ForumsWEPRIndependence

8 2156
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Since the collapse of the Cold War, nation after nation declared independence from the fallen Soviet Union. Afterwards, Yugoslavia fell apart and split into several nations. In 2008, Kosovo declared independence from Serbia. Now a new region is trying to obtain independence. South Ossetia is a region of Georgia that has been rebelling for a long time. Georgia has surrounded the rebel capital, and Russia is threatening to get involved.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7548715.stm

For a while, I used to support many independence causes. In many cases, a smaller nation was declaring itself independent from a large and oppressive nation. But recently, more and more ethnic groups are trying to become independent for who know what reason. It's come to the point now where it seems every ethnic group on Earth wants a state for itself. So what does it take to justify independence? Who deserves independence? What qualifications should be required?

• 8 Replies
tempo013
tempo013
581 posts
Nomad

i feel that any nation that wants to be independent should be. It should be the peoples choice. to bad most governments don't feel that way.

dizzyk
dizzyk
423 posts
Nomad

Sometimes I just want to pull a Thearou, go out to the woods, make myself a little hut, live off the land as best I can and (unlike) Thearou never come back. That's my independence.

BUt then I think about books, my friends, and movies, music, and Sushi and decide I can deal with peoples B.S.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

It should be the peoples choice. to bad most governments don't feel that way.

The government loses power once its divided...
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I think that the SU was bad in the first place, and the idea of communism is really dumb. I really think that we will never have a perfect gov't.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Anyone can call themselves an independent nation, but it all depends on whether or not they are recognized as one. This has been the major problem with many of these small nations that want independence so they can maintain a cultural or ethnic identity but ultimately the rest of the world has to see it that way - which doesn't happen very often.
The borders and definitions of a country are entirely man made (obviously) and forming a new country must adhere to this definition. There is no great "cause" or &quoturpose" to this system, it's simply how we classify and define certain things. When any country assesses the independence of another new country they're going to take into account several factors:
1) What's in it for us?
2) What are the ramifications of this (both good and bad)?
3) Will it increase stability in the region (and is that what we want)?
4) What would foreign relations be like with this new country?

Clearly there are many more factors than this, but looking at what's at stake in forming a new nation it's surprising they are ever formed at all! Unless they have the support of a few superpowers, like Israel did.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I think that the SU was bad in the first place, and the idea of communism is really dumb. I really think that we will never have a perfect gov't.

The SU was a super power...

and I'll ignore the next statement -.-
Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

Moe is right. Tibet considered itself an independent nation and China apparently didn't.

Mac_MK
Mac_MK
752 posts
Nomad

Well they got their rights to be independent so why not be one

Showing 1-8 of 8