ForumsWEPRMaslow's theory of Human Motivation and Productivity

20 7748
J4son
J4son
405 posts
Nomad

Maslow is an author who wrote a story and created a pyramid on the basic fundamentals of the human need. He did such to spawn from basic living needs to the happier thoughts and complication of being human, saying the higher up the mindset the better your motivation and working ability is.

The Pyramid Hierarchy simply goes like this:

Self-Actualization

Esteem

Love/Belonging

Safety

Physiological(basic needs of biology)

A more complex version that is a famous image now by managers and in the workplace is http://elearningdevnews.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/maslows_hierarchy_of_needs.gif

or if the Image is not viewed paste into the URL bar this website, http://elearningdevnews.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/maslows_hierarchy_of_needs.gif

The pyramid shows creativity being one of the highest pivots and food and excretion as the lowest.

The pyramid is quite contreversial but is argued that since people argue that love for example may be more important that creativity then it should be the base, but when reading his documents it proves that this is a step in the ladder and is common for motivation.

It also states that you should have the lower steps in the hierarchy before fully achieving the higher ones.

Since the theory is in common use and is quite debatable share your opinion on thus.

"I agree with most of it and enjoy saying I fully love the highest tier! I read his book recently and it's quite well done up, but it's hard to create the best opinion without full knowledge so if you have any questions message me."-me

http://www.productivity501.com/personal-productivity-from-management-theory-maslow/27/
Authored by Mark Shead, published by www.productivity501.com, October 28, 2005.

http://elearningdevnews.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/maslows_hierarchy_of_needs.gif

Gary Hegenbart's comment blog, published by www.wordpress.com 2007
Image originally produced in Mr. Maslow's book and now released as public domain.

• 20 Replies
J4son
J4son
405 posts
Nomad

People obviously don't care. but for the hell of it I'll leave a sublimely not caring titled bump.

Jtwolf22
Jtwolf22
143 posts
Nomad

What are you insinuating. What the purpose of this thread. What do you want to debate about, you have to put it in simpler terms. My fellow esteemed colleague.

J4son
J4son
405 posts
Nomad

Haha, I'm saying that as methods of motivation are created, and I assure you with the methods and books I've read there are many that vary, Maslow's theory of motivation is one of the most contreversial ones because it's one of the first to include personal needs in work ethic to create a smoother functioning worker.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I don't see how acquiring those factors makes one any more productive.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Perhaps let's think about it in different terms: how being deprived of those factors makes one less productive.

That is to say, where Maslow's model may come in most effectively is in the office setting, and the corporate world. Sometimes less is more.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Have you ever met a 40 year-old virgin? Someone like that has obviously lived through that, but there was one man (on 1 vs 100) whom was a 40 year-old virgin, and he was an executive for Google. Sounds pretty productive to me.

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

Drace, like everyone says, whenever you post you contradict yourself.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I'd say productivity relies merely on mood and want. I don't see these things making up moods or wanting to.

Morality, creativity, problem solving???

Cmon sex is on the bottom. As I heard, people do it for good jobs

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Drace, like everyone says, whenever you post you contradict yourself.

I go for quality not quantity.
Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

okay, this is getting the thread off topic, so, drace, if you want to continue arguing, do it off the community thread please.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I like those theories. I think that is the exact thing we need for the work place/ to be motivated. I think of it more as a table with 4 legs. If one is not there, the table is unstable and will fall. Just like with a worker. If one of those four pyramid slices are taken away, then the worker will falter, and give a bad job performance. I think that that is how the work place should be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/thepyro222/TheSicknessisRising.png

Join the Sickness

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Whorable idea to use it in the workplace

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

Abraham Maslow married his cousin, Bertha.

I just wanted to give that tidbit to this amazing conversation.

Anywho, this theory is mostly used within regards to those who work in the office setting and/or "business" in general. It's taught in highschool, college, university and one could say by fulfilling the bottom needs, we'd be happier and more motivated to work.

...but to me, it comes down to: people and pay. Very general things, though they do tend to make life easier or better. If you work with people you enjoy, you have a motivation to go to work (i.e. working at the local fast food joint, I liked my co-workers, and I enjoyed working with them, despite the actual work). There's also pay. I got bills, minimum wage is good enough for me! (Course, that's just an example :P)

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

To make work fun you must make work not be work.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

To make work fun you must make work not be work

Lol! That is a very interesting quote, but it rings true like a... I can't think of a good simile right now, but for once, I agree with you, Drace. It is the mentality of it being work that makes it boring and stupid, and we will never change that. Unless we don't have work, but that in itself is crooked, because if people didn't work and they just got money from the bank/ gov't, then people would want a place to work, to do something with their day. Work is also good if you are in a field that you absolutely adore, just like I want to be an auto mechanic or an improv actor, and I couldn't see myself sitting at a desk.
Showing 1-15 of 20