ForumsProgramming ForumActionscript 3

7 3223
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Hey, everyone tells me that Actionscript 3.0 is better to learn than the 2.0 version, is this true, and what are some good sites to learn it?

• 7 Replies
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Check out my game guide post. Yes it is better. Harder to learn but easier in the longrun.

LonLonRanch
LonLonRanch
172 posts
Nomad

Yes, AS 3 is quite a jump from AS 2 and I'm sure a lot of people have thought if it is really worth it to learn. I have actually read several different articles on the topic and at the end most people say that AS 3 is the way to go. And it will probably be around for a while so might as well learn it earlier than later

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

Is AS3 like AS2 with more functions, or is it totally rewired with new syntax and everything?

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Although a lot of familiarities it has new ways of writing everything... so you will have to relearn everything.

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

Ahh...boy.

But I'm up for the challenge!

mullet139
mullet139
2 posts
Nomad

as3 is just very object oriented. Where AS2 was oop but allowed for a lot more slack, AS3 forces oop a bit more but results in much more consistent, and faster executed code. Also there are some functions that can only be achieved with AS3

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

AS3 is much more modular and is better in the OOP aspect of coding, which is what games are built on primarily.

Showing 1-7 of 7