ForumsSupport ForumEdit Button.

14 2520
Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

Now, I'm sure this has been suggested many times, but it would be really nice if there was an edit button. uhhh... yeah.... that is all.

• 14 Replies
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Well, if you knew it was suggested many times (which it is) then why make this topic? It's been suggested, and possibly put into the site, but that is really all we know. It could work, as long as it shows the original post, so no one will edit spam.

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

yes it would be best...id like to lock my own thread as well...

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

This has been brought up a lot of times, but I still like the idea.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

what do you mean "Edit spam"? I really don't see a way that you spam with an edit button.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

Estel, Lige meant Having an edit button for your own posts, I think.

exactly, giving members power to edit other peoples posts is just stupid.
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Ahhh, well Lige, I thought that you meant an edit button for regular posts. If a spammer, spammed on a topic, he/she could just go back and edit it, and not get caught.

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Estel, Lige meant Having an edit button for your own posts, I think.

ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, this has been suggested before. I like the idea for such cases as links or if I spell something wrong. If the link doesn't work, then I could edit it without having to double post.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

If a spammer, spammed on a topic, he/she could just go back and edit it, and not get caught.

Well, if they edited it to not get caught, then it would have to not be spam, so basically they wouldn't be spamming. Does that make any sense?
Shark7996
Shark7996
373 posts
Nomad

Well, if they edited it to not get caught, then it would have to not be spam, so basically they wouldn't be spamming. Does that make any sense?

I agree with that. If it was a worthless comment at first but gets changed to a truly valuable comment, and no AP are gained, then there's really no problem.
hellian00
hellian00
874 posts
Nomad

maybe the mods/admins can see the original posts so they can see if that user is spamming/being abusive or something and take note of it...

That's a really good idea. Just don't have the original visible to regular members.
Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

well actually most forums put a note at the bottom of an edited post that looks like this so that you'll know that it was edited.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk295/CosmicCharlie123/untitled-11.jpg?t=1218841062

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

Well a while ago when this was suggested, people said it was a bad idea because people could just edit it to say something else if they had originally said something bad, or the other way around. I think it should be more of an 'add-on', not an edit button. It'd be like this:

Person says: Aug. 15, '08
Check [url=www.brokenlink.com]this out!
------------------------------------------
Person added: Aug. 15, '08
Oops, sorry about that, here's that link!

Or something of that nature, so it's editing, but then it's also showing the original information as well.

Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

This has already been suggested before, and many times.
As Raptor says, we need to instaure an editing system which doesn't alter the original message.
I think the developers are working on it, we'll just have to wait.

Showing 1-14 of 14