ForumsProgramming ForumI need help on game maker 7!!!

36 11947
JoyLord
JoyLord
42 posts
Nomad

i need help, i cant seem to get the action and event thing down. can someone help me? i dont get it.....

• 36 Replies
NightfangII
NightfangII
47 posts
Nomad

Have you looked through YoYo games' tutorials?

adissimo7
adissimo7
144 posts
Nomad

I can help you, what's wrong?

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

Yeah use the tutorial and I have no clue has to do anything with it :P

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Don't use Game Maker 7 problem solved! No but really learning to use it is hell cause it won't get you anywhere when you want to make real games! :S

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

True, true dat', Game maker isn't really like making Sonny or The last stand. It those games that are very boring. Try FlashCS3 Adobe. People use that. Get the trial.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Yeah, true don't use game maker 7 it is a bad program and even if you make a game its so limited in its capabilities it won't be good. You should really just use flash. Anyway you won't be able to post the game on armor games anyway unless its made in flash.

JoyLord
JoyLord
42 posts
Nomad

well i dont care, i just need something free, and besides, the last stand and sonny i dont like very well... i just need to know how you make things move, and controlling it. its so confusing!

NightfangII
NightfangII
47 posts
Nomad

If you need free game creation software, and don't want to learn a programming language, then go RPG Maker. Game maker is quite limiting, especially if you don't know how to use GML. (If you know GML it's just about the best free game developing package out there, not counting full fledged programming languages).
As for the help with GM7:
First thing, for an object it needs to be on the map.
All actions in an event will occur when the event occurs. i.e. if you add a Keyboard->Right event, then add a Move Free action with direction as 0 and speed as 10, the object will start moving right (0 degrees = right, 270 = up) at a speed of 10 pixels per frame.

How to make something move is actually rather simple. Add an action of when you want it to move, then add either Free Move or Move Fixed and set the speed to higher than 0.

As for controlling it, all of the events under Keyboard, Key Press, Key Release, and Mouse are user inputted actions. Just pick which one you want then add the actions.

On another note, why do you always type in bold?

JoyLord
JoyLord
42 posts
Nomad

ok what you said was a little confuzzling, but thank you.... ill try it...... and read the tutorial.... and rather i talk like this?

NightfangII
NightfangII
47 posts
Nomad

For reference: Game Maker 7 Tutorial Page
Do the "Your first game" tutorial. If you need any other help (maybe more specific?) I'd be happy help how I can. And also, eventually you'll want to learn GML if you continue to use Game Maker, and there is an add on that allows 3D graphics (I haven't used it).

And finally, can't you talk like normal? If you can, just color it or something. Bold and/or italic are just annoying to read.

lusiano1994
lusiano1994
9 posts
Nomad

´were i can get that program

JoyLord
JoyLord
42 posts
Nomad

thanks nightfang, i might need help.... and lusiano get it at yoyogames.com
does anybody know how to make a link?!?!

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

U mean in forum? Because here, it's:

{url=www.whateveryoursiteis.com}Words that will appear in blue{/url}

Just replace { and } with [ and ]

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

But you can't competently create good games.

im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

what do you mean by action and event? like tell me what the situation would be. Like an explosion or something, I'm not like a Game Maker expert but I did take a class at school that teaches you game maker and you can make your own games, I made some pretty cool ones but yeah just tell me what your trying to get the objects to do.

Showing 1-15 of 36