ForumsSupport ForumPower to the forum-ers!

53 6645
Shark7996
Shark7996
373 posts
Nomad

I feel like it's about time to give the people in the forums a little more power. After all, the mods can't do absolutely EVERYTHING. I think that we should be given the power to lock a thread after certain number of votes, and maybe the person who made the thread can just lock it themselves after a certain number of time. Also, we should be able to punish spammers, as in, after a certain number of votes against the spammer, the spammer loses 50 AP.

I mean, spam is EVERYWHERE, but it's not getting taken care of. For example, someone had the nerve to make a thread called "ahhhhhhhhhhhh". It is nothing but spam, but it's still going, three hours later. We should be able to stop these things, don't you agree?

• 53 Replies
plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

Voting is bad for anything because you can jsut form a group and vote against them for no reason.

Shark7996
Shark7996
373 posts
Nomad

Well, I'm getting kind of sick of that being an excuse for everything. We need to figure out some kind of compromise.

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

Well, I agree, We should be able to lock forum topics but some people might abuse it and a spammer shouldn't loose that many points.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

I think that the mods are doing a great job, and they don't need help locking threads. if there is a spam thread, it will be deleted eventually. I someone is spamming, all you have to do is notify the mods. you do have the power to stop spammers. it's called the flag button. proper action will be taken eventually as long as you just notify the mods.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Lige has a great point. Just ignore the spammers. It ticks me off when I see a spammer psot one spam thread, then 20 people comment it saying "This is spam! LOCK!"

The people who keep posting in spam threads are the ones making the spam worse by keepign it bumped up. Though AG members have been much better about that lately. = )

If you want to help get rid of spam, simply ignore it and report it (but dont report every small spam article). Spam is realy not that bad at all on this site. It is only bad if you let the small amounts of spam here get to you.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

yeah, I do wish that they had an edit button on the forums.

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

teh only part i like is being able to lock ur own thread...

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

No, disagree. The Mods are here to stop spam and let us have fun on this Gaming site. The site is about gaming, not the forums. The mods would crash and burn, and eventually, everyone would be a a mod.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Haha, too bad, but Dan names the mods, and he wouldn't name anyone not worthy....

And to be honest, this site is not just a gaming site. This site has a very good community, and many intelligent people to debate with. This site has revolutionized into a gaming AND community site in my opinion. And there's also spam on games, not just forums...

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

yeah, I do wish that they had an edit button on the forums.

I agree with that.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I honestly think that it is giving a little too much power to the regulars. With your spam idea, depending on the # of votes required, a team could gang up on a player they didn't like, and vote him down when he did not spam. talk to me on my prof for more.

Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

more mods will be chosen as more members meet the criteria to become an AG moderator. Just give it time and someone shall rise up and punish the spammers!

Giving regular members mod powers would just make everyone power hungry. Think of the arguments the voting process would cause.

*Walks away sad with monster drink in hand*

rumen
rumen
307 posts
Nomad

What about, if being able to vote requires 500 forum posts for example, not many people would risk their points/ account for this.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Nah, to be honest, there are alot of people that have many forum posts, but almost half (or more) of them are either spam, or borderline it.

And when you talk about risk. This is a gaming site. There's no risk. It's just a site.

Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

still, a very bad idea. Just give it time and more mods shall rise from the mud :P

Showing 1-15 of 53