ForumsWEPRReligion-- in a nutshell

18 3939
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

My theory on religion is that every religion is sentimentally equal. For example, A bhuddist has the same rights to worship their gods as Christians do. Religion gives us hope. Religion gives us something to clear the blackened skies when tragedy strikes. The idea of there being a god also gives us an explanation to many things. Of course, creationism is just one theory out of many. Religion gives us something to hold onto when everything seems evil. It is really a tale of good vs evil. i.e. god vs the devil. I use Christianity because that is the only religion I at least half- understand. No religion is more right than the other. Look at the conflicts in the middle east. Each side has its own religion, and they are equal, because they are all fighting for it. If one religion was better and more true than the others, everyone else would just lay down their weapons and praise their god, but I don't see that happening.

What do you guys think?

• 18 Replies
iPC
iPC
146 posts
Nomad

Bhuddist? I think you mean Buddhist. And they don't really have gods.
You explained the reasons for the religions pretty well, I think.
And I agree that generally, every religion is sentimentally equal. Some cases, like the Aztec's, aren't.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

I do agree that everyone should be able to follow whatever religion they want to. I don't really follow a religion and I don't go to church. Does that make me a bad person? No, because I do good things for people. All in all, follow what you want to and don't try to shove it in someone's face.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Some sound dumber to others for me.

Its about which one is the true one. Christians think it is Christianity and Muslims think its Islam.

How can you say one religion is equal to the other?

Maybe I read wrong.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Have you read the bible? (Anyone) How about other books? I'm reading the Bahagivat-Gita now, next is the korahn.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Hmmm... remember the Rastafarian's? A religion that practices the usage of illegal substances needs to be thought of carefully.

SuperzMcShort
SuperzMcShort
325 posts
Nomad

Look at the conflicts in the middle east. Each side has its own religion, and they are equal, because they are all fighting for it. If one religion was better and more true than the others, everyone else would just lay down their weapons and praise their god, but I don't see that happening.

Most conflicts in the middle east are based in politics rather then religious values. As an example, eople often think of bin Laden as being a religious extremist, but the reasons that he gave for attacking the US were all political.

Hmmm... remember the Rastafarian's? A religion that practices the usage of illegal substances needs to be thought of carefully.

It's not illegal everywhere, and you only think that things are wrong based on your notions of good/evil which in turn was formed based upon how you were raised. What makes Rastafarianism any worse then any other religion in that it gives people comfort and hope?
Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

http://i35.tinypic.com/xbbgqp.jpg

hehe

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Okay arax, I giggled but that's spam :P

So in a nutshell (lol), this thread is about the merits of unitarian universalism.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

@Drace, I think Pyro is trying to say that every religion has an equal value, not an the equality of correctness or belief. Maybe more of saying that every religion should have equal respect.

tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

perfectly put Estel.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I am saying that we should respect everyone's religion rather than try and haze someone because he is jewish or islamic. I am saying that every religion is right, because We has humans create god. He did not create himself. I guess you couldn't call me an athiest, but I believe in all religions. @Estel, you are correct, that is really what I am saying, and the christians think that their religion is the best in the world, and the islams think that they are the best in the world... and so on. You can see where I am going.

dizzyk
dizzyk
423 posts
Nomad

This is slightly off-topic but interesting so I'll present it non-the-less.

St. Thomas Aquinas, an ancient philosopher, wrote a very interesting treaty on the existence of God. He believed he had several proofs for the existence of God. I am interested in what you all think about his theories.

Caution it may be a dense, complex read for some of the posters. But, you should all enjoy a challange.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/aquinas3.html

Midnightday
Midnightday
86 posts
Nomad

I am saying that every religion is right,

I don't know about that. I think that at least one has to be actually true, and maybe that one may not even be right. But nevertheless every religion should be treated with respect.

That is, until we get actual proof that makes scientists finally become religious. But I don't see that day coming soon.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Every religion is right, because every religion has equal proof. Each one has ancient texts, and nothing else. Saying that Christianity is more important than let's say, Hinduism is crazy, because they both have equal proof.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

@midnightday, even then i dont think others should be forced to belive it, every religion thinks they have proof that theirs is right

Showing 1-15 of 18