ForumsThe TavernYOMC Community Service Announcement 1

8 1782
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Your weekly source of hints and tricks to becoming a better member.

Ye One Man Clan Community Service Announcement 1
Trolls

Have you ever seen such a nasty creature with bloodstained tusks and a giant club raised over it's head bash people's brains out before? I haven't, but I have witnessed trolls in the comforts of my own home. I am talking about Forum Trolls.

Not too many trolls have made ArmorGames their target of attack, lucky for everyone here, but there have been attacks before none the less. If there is a troll attacking the community, do not panic! Panic will only cause chaos and chaos only feeds the troll. I shall teach you, what to do if you see a troll.

<-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*->

What exactly is a troll?

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
-Wikipedia

How can I spot a troll?
Trolls come in many different forms. The most common form of troll makes posts that are crude and insulting for the purpose of bringing out negative emotions in people. In some cases, trolls have been known to go as far as posting innapropriate content. If you see a member posting a bunch of crude insulting posts then they are most likely a troll.

What do I do when I see a troll?
If you spot a troll, what you do depends on what the troll is doing and how many threads it is attacking. Most trolls attack one random thread at a time. Sometimes they attack a whole topic. In some of the more rare and serious cases, they will attack the whole forum. Just remember the most important rule when dealing with such terrible beasts. Do Not Feed The Trolls

If you spot a troll, report the troll to an online mod (if you find someone has already reported the troll, do not report it again to the same exact mod). After you report the troll, ignore it! Do not talk to the troll at all, no matter how tempting it is!

If you ignore the troll and you find that it still attacks the thread you are trying to enjoy, then stop posting in that thread untill either the troll leaves or untill a mod bans it. Sometimes you will have to stop posting in that whole topic, depending how desperate the troll is. In the most extreme cases, you may even have to avoid chatting in the community all together untill the troll leaves.

If you notice that the troll postes in the top 4 or 5 threads in a topic. Do not bump up other older topics. They will only be spammed as well.

How can I help get rid of trolls?
The best way to get rid of trolls is to simply ignore them and report them to a mod. If you feel that you must help get rid of trolls, follow these directions carefully.

Many people try to get rid of trolls, these people usually cause more harm than good despite their intentions. Don't be a hero!

Do not talk to the troll. It is alright to say what its doing is wrong only if you are the first person to do so. If someone else already warned the troll of its bad behavior then whatever you do, do not talk to it... ever! If you are the first person to warn the troll, remember that one warning is enough. Do not talk to the troll anymore after this point.

If you find a troll is attacking a thread, and if people in that thread are arguign with the troll and the troll is taunting back, it is apropriate to post that everyone should ignore the troll. Be carefull, posting this will also feed the troll so only post this once and only when you find people trying to attack the troll verbally.

If you post in a thread that everyone should ignore the troll, sometimes you will find people will ignore your words and keep fighting the troll anyways. Do not post again within that same thread. Instead explain to the person under their profile comment that they are best off ignoring the troll. If that person still insists on talking to the troll, despite your warnings, do not waste your time with them and let them be. Some people can't be helped and if they choose to feed the troll despite your warning, then warning them becomes nothing more than a waste of your time and in a sence, spam in its own way.

Basic Rules
1.Do not feed the troll (Ignore it to starve it!)
2.Do not bump older posts up if you beleive they will be attacked as well.
3.Do not go over board with warning people. This can quickly become as anoying as the troll himself.

<-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*->

This CSA is based off prior experiance, mild research, and opinions of other people.
  • 8 Replies
kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

Wait lol... aren't you the only member of the one man clan?

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

Pfft, trolls are nothing when I have my broadsword of might equipped.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

Wait lol... aren't you the only member of the one man clan?

I bet you're the smartest person in your kindergarten class.
plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

Just burn the source of the trolls... DUH.

YOMC_CSA_Library
YOMC_CSA_Library
1 posts
Nomad

Yes, I am the only member = )

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Yes I am the only member.

I plan on making more (a weekly thing) and that acount is suposed to house all the links so I or any other user may quickly jump announcement to announcement.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

Just burn the source of the trolls... DUH.

you mean 4chan?
purpledinosaur
purpledinosaur
679 posts
Peasant

just turn them to stone duh like in the hobbit well a troll does not stand a chance agains a grenade launcher lol

Showing 1-8 of 8