omnipotence paradox! An evangelist's response to this would be that man ought not disbelieve on the basis of their limited reasoning, which is a slight to atheists everywhere.

As with all theism arguments, atheists are begging the question with this one because the above reasoning actually presupposes that God is a man-made creation bound by laws of reason, which theists reject anyway.
Showing 1-15 of 33