ForumsWEPRMaslow's theory of Human Motivation and Productivity

20 7743
J4son
J4son
405 posts
Nomad

Maslow is an author who wrote a story and created a pyramid on the basic fundamentals of the human need. He did such to spawn from basic living needs to the happier thoughts and complication of being human, saying the higher up the mindset the better your motivation and working ability is.

The Pyramid Hierarchy simply goes like this:

Self-Actualization

Esteem

Love/Belonging

Safety

Physiological(basic needs of biology)

A more complex version that is a famous image now by managers and in the workplace is http://elearningdevnews.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/maslows_hierarchy_of_needs.gif

or if the Image is not viewed paste into the URL bar this website, http://elearningdevnews.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/maslows_hierarchy_of_needs.gif

The pyramid shows creativity being one of the highest pivots and food and excretion as the lowest.

The pyramid is quite contreversial but is argued that since people argue that love for example may be more important that creativity then it should be the base, but when reading his documents it proves that this is a step in the ladder and is common for motivation.

It also states that you should have the lower steps in the hierarchy before fully achieving the higher ones.

Since the theory is in common use and is quite debatable share your opinion on thus.

"I agree with most of it and enjoy saying I fully love the highest tier! I read his book recently and it's quite well done up, but it's hard to create the best opinion without full knowledge so if you have any questions message me."-me

http://www.productivity501.com/personal-productivity-from-management-theory-maslow/27/
Authored by Mark Shead, published by www.productivity501.com, October 28, 2005.

http://elearningdevnews.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/maslows_hierarchy_of_needs.gif

Gary Hegenbart's comment blog, published by www.wordpress.com 2007
Image originally produced in Mr. Maslow's book and now released as public domain.

• 20 Replies
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

It was a quote :P

Humans are to enjoy their life as they live, work is not to be done so restrictions to opportunity of pleasure are decreased, but to ensure that the opportunities are always available.

Work is bad because you are doing it so you can live your own life. You work to "buys" you your life. You are born with nothing, and you must work to provide yourself.

It should be done for something you love...thus, shouldn't be payed for it. I wonder how many doctors chose the profession just because of high pay, and how many of the poor would love to be doctors because they really love the job.

This is a reason why I adore communism. (Sorry had to say it)

tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

Jason, I didn't start reading these forums right away. I have always found Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs fascinating.

It dovetails rather neatly with Piaget's theories of cognitive development.

Before he died, he added another tier to the top of the pyramid: Self-Transcendance. You might want to check that out.

Self-transcendence - a transegoic level that emphasizes visionary intuition, altruism, and unity consciousness.

Transegoic means a higher, psychic, or spiritual state of development. The trans is related to transcendence, while the ego is based on Freud's work. We go from preEGOic levels to EGOic levels to transEGOic. The EGO in all three terms are used in the Jungian sense of consciousness as opposed to the unconscious. Ego equates with the personality.
In Maslow's model, the ultimate goal of life is self-actualization, which is almost never fully attained but rather is something to always strive towards. Peak experiences are temporary self-actualizations.

Maslow later theorized that this level does not stop, it goes on to self-transcendence, which carries us to the spiritual level, e.g. Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Dalai Lama, or even poets, such as Robert Frost. Maslow's self-transcendence level recognizes the human need for ethics, creativity, compassion and spirituality. Without this spiritual or transegoic sense, we are simply animals or machines.

In addition, just as there are peak experiences for temporary self-actualizations; there are also peak experiences for self-transcendence. These are our spiritual creative moments.

While the research of Maslow's theory has undergone limited empirical scrutiny, it still remains quite popular due to its simplicity and being the start of the movement away from a totally behaviorist/reductionistic/mechanistic approach to a more humanistic one. In addition, a lot of concerns are directed at his methodology: Pick a small number of people that he declares self-actualizing; read and talk about them; and come to the conclusion about self-actualization. However, he understood this, and thought of his work as simply a method of pointing the way, rather than being the final say. In addition, he hoped that others would take up the cause and complete what he had begun.

Leadership and Human Behavior-Maslow
XeroGeez
XeroGeez
90 posts
Nomad

I dislike philosophers and theorists. I know what I know, and I know what I want to know. I don't need a "genius" telling me to question my life.

tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

I dislike philosophers and theorists. I know what I know, and I know what I want to know. I don't need a "genius" telling me to question my life.

Nothing wrong with that XG.

I find studying the ideas of others helps me better understand my own.
bbyers9113
bbyers9113
283 posts
Nomad

Everyone here seems to be focusing Maslow's theor into a workplace setting. This is not what he intended. He meant for it to be about improving your life, not just your job. Obviously there are some exceptions to specific things on each tier. One does not need to fulfill every single item on each tier to move on to the next one. By having so many on the bottom tier, Maslow was simply referring to the fact that if one was starving for food, they would not care to focus on anything else until the fulfilled that need. As previously stated, one does not need sex to move to the next tier, but I assure you, they need food.

Showing 16-20 of 20