ForumsWEPRDo Actions Speak Louder than Words?

18 6450
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Simply, do you think that someone's actions have more influence than words do? This idea sparked into my mind while I was reading, "Ender's Game," which is a very great book, that contains a bit of military and political intelligence.

I'll give both stances with back-up to support each.

Actions

So this means that actions have more influence on someone than words do. Now to support "actions," I'll give some examples.

You are a child, and you have done something wrong. You mom or dad will spank you. Now this influences you to try and not repeat that one action, because of the pain of spanking. You score a goal in a soccer game. The claps and cheering make you feel real good about yourself, so you want to score even more goals. Now some may say that, "He'll score more goals because that's the point of the game!" Well I'd think that you'd want to score more if there were people clapping than if there were people that didn't.

Of course there's always room to expand this point, but I'll save that for later in the debate.

Words

Words, are just a spoken language, that can't physically harm you at all, but can change you mentally.

I really think that if Strop was to tell everyone on this site, that the world will end next week using big words, and relate to the readers, then alot of people would believe him. Since Strop is probably one of the most intelligent people on this site, alot of people will follow him, just based off his past debates. Also, you have to think of Switchfoot. He manipulated sooo many people on this site to thinking he was a 20 year old, when he is actually just 14 or so. When he got banned, a riot went out, just because of his words said on this site.

Now of course, the manipulation that destroyed so many. Adolf Hitler. When Hitler was younger, he started what was called, Hitler's Youth, which was a school, that taught Hitler's opinions on Jews, and military power. Those children grew up and turned into what we call the Nazis. Just because of what Hitler told them as children, they turned into the monsters that destroyed a good portion of the Jewish population.

Now what do you think is more influential?

• 18 Replies
HeIIdud296
HeIIdud296
274 posts
Peasant

Well Actions speak louder than words is just a phrase but it has a big meaning. Some people dont even do what they say. So when you do the action that shows more than just words. So doing actions is louder than words

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

basically, I am going to use an example. If I say that I am going to kill someone, it means less than if I actually do it. Actions are louder than words

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

The speaking of this matter is quite unanswerable to me.

It really matters as to how much of actions and how much of words you are talking about. Better yet, the quality of actions and the words.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

I think they both have situations where they are better. Actions show but they do not explain. For your first example, the child is not told why he is being spanked. Yes, you can tell them but now you are using words to explain.

Words explain but they do not show. It is like reading a book. Sometimes you might get something out of it while other times it just doesn't have an effect.

So we basically come down to specific situations. In some cases actions are better while other cases, words are better.

tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

Ender's Game is a classic.

I've always figured that there's a time and a place for the right actions, just as there's a time and place for the right words.

cycloolephin
cycloolephin
73 posts
Nomad

Actions speak louder than words. Yes. But actions are not always noted. However, if you do an action and then tell somebody that you did it, they may think you're a jerk.

Kanos
Kanos
175 posts
Nomad

Actions dont speak on the computer - but words on here can do so much damage.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Of course not on the computer. We're all seperated, with our only connection being AG.

@TR, for the first example, words simply wouldn't be strong, because he is a child, and probably won't listen. Action and pain is something a child can somewhat understand.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

My brother told me all the time not to smoke or drink. But when I saw him tanked every night and smoking 2 packs a day, that made much more of an impact. I was influenced by my brothers habits. I did pick up smoking in college (thankfully I've quit). I have also gone binge drinking several times. I have control over these issues now. Someone can say all they want, but it's their actions that are louder.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

Why are you telling me that actions speak louder than words with words? That doesn't support your argument. Why don't you show me the actions speak louder?

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

@TR, for the first example, words simply wouldn't be strong, because he is a child, and probably won't listen. Action and pain is something a child can somewhat understand.

That is why my point was that some situations need actions while some situations need words. Here is my example when words are better than actions.

Your kid is just not trying hard in school. Can you physically do an action to make him try hard? Spanking/hitting him is not going to make him try harder. However, if you sit down with him and explain the consequences he faces for not trying, it would make more of an impact than just hitting him.
thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

Think of it this way:

If u don't like someone do you think they would get the message better by being punched in the face, or simply told.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

If u don't like someone do you think they would get the message better by being punched in the face, or simply told.

Telling someone you hate them is clear and to the point. Punching them does not prove anything. For girls, gossip does much worse damage then a punch.
thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

I never said hate, that is to strong of a word, a lot of people say it without thinking but it actually means you want them to go to hell.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

actions do speak louder than words.

If you hit a person in the face they will think 1 of 2 things:
1. WHAT THE !@#$ ?! JERKOFF!!!
2. (somwhat) Gawd, why the !@#$ do you hate me?!

while if you just say "i hate you" they won't really care or they will just be an *ss and burn u.

If you gave someone a hug instead of an "I luvs joo" the person could be creeped out, or they could think that it's sweet.

Showing 1-15 of 18