ForumsSupport ForumJust wondering...

9 2064
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

I've noticed that when games come out, their rating is rather high, then after a few hours the rating drops sharply. I've always wondered why. Does anyone know?

• 9 Replies
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

That happens because as more people play, not everyone is going to like the game, you know? The game may start out rather high but lots of people may not like that game, and besides that, a lot of other people rate games without even playing them, so yeah..not every game is going to stay up there like Sonny or LS2.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Yeah, but shouldn't some in that case, improve in rating? I've never seen any do that.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

A lot of the new games in like, the past week have been pretty bad. That is probably why they have been doing that. Again, like Ryan said, not everyone likes all games.
The ratings do on average. So if One new game is played and the first ten players give it at least an 8/10, the rating should be somewhere around 8-9.5/10. The high rating makes the game look interesting, so more people catch on, and most people don't like the game and give it like a 3/10, the rating is going to shoot down when the new ratings get factored in.

ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

Well, that has happened a lot, has it not? Games such as Totem Destroyer, Bubble Tanks 2, Protector, Dolphin Olympics and other have stayed up or gone back up after dropping.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Dolphin Olympics, when I looked 2 days before, had a rating of 9.3. Now what? 8.1.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I've noticed that when games come out, their rating is rather high, then after a few hours the rating drops sharply. I've always wondered why. Does anyone know?

This tends to be a trend on all gaming sites. If you look at a game score on Newgrounds before and after it hits front page, the score usually drops quite a bit. It just seems like the more exposure a game is given, the more chance it has to drop in score.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

That kind of sucks, actually.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

I am guessing the rating of the game starts out at 10/10. As more people play, the rating lowers to the actual average score. They wouldn't start a game out at 0/10.

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

They always start at perfect 10. Then after a minute or two, we can watch it crash and burn to the ground. Only the toughest stay alive. That would be games like Sonny and Last Stand 2.

Showing 1-9 of 9